Roll Call for the Good Ones (Heatrock related)

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Reading the TheMack thread was a little depressing. But really, out of alllllll the records that were donated and all the money raised, only a handful turned out to be deadbeat. That's a good percentage, really... no matter what it is.But anyway, a lot of people put up a lot of good shit and a lot of people donated big money so I think it would be nice to give some appreciation to the 99% of folks who came out for a good cause.I put up a record and I'm not going to big up myself, but I would like to thank edub[/b] for his generous bid and his patience through the PayPal ordeal, as well as my less than prompt shipping time.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Yeah. I want to see a "Top 10 Spenders" list.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    But anyway, a lot of people put up a lot of good shit and a lot of people donated big money so I think it would be nice to give some appreciation to the 99% of folks who came out for a good cause.

Abso-freaking-lutely. Everybody who dug deep into their pockets and their crates get mad appreciation. Also, can we get a round of applause for Bambouche and Aspirin for handling the logistical side of all this? And one for Deepstank for hooking up the dollar matching?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Also, can we get a round of applause for Bambouche and Aspirin for handling the logistical side of all this? And one for Deepstank for hooking up the dollar matching?

Definitely, they get the biggest hand by far.

• Yeah. I want to see a "Top 10 Spenders" list.
    scoping out the competition?

Yeah. I want to see a "Top 10 Spenders" list.
    scoping out the competition?

Reynaldo anxiously checks his portfolio

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    EAST. OF. UNDERGROUND.

Andr*w rulz.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Also, can we get a round of applause for Bambouche and Aspirin for handling the logistical side of all this? And one for Deepstank for hooking up the dollar matching?

Not to mention their generous spending.

Big thanks to Asprin for shelling out two bills for my Heat Rock. (No ayo, jerks! )

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was thinking of posting up the same thing, that 5 non-payments out of over a hundred "honor system" transactions is pretty on point. Throw in the value of the rocks being dropped, and the money heads were throwing down, and it's almost unbelieveable. Good looks all around, and equally impressive that it only took a few hours to have people cover the outstanding balances plus more.
    I kinda hope the Mack hasn't been out of existence. Dude needs to man up and definitely deserved at least a thread's worth of abuse, but he is 18.
    Y'all fools can't tell me you were always shooting straight at eighteen,

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Heatrocks was one of the best things of my life.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    The financial contributions from the following people deserve thanks:[/b]

33Third, 99Problems, aegis, Agent45, Alejandro, AlienIVERSON, aschrock, aser, asprin, asstro, Bambouche, Bapt, BeardedD, Beats29, beaver, BELIEVE, Big Spliff, billbradley, bluesnag, bobbydee, CaptWrong, cas/djanna, Casi, catchdubs, colm, culobiggs, dainjah, Darrell, davesrecords, day, dCastillo, debar, deepstank, Dig Dug, Digdug, distill808, Dizzy Bull, dj daze, DJ Enki, DJ Ferrari, dj_day, DJ_NevilleC, DJCire, djenki, djferrari, DocBreezy, dollarbin, Dom, DOR, Dreas_Heardrums, Drewn, edub, el_sparko, empanadamn, Ezekial, facemoney, faux_rills, flatblackplastic, francis, Funky_McVay, funky16corners, gamble, Garcia_Vega, Germane O Neal, gibla, Ginsburger, gir, guzzo, HankScorpio, HAZ, hCrink, HogginTheFogg, holiday, Hotsauce84, hsulu_nation, Indiana45s, iramaan, Jake One, JazzSucka, jgiss, jinx74, jlee, JoMojo, Jonny Paycheck, Jroot, Kelli, kenny, Kidgusto, Knewjak, kojack, konduit, lady Bravada, lambert, LaserWolf, Leftfield, lefunkmob, leisurebandit, lepoohpooh, lucero, M.Smear, magic_jackson, mandrew, maocontent, maru, meatyogre, mesh, michelle, Mike2600, misterec, Mongo_Slade, MorseCode, moss/face, MrJeigh, NeverEnoughMoney, Nitekrawler45, noixe, noz, Nuggs, Odub, okadots, On_the_red_clay, OneSoul, Otis Funkmeyer, pacman, peacefulrotation, PEK, pena, Phill_Most, phono13, pkny, pmc220, Raj, rap79, Raystar, rcbreaks, residentgiant, Reynaldo, Richard W., Rishan, rkwpark, Ruff Rob, ryan, RYPY, schnipper, Scott, sir_ill, SirT7, Slavin, slush, Socrates, sooks, SoulonIce, speshboogie, Stephen B, sweendog, Tallbobsmoke, the_average_man, ThesOne, threepointplay, tripledouble, UMAD, Undreal, urrrs, Vincent W., Volumen, yoigotbeats, Zeus, zizag

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    I'd like to let everyone know that I won a record from SoulOnIce that the United States Post Office lost and when we figured that out, he sent me another copy (along w/ extras). He refused payment a second time and was out two heatrocks for the price of one.

