RUNS HOUSE

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
anybody peep this show yet? whats the 411? peace, stein. . .

Comments

• dope reality show, i was impressed by the first two eps.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Good show. Run is MAD funny. The way he talks to his kids and his wife is LOL. He and his wife were talking about the budget for his daughter's graduation party and Run told his wife to "Keep it funky" when she was about to get into the details.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Run told his wife to "Keep it funky" when she was about to get into the details.

I'm gonna start using that.

"honey, what do we need from the store?"

"just keep it funky, baby"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Run is mad uptight too, which is occasionally hilarious...

WTF was up with that group he brought to Russell on the new one though??!? Why was he working with those bitchasses? Shit was embarassing and uncomfortable to watch...

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Shit about his daughter's bday party was hilarious. She wants Funkmaster Flex to dj and Run is like "Flex? That sounds expensive. What about one of your high school friends. And then all the people at the party will be like, 'Hey look, it's DJ High School"" Classic.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Run told his wife to "Keep it funky" when she was about to get into the details.

I'm gonna start using that.

"honey, what do we need from the store?"

"just keep it funky, baby"

married life...funky?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    this show was definitely funny and enjoyable, but a lot of the dialogue seemed scripted, especially the scenes with the daughter in her bedroom. I dunno, it just didn't have the "reality show" feel. It was weird.

• I caught an episode. It was pretty cool. I saw the party one also.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    his younger boys are hilarious.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    im surprised that run is living large the way he is...

how does he support himself like that? and how come DMC doesnt seem to be balling?

any answers appreciated.

the show is kinda funny though. that daughter is crazy for wanting some $10k fireworks display! wth.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i think run is weird. the 15 mins of the episode that i saw made me kinda uncomfortable.

• GOT MY MIND ON THE ROAD AND YO IT'S TIME TO GAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW

• im surprised that run is living large the way he is...

how does he support himself like that? and how come DMC doesnt seem to be balling?

any answers appreciated.

the show is kinda funny though. that daughter is crazy for wanting some $10k fireworks display! wth.

?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I dig the show. It fits well after Making The Band 3, which is the du jour du jour.

Russell Simmons seems to be performing for the camera too. I know he wasn't feeling those dudes that Run was trying to sign. I bet those cats never see the light of day - Union Turnpike. That sounds like a name brand that you'd find at Kohl's.

• wonkawonka 84 Posts
    Who were those cornball rappers on the last episode?

Are they the ones with that "Kick, Push" track I hear?

The best part is when Russel clowned them in that meeting...said it was a humpty dumpty rap.

But still signed them....

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

No, that's Lupe Fiasco from the Chi, also kicks a verse on Kanye's new album. Those dudes wish they could make a song like that. (You can tell I dig it... "kick, push, kick, push, kick, push, kick, push... coassssssssssst")

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

is that on the radio already in your parts?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

is that on the radio already in your parts?
    No, a homey sent me an MP3. It's the only way I would have listened to it. I haven't liked anything else by dude. Once I realized it was about SBing, I found new respect for the Chicagoan rapper.

• im surprised that run is living large the way he is...

here's obvious ways that come to mind:
    1. run dmc catalog must still sell at least 100k units a year.
    2. must make at least 250k a year publishing.
    3. i would estimate for film/tv to license a track like "you be illin" would cost at least 25k.
    4. up until the time of jays passing run dmc was still comanding 40-50k performance fees.
    my question is. .how could he not be ballin'?
    peace, stein. . .

• GOT MY MIND ON THE ROAD AND YO IT'S TIME TO GAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW

Dammit, now this song is suck in head, GET IT OUT!

• anyone seen this on the internet? i want to check it out bad but i dont have cable.

• 'Hey look, it's DJ High School""

THAT IS CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Crazy comedy.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    im surprised that run is living large the way he is...

any answers appreciated.

?

here's obvious ways that come to mind:
    1. run dmc catalog must still sell at least 100k units a year.
    2. must make at least 250k a year publishing.
    3. i would estimate for film/tv to license a track like "you be illin" would cost at least 25k.
    4. up until the time of jays passing run dmc was still comanding 40-50k performance fees.
    my question is. .how could he not be ballin'?
    peace, stein. . .

You bring up some good points Young Stein, but I have a hard time believing that Joe Simmons is living that large from RUN DMC money. Even if the RUN DMC catalog still sold 100k units a year, say RUN DMC get $1.50 a unit that's only $150,000. Split half of that with DMC and its $75,000. My wife and I make more than that a year with our wack jobs and we are NOT living large. 250K a year in publishing again cut in half is $125,000. I don't know how often their songs are still licensed for commercials, but the label and producers would see a cut of the fee as well. There are sadly no more RUN DMC live shows. So Run maybe makes $200,000 a year plus a little more from commercials using old RUN DMC songs. After taxes dude would be seeing less than $200,000 a year.
    He has FIVE kids and is living lavishly in a $5.5 million dollar house. Five kids living at home would keep almost anyone broke! Drives a new Rolls Royce and other luxury cars. He just put the house featured in the show up for sale to buy a bigger mansion. I don't know how much MTV is paying him, but I don't think it is SERIOUS money. Either RUN was VERY smart about saving most of his money and investing it well when RUN DMC were large or Russell Simmons is taking very good care of his brother. I remember a while back Russell made RUN head of shoe sales for Phat Farm. Why are Russell and Run not doing the same type of thing for DMC? Russell has more than enough loot to take good care of Joe Simmons and his family. I bet DMC lives in a two bedroom condo in Queens

• 'Hey look, it's DJ High School""

"...... my man from the lunchroom". hilarious.

and its very believable that run is paid. as stein stated he's gotta be raking in tons of publishing loot. not to mention he heads phat farm footwear, etc etc etc. it would be a surprise if he wasn't paid at this point in life after all he's done.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I bet DMC lives in a two bedroom condo in Queens

i think DMC is doin all right.he's getting publishing on those songs too.plus,waht about the beastie boys songs they wrote + produced?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yo the show is pretty dope. i think russel clowned them dudes. russel is taking good care of his brother. no doubt about it.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    anyone seen this on the internet? i want to check it out bad but i dont have cable.

it's out there, check the bittorrent sites

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I dig the show. It fits well after Making The Band 3, which is the du jour du jour.

Russell Simmons seems to be performing for the camera too. I know he wasn't feeling those dudes that Run was trying to sign. I bet those cats never see the light of day - Union Turnpike. That sounds like a name brand that you'd find at Kohl's.

Naw, from what I hear from my industry peoples that is EXACTLY how Rush is in real life. My man works as an assistant manager for a few different producers and groups and he was tellin' me how he had a meeting with Russell to play some beats for this WACK group that Russell was working with... these dudes were rappin' some straight garbage and Russell was losin' his mind talkin' about how hot they were and how many records they were gonna sell. My man said he felt like throwing up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Naw, from what I hear from my industry peoples that is EXACTLY how Rush is in real life. My man works as an assistant manager for a few different producers and groups and he was tellin' me how he had a meeting with Russell to play some beats for this WACK group that Russell was working with... these dudes were rappin' some straight garbage and Russell was losin' his mind talkin' about how hot they were and how many records they were gonna sell. My man said he felt like throwing up.

Does he even have a label to sign kids to? Who on DEFJAM right now was recommended by Russell Simmons? Besides LL. To think he could break a new artist iz st8 fantasy.