why do people watch sports?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
i'm not saying i think its stupid or anything, i just never understood why people do.explain.

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    this was the only response i could figure, yeah i mean, when i see an amazing drummer or some great breaking crew or whatever im always like ...so that aspect makes sense to me.

i guess never really playing sports or caring about them in the least bit makes it hard to understand, however, if it counts, skate videos do get a similar reaction out of me sometimes.

makes enough sense, THREAD OVER

• Is it really that different a question than when a non-record geek asks you "how can you spend hours just looking at old records"? If it's something you've never had particular interest in then it's probably not something where you'll understand how other people can be so fascinated by it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    It's like music,art, science, theatre, language....it's one of the ways we express ourselves as humans that goes back to the beginning of existence. It makes people work together, achieve together while excelling individually as well. people want to watch it because it excites them and they see a range of emotions in it. I don't think this is any great mystery to grasp, it's a basic part of life, physical expression.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    yeah, watched the suns last night - this season might be fun.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    I'm starting to ask myself the same question. I'd say entertainment, although there is little enjoyment to be had watching English football these days.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i'm not saying i think its stupid or anything, i just never understood why people do.

explain.

Do you enjoy watching this competion? Did you ever run a race against your friends as a kid? Did you ever try to pull a girl before your hommie did? Did you ever try to catch the bus/train? Ever try to challenge yourself to out perform the previous dj?
    Competition! Plain and simple.

Have you ever seen Stockton to Malone.
    I can go on for days about the intricate beauties of the dance.

Not all sports fans are hotdog eatin' parking lot tailgaters.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    It's like music,art, science, theatre, language....it's one of the ways we express ourselves as humans that goes back to the beginning of existence.

Basketball is expressive... now why people watch football and baseball or, frankly, why those sports even exist, I will never understand.

It's like music,art, science, theatre, language....it's one of the ways we express ourselves as humans that goes back to the beginning of existence.

Basketball is expressive... now why people watch football and baseball or, frankly, why those sports even exist, I will never understand.

I'm mainly a basketball guy. Watching a no hitter in baseball iz tha shit.Watching a black quarterback revolutionize the position iz tha shit. Watching 125mph serves in tennis iz tha shit. Hearing the ladies grunt in tennis iz tha shit.
    Now why poeple watch Daytona/Indy...............???

• competition's good - it brings out the vital parts....

I a b-ball cat now, but when I was a kid I played most sports, but played tennis seriously and for me it was a test of my ability against someone.

watching it now is about seeing one's (or a team's) will and resolve against another. I was at that both Reggie Miller 8 points in 8 secs and the infamous "choke" game vs the Knicks and I gotta tell you he made me so fucking angry that he wouldn't give up I still have problems with that cat!!!! There's even a tape of me whining/crying on NY1 after the game trying to explain how disappointed I was the Knicks were put outta the playoffs!!!

competition's good - it brings out the vital parts....

I a b-ball cat now, but when I was a kid I played most sports, but played tennis seriously and for me it was a test of my ability against someone.

watching it now is about seeing one's (or a team's) will and resolve against another. I was at that both Reggie Miller 8 points in 8 secs and the infamous "choke" game vs the Knicks and I gotta tell you he made me so fucking angry that he wouldn't give up I still have problems with that cat!!!! There's even a tape of me whining/crying on NY1 after the game trying to explain how disappointed I was the Knicks were put outta the playoffs!!!

When the season starts we can talk shit all day. Diehard Pacers fan.

• [i]now why people watch football and baseball or, frankly, why those sports even exist, I will never understand.
    from a sociological standpoint sports serve a number of functions: entertainment--bread and circus--see ancient rome; 2ndly, through sports and organized competition males are allowed to displace/ express tribal aggression that some may argue is inherently within our nature----why do people get so riled up? they come to identify w a team (ie tribe)---see this team as their own, and hence are willing to defend the honor/ sanctity of said team's value/ prestige...whatever you wanna call it...most importantly though....$$$$$$$$$----money

now why people watch football and baseball or, frankly, why those sports even exist, I will never understand.

from a sociological standpoint sports serve a number of functions: entertainment--bread and circus--see ancient rome; 2ndly, through sports and organized competition males are allowed to displace/ express tribal aggression that some may argue is inherently within our nature----why do people get so riled up? they come to identify w a team (ie tribe)---see this team as their own, and hence are willing to defend the honor/ sanctity of said team's value/ prestige...whatever you wanna call it...most importantly though....$$$$$$$$$----money
    Man, sounds like some of y'all never had anyone to toss the football/play catch/rollerskate/play hoops with! I am no jock, but most important is money???? Maybe from a gambling perspective, I mean folks will always wager over competition.

I realize that sports and competition can be worthy of some heavy analysis, but aren't sports mostly popular because they are FUN?
    isn't skating FUN? Isn't soccer FUN? Isn't baseball FU....uh, wait, Baseball was never fun for me....but you know what I mean?!

• now why people watch football and baseball or, frankly, why those sports even exist, I will never understand.

Man, sounds like some of y'all never had anyone to toss the football/play catch/rollerskate/play hoops with! I am no jock, but most important is money???? Maybe from a gambling perspective, I mean folks will always wager over competition.