Upstanding gentleman.

Thanks for posting.

Let's see if this thread can get at least half the attention the deadbeat thread(s) got.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

33Third, 99Problems, aegis, Agent45, Alejandro, AlienIVERSON, aschrock, aser, asprin, asstro, Bambouche, Bapt, BeardedD, Beats29, beaver, BELIEVE, Big Spliff, billbradley, bluesnag, bobbydee, CaptWrong, cas/djanna, Casi, catchdubs, colm, culobiggs, dainjah, Darrell, davesrecords, day, dCastillo, debar, deepstank, Dig Dug, Digdug, distill808, Dizzy Bull, dj daze, DJ Enki, DJ Ferrari, dj_day, DJ_NevilleC, DJCire, djenki, djferrari, DocBreezy, dollarbin, Dom, DOR, Dreas_Heardrums, Drewn, edub, el_sparko, empanadamn, Ezekial, facemoney, faux_rills, flatblackplastic, francis, Funky_McVay, funky16corners, gamble, Garcia_Vega, Germane O Neal, gibla, Ginsburger, gir, guzzo, HankScorpio, HAZ, hCrink, HogginTheFogg, holiday, Hotsauce84, hsulu_nation, Indiana45s, iramaan, Jake One, JazzSucka, jgiss, jinx74, jlee, JoMojo, Jonny Paycheck, Jroot, Kelli, kenny, Kidgusto, Knewjak, kojack, konduit, lady Bravada, lambert, LaserWolf, Leftfield, lefunkmob, leisurebandit, lepoohpooh, lucero, M.Smear, magic_jackson, mandrew, maocontent, maru, meatyogre, mesh, michelle, Mike2600, misterec, Mongo_Slade, MorseCode, moss/face, MrJeigh, NeverEnoughMoney, Nitekrawler45, noixe, noz, Nuggs, Odub, okadots, On_the_red_clay, OneSoul, Otis Funkmeyer, pacman, peacefulrotation, PEK, pena, Phill_Most, phono13, pkny, pmc220, Raj, rap79, Raystar, rcbreaks, residentgiant, Reynaldo, Richard W., Rishan, rkwpark, Ruff Rob, ryan, RYPY, schnipper, Scott, sir_ill, SirT7, Slavin, slush, Socrates, sooks, SoulonIce, speshboogie, Stephen B, sweendog, Tallbobsmoke, the_average_man, ThesOne, threepointplay, tripledouble, UMAD, Undreal, urrrs, Vincent W., Volumen, yoigotbeats, Zeus, zizag

Is this for people who only bought stuff or contribtued too, cuz, I didn't buy, but I did donate.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Is this for people who only bought stuff or contribtued too, cuz, I didn't buy, but I did donate.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    this is what bugs me about charity, the patting each other on the back... sorry just my opinion which I'll probably get reamed over...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    this is what bugs me about charity, the patting each other on the back... sorry just my opinion which I'll probably get reamed over...

I'm just saying this, because each transaction required generosity from two people. Not just the purchaser, but also the purchasee.

I could care less really, but the list of back patting should be a bit bigger no?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I'm just saying this, because each transaction required generosity from two people.
    i agree
    but the list of back patting should be a bit bigger no?
    if we have to have one, yes

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah, i kind of agree with you. you shouldn't really show who contributed or not. i'm sure there are people here that had no option, but to NOT donate... this prolly just makes them feel worse. it's like helping someone, then telling everyone about it... makes one wonder where their heart was to begin with. that "10 highest contributors" idea made me feel embarrassed. that's worse than yesterday's fiasco.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Reading the TheMack thread was a little depressing. But really, out of alllllll the records that were donated and all the money raised, only a handful turned out to be deadbeat. That's a good percentage, really... no matter what it is.

But anyway, a lot of people put up a lot of good shit and a lot of people donated big money so I think it would be nice to give some appreciation to the 99% of folks who came out for a good cause.

I put up a record and I'm not going to big up myself, but I would like to thank edub[/b] for his generous bid and his patience through the PayPal ordeal, as well as my less than prompt shipping time.

