Powerball fever!

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Y'all got your tickets yet? You can buy alot of records with $340 million (probably only $100 million after taxes)!Powerball Lottery Jackpot Hits High, $340MBy DAVID PITTThe Associated PressWednesday, October 19, 2005; 5:12 PMDES MOINES, Iowa -- Ticket buyers played their kids' birthdays, their wedding anniversaries, even a set of numbers taken straight from the TV show "Lost," in hopes of winning $340 million Wednesday in the second-biggest lottery jackpot in U.S. history.The Powerball jackpot has been snowballing since mid-August, with 20 straight drawings in which no one won the grand prize. Stores reported heavy sales in all 27 states selling Powerball tickets.Mary Neubauer, spokeswoman for the Iowa Lottery, said hundreds of ticket buyers were playing a set of numbers from the ABC drama "Lost," which featured a character who won $156 million by playing a string of digits obtained from a patient in a mental institution: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42."I just think it speaks to people's fascination with numbers and the what-if factor," Neubauer said.The odds of hitting all six numbers were 1 in 146 million.Susie Siebke crossed the Mississippi River from Illinois to buy 25 Powerball tickets for herself and five co-workers. "We only buy just whenever it gets this high," Siebke, 30, said as she stood in line at a convenience store in Bettendorf.The biggest lottery jackpot in U.S. history was $363 million, won by two ticket holders in Illinois and Michigan in 2000.___On the Net:Powerball: http://www.powerball.com

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I went to Oregon last weekend when it was $300M. Gas is low today so I'm not getting it. But if no one wins tonight, I'll go down to Oregon again.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    You know I threw my $5 in the toilet. I got a good feeling about this.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    What do you actually take home after taxes with the lump sum or the annuity?

What do you actually take home after taxes with the lump sum or the annuity?

Website says $164.4M cash value.

• "the lottery" is a nice way of saying idiot tax. yeah eventually somebody will win. but put it this way:

if you put every single canadians name into a hat you would have a 2.5x better chance of pulling soufriere1's name out of that hat than you would winning the lottery.

if you bought 50 tickets every week your would win the jackpot about once every 30,000 years.

you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than you do winning the lottery.

good luck!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I was wondering... wouldn't you have a better chance at winning a larger amount but playing when less people are playing (and the jackpot is lower).

Generally pots are split when more than one person hits the numbers. So with a record jackpot and a huge increase in the number of people playing, it would be more likely to have to split it should you win.

BTW, has anyone figured out what the interest rate is equivalent to when taking the gradual payout versus the lump sum? I really hate doing those future value calculations.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    BTW, has anyone figured out what the interest rate is equivalent to when taking the gradual payout versus the lump sum? I really hate doing those future value calculations.
    your ass gets assassinated after that shit anyway so you might as well take the lump sum

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    your ass gets assassinated after that shit anyway so you might as well take the lump sum

No person with any sense claims lottery winnings of that magnitude in their own name.

• BTW, has anyone figured out what the interest rate is equivalent to when taking the gradual payout versus the lump sum? I really hate doing those future value calculations.

No person with any sense claims lottery winnings of that magnitude in their own name.
    TRUST
    TRUST
    TRUST
    TRUST

"the lottery" is a nice way of saying idiot tax. yeah eventually somebody will win. but put it this way:

if you put every single canadians name into a hat you would have a 2.5x better chance of pulling soufriere1's name out of that hat than you would winning the lottery.

if you bought 50 tickets every week your would win the jackpot about once every 30,000 years.

you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than you do winning the lottery.

good luck!

Give a broke ass man some hope, will ya?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Y'all got your tickets yet? You can buy alot of records with $340 million (probably only $100 million after taxes)!

what i was doing before i walked in to crooked beat !

no lines for tickets in adams morgan

i'm shooting for a 5 # match
    quarter million would do me fine
    which baller in oregon hit all 6 ??

• I dropped $5 on the Powerball, knowing full well I was just pissing the money away, but hey... Anytime the Powerball goes above $200 million I figure it's worth at least taking a stab at it. I mean, I piss away my money on other frivolous things, why not one that might pay me a lot of money?

Anyhow, I matched one freakin' number across all 5 of my entries. Yay! Just think, with that $5 I wasted I could've bought 1/10 of a raer!

i'm shooting for a 5 # match
    quarter million would do me fine
    which baller in oregon hit all 6 ??

If the winning ticket came from Umatilla, Oregon, I'm going to be angry.