Final Scratch vs. Serato Scratch

bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
i know there was a post about this a couple months back, but i dont remeber the verdict (and cant seem to find the post!)any thoughts?should i

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dildo

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    word to

dildo

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Serato. Almost everyone I know prefers it to Final Scratch. It's just a more consistent, stable system.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I choose FS2. Firewire.

- spidey

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i like serato. Its easy to use and it works real well. Only played with FS a few times but i decided on serato casue It just felt better and the user interface is cool.

• Serato. Almost everyone I know prefers it to Final Scratch. It's just a more consistent, stable system.

This was definitely true with Final Scratch 1.5, but now FS2.0 has firewire, a much more stable system, and a lot more features than Serato: using the Traktor DJ studio software, built-in time stretching, firwire with an extra port so you can hook up your ipod or other harddrive, set recording, online streaming, and extra auxillary outputs on the box. Folks I've talked to in the shop have said that FS2.0 is waaaaay better than the older versions and that alot of the bugs have been fixed with the upgrades. I think you'll be fine with either system at this point, it just comes down to what bells and whistles you want.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i give it 2 years, tops, before most mixers have a serato compatible box built in. better or not, it will be the industry standard.

• i give it 2 years, tops, before most mixers have a serato compatible box built in. better or not, it will be the industry standard.

it's already begun:

allen & heath xone 92

ecler nuo 4

these two guys have MIDI capability, and the manufacturers have setups showing them controlling Live, Traktor and Kaoss Pads

numark dxm01 usb

and numark now has a few mixers on the market with USB ins and outs to record directly into your computer or playback audio files

I've also heard rumors that Serato is working on a mixer that will have the SL box built in. But that's just hearsay at this point...

• Speaking of which, my DILDO doesn't display the rotating record graphic with the track timing and rotation and all that.

Lil help over here?

Beuller?

• Speaking of which, my DILDO doesn't display the rotating record graphic with the track timing and rotation and all that.

Lil help over here?

Beuller?

Take that schitt to the-br...wait, take it here, instead:
    http://scratchlive.net/forum/

Lil help over here?

Beuller?

Take that schitt to the-br...wait, take it here, instead:
    http://scratchlive.net/forum/

I have perused that board... scary stuff!

Makes these lil dudes round here look normal.

• HewHew 17 Posts

I've also heard rumors that Serato is working on a mixer that will have the SL box built in. But that's just hearsay at this point...

maybe old but this is pic of Akiem's set up with serato and ttm56..so nice

http://www.skratchworx.com/news/comments.php4?id=327

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Speaking of which, my DILDO doesn't display the rotating record graphic with the track timing and rotation and all that.

Lil help over here?

Beuller?

Ahhh Check money,are you getting sound out of that table? I had a similar problem the other night. It might be a short in a connection somewhere. I couldn't figure out what was causing the problem and it never happened at the house, only at the gig (using my tables too). I even tried using different control vinyl, cleaned the needle etc.

What I ended up doing was, I put a regular record on, closed and reopened Serato and it came up fine. I really don't have a clue why it did that though.

It even happened later in the night after someone did a set with regular records and I went to get back on. Same table too.

So basically, restart Serato and you should be good to go.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

hells yeah!!! that's that double headed dildo shit, knawmean?

...but I'll wait till rane does it legitimately, before i start cutting up my $700 mixer.

• any thoughts?

think twice before you invest the money.

it??s not bad to make a mixtape or some scratches here n there.

but if you jugglin a lot, the latency inducing headaches.

so it??s up to you,...the best will be you search a shop in your area and try before buy. i don??t like it

but there??s also a much cheaper alternative available for 199$. "MIXVIBES DVS"

• I've also heard rumors that Serato is working on a mixer that will have the SL box built in. But that's just hearsay at this point...

hells yeah!!! that's that double headed dildo shit, knawmean?

...but I'll wait till rane does it legitimately, before i start cutting up my $700 mixer.

That is very dope! You should also check out my man flesh o.n.e.'s insane invention:

http://www.audio8.com/releases/A8MIDIV1.html

Dude can mod almost any mixer to have a midi out, then he adds a knob with 12 positions so you can just flip the fader halfway over (while you're cutting, for example) and trigger up to 12 different things to happen, depending on how you have them set. It's nuts.

Edited 'cause I just saw my homie's name on that skratchworx page:

"Now we should get Akiem and flesh o.n.e. together and graft a midi controller in there as well."

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Serato. Almost everyone I know prefers it to Final Scratch. It's just a more consistent, stable system.

This was definitely true with Final Scratch 1.5, but now FS2.0 has firewire, a much more stable system, and a lot more features than Serato: using the Traktor DJ studio software, built-in time stretching, firwire with an extra port so you can hook up your ipod or other harddrive, set recording, online streaming, and extra auxillary outputs on the box. Folks I've talked to in the shop have said that FS2.0 is waaaaay better than the older versions and that alot of the bugs have been fixed with the upgrades. I think you'll be fine with either system at this point, it just comes down to what bells and whistles you want.
    The support for Final Scratch is atrocious and those motherfuckers charge for software updates that fix functionality. Fuck them.