I realize that sports and competition can be worthy of some heavy analysis, but aren't sports mostly popular because they are FUN?
    isn't skating FUN? Isn't soccer FUN? Isn't baseball FU....uh, wait, Baseball was never fun for me....but you know what I mean?!
    i love to play sports...basketball is still one of my loves---please dont mistake my statement for some lack of appreciation for the skills/ abilities of trained athletes..i do admire those taht have attained such a fantastic degree of skill ...my statement was a sociological analysis in response to the above query: why sports even exist. but also, why some people get so involved with a team's failure/ success. go to a oakland raiders game and wear the opponents jersey and your risking your very life. its such an interesting sociological phenomenon, i cant help but to question and analyze...

now why people watch football and baseball or, frankly, why those sports even exist, I will never understand.

i love to play sports...basketball is still one of my loves---please dont mistake my statement for some lack of appreciation for the skills/ abilities of trained athletes..i do admire those taht have attained such a fantastic degree of skill ...my statement was a sociological analysis in response to the above query: why sports even exist.

The question wasn't "why do sports even exist?"--it was "why do these two particularly lame and unengaging sports even exist?" and it was obviously a question for which an answer that would satisfy me doesn't exist.

In other words, I was just hatting.

i love to play sports...basketball is still one of my loves---please dont mistake my statement for some lack of appreciation for the skills/ abilities of trained athletes..i do admire those taht have attained such a fantastic degree of skill ...my statement was a sociological analysis in response to the above query: why sports even exist.

The question wasn't "why do sports even exist?"--it was "why do these two particularly lame and unengaging sports even exist?" and it was obviously a question for which an answer that would satisfy me doesn't exist.

In other words, I was just hatting.

It's funny to me because I grew up playing everything(my ma was a gym teacher) and hating a lot of it at the time(gymnastics? anyone who has seen me would get a laugh offa that!), but as an adult I love to play sports casually/informally, even though I rarely take the time. i don't even know why I am posting in this thread!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Dude, your level of hatting is so beyond the pale, it's stunning.

Faux rillz For real though, I'm not the biggest fan of football fans. Relative to other sports, football seems to inspire some of the worse traits of obnoxiousness imaginable (well, that and Yankees fans, writ large) but in terms of the mechanics of football, I can't hate. It's definitely not as fluid as basketball, but I can appreciate the sheer level of mental/human engineering necessary to pull off a successful play. And hell, it appeals to our war voyuerism.

With baseball...I understand why people don't get the game's appeal since it's not exactly the most frenetic sport around but there's something very simple and pure about the face-off between a pitcher and batter. Not like the rest of the team isn't important, but ultimately, it comes down to a showdown on every pitch. I also think the tradition and pagaentry of baseball is wholly relevent to its continued appeal, not just in the U.S. but in other countries like Japan, Cuba, the Dominician Republic, etc. For better or for worse, it's a symbol of America and one I'd prefer over many other symbols I can think of.

Relative to other sports, football seems to inspire some of the worse traits of obnoxiousness imaginable (well, that and Yankees fans, writ large)

I think the obnoxiousness of Yankee hatters far outweigh the fans.

Not to go off course.

I grew up playing everything(my ma was a gym teacher) and hating a lot of it at the time(gymnastics? anyone who has seen me would get a laugh offa that!),

...you was a ballerina/I got the pictures, I seen ya...

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i played a lot of hockey in my childhood, right up to high school. Lots of fun to play but i never, ever understood why anyone would watch it being played. actually i find it kind of absurd. That said, I live in a city which lives and breathes HOCKEY FEVER. Its like rabies mixed with zombification. People who have never played a game of shinney in their life ask me why I am not watching the leafs on tv. I straight up don't get it.

the only sport I've ever watched played is the NCAA tournament. every kid plays like their life depends on it and every team has everything to lose. Professional sports are ridiculous to me

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I personally don't watch grown men playing with each others balls!

• When the season starts we can talk shit all day. Diehard Pacers fan.

oh no doubt!!! you gotta give Fred Jones some burn this year!!!!

• It's like music,art, science, theatre, language....it's one of the ways we express ourselves as humans that goes back to the beginning of existence.

That's like saying "Why does jazz even exist?"

Ban this terd.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

For me, watching sports is all about the drama, watching a story unfold. Proto reality TV.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i'm not saying i think its stupid or anything, i just never understood why people do.

explain.

I'm with you dude. Never been into it. Maybe if air hockey was a sport i would watch it....

I've tried, but it just bores the shit out of me. It kinda sucks because at work when folks start talking about sports, i just have no input or anything.

• it just bores the shit out of me.
    cosign on that.

It kinda sucks because at work when folks start talking about sports, i just have no input or anything.
    Thats happens to me when I play pick-up ball. I encounter a lot of people who say "sports is my life." Just bugs me out that they dedicate their lives to watching professional sports. Especially in Toronto, which happens to be a crazy hockey city. Gets on my nerves sometimes. I've never enjoyed watching sports on tv cause I feel its a waste of time. Only time I enjoy watching sports, is when I'm on the sidelines lacing up to play.

shaz

That's like saying "Why does jazz even exist?"

Ban this terd.

No, no, it's like saying "Why does CTI even exist?"

Ban this terd of a baseball/CTI apologist.

Now.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    ako, your post is a 15 word LAN party.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

explain.

Most US sports = making some rich bastards richer. The sport has nothing to do with it. They'd put monkeys out there if they could.

That being said... yeah, I don't get it either.

I hate when people ask me which team I like, or they get all upset about some trade or something. It's like... Hello... do you not read the newspaper at all? It's just a sham. It doesn't matter. Whatever way they can trick you into gluing your eyes to the TV (advertising dollars) or to pay ridiculous ticket prices (direct revenue) is what they'll do. Who or what is going on is inconsequential.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I'm starting to ask myself the same question. I'd say entertainment, although there is little enjoyment to be had watching English football these days.

how so? give me an EPL match any day..maybe you support someone from the bottom of the tables? that's no fun...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    ako, your post is a 15 word LAN party.

i thought this made sense, then after re-reading it it didnt anymore...?

either way, soulstrut itself is the biggest "LAN party" ever