I'll big-up you then... may you gets mucho butt, dawg

I'm still feeling the squeeze on my credit balance for the Heatrock auctions, but that's what it's all about.

-e

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    that "10 highest contributors" idea made me feel disgusted. that's worse than yesterday's fiasco.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Bambouche, yours goes out this weekend son, with some extras.

• The list does probably does serve a secondary purpose as a list of real people on soulstrut -- I don't think too many aliases participated in the heatrocks.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I'm just saying this, because each transaction required generosity from two people. Not just the purchaser, but also the purchasee.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

where's that battle rap?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

if you wanted to take it one step further, really anyone who bid on anything at all contributed, whether they won or not, as it upped the price of that item.

but really, judging from the strength of wilma, we should really be concentrating on preparing for heatrock part two.

"The financial contributions" means just the folks who sent money or paid for auctions. I only had an old spreadhseet of payees in front of me at work, your name wasn't on it. Did you pay by money order?

And I forgot DJ Shadow, his name should have been included. I got his check in the mail last week.

yeah, i kind of agree with you. you shouldn't really show who contributed or not. i'm sure there are people here that had no option, but to NOT donate... this prolly just makes them feel worse. it's like helping someone, then telling everyone about it... makes one wonder where their heart was to begin with. that "10 highest contributors" idea made me feel embarrassed. that's worse than yesterday's fiasco.

Tsk tsk. Just because I'm not in the Olympics doesn't mean I feel bad whenever I hear who got the gold.

10 highest contributors isn't really necessary, but it's nice to see who helped out. People didn't think twice about congratulating Bam and asprin (as they well deserved it), what's wrong with honoring those who donated/bid - many times abvoe the value of the items?

And honoring those who donated items is fine as well.

Sometimes being appreciated (without gratuitously sucking on people's ballsacks) is nice too. What's wrong with feeling good about doing good?

People didn't think twice about congratulating Bam and asprin (as they well deserved it)

There was some discussion about this in my appreciation/title post. While it's nice to hear good things about yourself, I think any sane person who saw what was happening in the gulf would feel compelled to help. This is a natural instinct. To extend your hand to someone who is struggling. My reason for helping has nothing to do with congratulations.

File under: Godwin's Law. It seems the self-congratulatory, self-referential ideal is pretty thick on this site, and it's nothing I really want to be a part of, which I was trying to say in that other thread. It's good to help people. Fuck, it's natural. It baffles me that we could spend more time talking about us instead of ways to learn from this.

I'm reminded of a friend I had when I was 17. After some rough times, and being locked up, I was court-appointed a "mentor" whose name was Ed. Ed was in his '60s, a reformed hobo (as in riding trains). Ed enjoyed pie, so we'd often sit at diners, eat pie, and talk about change. I was volunteering with a program that reached out to troubled teens. Basically, giving back. I had spent an entire day with this fellow who was a closet homosexual, being beaten by his father, and suicidal. While I doubt I provided much help to the kid, it sure made me feel useful to try. I told Ed all about it, as I had told several other people. Ed's advice was quite simple. He said, "Next time you help someone, don't tell anyone, then see how it feels."

That turned out to be a notion I return to often in life. It's the best way to learn humility. Separating oneself from the equation gives a better perspective. There is little use in talking about what I did for hurricane victims. After all, this hurricane wasn't about me. It would make more sense to listen to people like aleit, and see what I can learn from him to better coordinate efforts.

Coincidentally, I was going through some archives today and found several photographs of hurricane victims in Galveston, Texas c.1900. Here's three, where bodies were discovered, unconvered, and burned.

There was some discussion about this in my appreciation/title post. While it's nice to hear good things about yourself, I think any sane person who saw what was happening in the gulf would feel compelled to help. This is a natural instinct. To extend your hand to someone who is struggling. My reason for helping has nothing to do with congratulations.

File under: Godwin's Law. It seems the self-congratulatory, self-referential ideal is pretty thick on this site, and it's nothing I really want to be a part of, which I was trying to say in that other thread. It's good to help people. Fuck, it's natural. It baffles me that we could spend more time talking about us instead of ways to learn from this.

I don't think anybody did it to expect congratulations. I mean, that's just weird.

I actually wouldn't have mentioned it had it been for the very active posting going on the the deadbeat/TheMack threads.

I still don't see anything wrong with saying "good job". People do it all the time. It's human nature. "Top 10s" and stuff, that's different.