Play my cd....................ok, sure.

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I swear almost every single time I dj, some "rapper" shows up and hands me his burnt cd in the midst of me mixing and asks "Can you play my cd"? I can't stand that shit. First of all, they fail to even see that I use vinyl only, then they want me to play some shitty song they did that no one has heard and it's usually at the height of the night. Now I don't knock any rappers or anyone doing music, the shit might be good! But I'm not gonna play it without hearing it first to make my own decision etc. Does this happen to any other djs out there? I had this drunk thugged out gangster rapper get really mad at me last weekend because I wouldn't play his cd. Shit was hilarious, then to top it off his girl was dissing him and trying to get at me all night - unless that was their "marketing" pay to play attempt!

Comments

• Options
    I think the here's my CD play it whenever you please approach would be much more effective. I remember this guy had a squezable bike horn that honked "No". Used to bring it to all his gigs.

K.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I remember this guy had a squezable bike horn that honked "No". Used to bring it to all his gigs.

K.

Dope. I want a bike horn that honks "No" to carry around with me all day! Whenever folls come up and ask me for money, "No!"

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Yeah I've had that happen. I also remember that someone brought up an ipod once asking if they could hook it up. I told them sure, but I might steal it.

I wasnt kidding, the look on their face was priceless.

• Options
    I remember this guy had a squezable bike horn that honked "No". Used to bring it to all his gigs.

K.

Dope. I want a bike horn that honks "No" to carry around with me all day! Whenever folls come up and ask me for money, "No!"

I just the ask them for money before they get to me - they don't know how to react to that. Samething with people handing me flyers - it's like a gunfight...they draw, I draw...they pull back, I pull back and am off.

K.

K.

I just the ask them for money before they get to me - they don't know how to react to that. Samething with people handing me flyers - it's like a gunfight...they draw, I draw...they pull back, I pull back and am off.

K.

That's great K. I should start carrying flyers in my back pocket! LOL

• Options
    All you need is one!

K.

All you need is one!

K.

Nah, I want to act a foll and give them a few flyers! LOL

• Options
    One of those big 47 DJ (2 really) I could fold this in four and sleep in it if I don't get home tonight type of flyers?

K.

One of those big 47 DJ (2 really) I could fold this in four and sleep in it if I don't get home tonight type of flyers?

K.

Perfect! LOL

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Does this happen to any other djs out there?
    almost every time i DJ. its worse when they want to actually PERFORM the song then and there.

• Yep, it's kinda irritating. Can't knock them for trying as long as they are respectful. But gettin pissed, is not gonna make me wanna play there shit. Specially when these guys come at you when it's primetime, not gonna happen.
    Also comming with vinyl, is gonna give them more credit in my book.

unless that was their "marketing" pay to play attempt!
    Comedy!!!!!!!!!! I've heard they have got seminars at the music conventions on that technique.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Yo my boys has a mthod he uses for this exact problem(only to be tried at party's not clubs).... Grab cd from dude like "yeah sure!" put on your turntable and drop the needle on it! bring fader over and watch the dance floor stop. Ultimate dick head move but it works

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Yo my boys has a mthod he uses for this exact problem(only to be tried at party's not clubs).... Grab cd from dude like "yeah sure!" put on your turntable and drop the needle on it! bring fader over and watch the dance floor stop. Ultimate dick head move but it works
    fuckin' dope!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Cosmo almost fought someone at The Rub once because of this. Dude was drunk and would not leave it alone. He ended up being bounced from the club. That shit is just the worst.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    CD's are bad, but at least you can front with the "I only got turntables" thing. we have an open mic and dudes always want to perform with their tracks and shit. just this last tuesday this group (four of them all wearing matching black t-shirts) roll in all hard and ask me what's up with performing. I didnt have time for the pain, so i referred them to the host MC, who told that that it wouldn't happen. they bounced outta there crazy quick without even checking out the vibe of the night. it was like they were going door to door asking if they could get on.

• Yeah, the only thing worse is when they want the mic. This dude came up to me at Milk once--of course, prime time--and is like, "Gimme the mic, dude. I rhyme." I told him it was gonna happen and he said, "Look, I'll give you $50 if I'm wack." I said, "Gimme the $50 now 'cause you're already being wack."

A vastly different/more successful approach: My dude Baby Jaymes came up to me and other DJs when he was on his hustle. He'd come up, introduce himself, and ask you if it was okay to give you some wax. Super polite, no ego, very respectful. Plus, who's gonna turn down promo vinyl? I ended up playing his record that night on the strength, and it was very dope. He approached everyone the same way and even made a little breakthrough to the local Clear Channel station.

• My dude Baby Jaymes came up to me and other DJs when he was on his hustle. He'd come up, introduce himself, and ask you if it was okay to give you some wax. Super polite, no ego, very respectful. Plus, who's gonna turn down promo vinyl? I ended up playing his record that night on the strength, and it was very dope. He approached everyone the same way and even made a little breakthrough to the local Clear Channel station.

So if any of you Strutters out there wanna join Baby Jaymes' banging new street team where you can be on top of all the latest Baby Jaymes news and get hot to death joints like postcards, stickers and posters of Baby Jaymes and other Clear Channel artists, just holler at me at [email]ross@clearchannel.com.[/email]

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Yeah, the only thing worse is when they want the mic. This dude came up to me at Milk once--of course, prime time--and is like, "Gimme the mic, dude. I rhyme." I told him it was gonna happen and he said, "Look, I'll give you $50 if I'm wack." I said, "Gimme the $50 now 'cause you're already being wack."

I get this shit all the time. I usually just tell 'em we don't have a mic. If they've already seen us using the mic, I tell them that it's the club's policy that only DJs and artists who have been booked for the evening are allowed to get on the mic and that the club shut down the party if we let anyone else on.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    CD's are bad, but at least you can front with the "I only got turntables" thing. we have an open mic and dudes always want to perform with their tracks and shit. just this last tuesday this group (four of them all wearing matching black t-shirts) roll in all hard and ask me what's up with performing. I didnt have time for the pain, so i referred them to the host MC, who told that that it wouldn't happen. they bounced outta there crazy quick without even checking out the vibe of the night. it was like they were going door to door asking if they could get on.

Isn't that what "open mic" means. I don't see a problem here...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Man, I hate that shit when they wanna perform! I got a technic of my own and I hand them the mic but turn it off on the mixer then all of a sudden it doesn't work for some reason I apologize and I keep playin!