Are there any Parliment/Funkadelic box sets??

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
couldn't find any, but i don't see why there wouldn't be one by now. anyone know if they exist?

Comments

• Theres a pretty good 2 disc Funkadelic set called "Music For Your Mothers".... or something like that.

I yanked a copy from a chain record store i worked at a few years ago, and have lost it since. But its pretty extensive as far as singles go...and then some.

C.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Theres a pretty good 4 disc Funkadelic set called "Music For Your Mothers".... or something like that.

I yanked a copy from a chain record store i worked at a few years ago, and have lost it since. But its pretty extensive as far as singles go...and then some.

C.

On CD it's 2CD's, on Westbound/Ace, featuring all of the single mixes and B-sides, including the 45 by U.S. on Eastbound. Some of these tracks have since made it on the recent Funkadelic remasters.

There is a Parliament/Funkadelic 4CD live box set that's okay:

As far as an in-depth George Clinton box set, featuring everything he's done for the last 50 or so years, one doesn't exist. I had brought it up with David Mills, and he agreed that at that point (early 1990's), it would be a bit difficult for someone to go through the mess Clinton had made for himself with all of the labels and publishing deals. Not impossible, but it's an ordeal no one has ever done. I am sure there are loads of Parliament and Funkadelic fans who have never heard The Parliaments, or some of the songs Clinton wrote for others, like Darrell Banks.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    If you're going for mid-to-late era Parliament on CD, this is all you'll need:

• If you're going for mid-to-late era Parliament on CD, this is all you'll need:

i'm not too big on greatest hits type things, they always leave out my jams.
    i came across a 3 disc funkadelic set that had 4 of their albums from '76-'81, but i really wish there was a definitive collection, where at least most of the funkadelic/parliment albums are compiled.

i really think something like this is LONG overdue. lately i find myself bumping a lot of their stuff on cd. those digitally remastered joints have a cool, crisp sound to them. great in the whip.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

i came across a 3 disc funkadelic set that had 4 of their albums from '76-'81, but i really wish there was a definitive collection, where at least most of the funkadelic/parliment albums are compiled.

i really think something like this is LONG overdue. lately i find myself bumping a lot of their stuff on cd. those digitally remastered joints have a cool, crisp sound to them. great in the whip.

This is not a chincy "best of" collection, I can assure you of that.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    There was a 4 CD set that came out in the early 90s that had tons of live tracks:

Click here for more info.

There was a 4 CD set that came out in the early 90s that had tons of live tracks:

Click here for more info.

As listed on that page, some of those tracks are also on the box set I listed above. Quality is great, but with P-Funk, better is expected.

a/k/a their Casablanca work, and that's the problem. Universal owns the Parliament stuff, they will forever rehash the same shit over and over. Fortunately they have remastered most of the albums, although Trombipulationb[/b] has yet to be touched.

Warner Bros. no longer owns what they released by Funkadelic, which is sad since the CD's on Priority from the early 1990's sounded like crap, and in one instance, mastered from vinyl.

They are now new remasters of the Westbound-era Funkadelic albums, with some of the songs on Music For Your Mother[/b] being used as bonus tracks. According to an interview with Armen Boladian, there are no alternate takes, no outtakes, no multi-tracks, because Westbound were on an extreme budget. If there was a false start, they would start all over again, rewind the tape, and record over the previous take. Whether or not that's true remains to be seen, yet after doing an interview with another record label CEO, I discovered that this was fairly common for many labels, especially in the late 60's/early 70's. Unlike Miles Davis, who had the luxury of having anything and everything recorded and archived, most small labels had enough for one reel, MAYBE two.

Of course, it would be funny to think that as if by magic, a multitrack popped up from Japan. I don't know if Clinton or anyone else ever took home any acetates of rough mixes or early takes, but nothing has ever popped up. The only knowledge of different takes is when you hear the album version over the take they would do for the singles.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

This is not a chincy "best of" collection, I can assure you of that.
    yeah,i agree.this is a really good overview of the parliment era,plus they throw in alot of 12-inch vers. that your not going to find on any other cd.chronicles=owns the 'best of' genre.

yeah,i agree.this is a really good overview of the parliment era,plus they throw in alot of 12-inch vers. that your not going to find on any other cd.

chronicles=owns the 'best of' genre.

Well, if you want the 12" versions you can always go for this:

This is part of PolyGram/Universal's Funk Essentials series, which of course comes from their Chronicles dept., and there are 12" comps for Kool & The Gang, Gap Band and Cameo.