Cleaning solution

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I know this has been asked/said before. But I tried to look it up and couldn't find anything.What's a good homemade record cleaning solution recipie. I've got denatured alcohol. What else do I need?Recipies pleaseThat is allThank you

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I've heard from numerous places not to use alochol. It dries out the vinyl. I believe regular liquid dish soap works well.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    no alcohol on RARES!

mild dishwashing soap only diluted in water.

Every older record collector/seller says the same thing - No Alcohol solutions unless you are trying to get something like paint splatters off.

• i've used alcohol, 99% pure mind you, for years with NO ill effects. it dries super fast with no residue.
    vinyl getting dried out??? sounds crazy to me.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Thanks. Now I have a giant thing of denatured alocohol. I guess the bongs can get super clean now.

It may be the fact that alcohol takes years to wear it down, but it has to do with older records being oil based vinyl vs. newer records being a synthetic. I have friends that use alcohol as well, but any collector that has been doing it for years (talking 30-50 years of collecting) only use alcohol minimally and say the same thing every time I ask about it - soap and water.

the one guy I talked to said he knew people that would use gasoline to clean his records because he liked the shine it gave them. however he didn't realize the corrosive nature of gas and killt his vinyl in the long run.

• It may be the fact that alcohol takes years to wear it down, but it has to do with older records being oil based vinyl vs. newer records being a synthetic. I have friends that use alcohol as well, but any collector that has been doing it for years (talking 30-50 years of collecting) only use alcohol minimally and say the same thing every time I ask about it - soap and water.

the one guy I talked to said he knew people that would use gasoline to clean his records because he liked the shine it gave them. however he didn't realize the corrosive nature of gas and killt his vinyl in the long run.

sorry but im gonna have to chalk that up as ol crusty dude talk, like i said before i've been using the shit for years,12 if you wanna be exact, with no ill effects. if nothing has happened in that time period i think its safe to say my vinyl is safe using this method.

i think putting soap on records is a bad idea personally, theres always gonna be some kind of residue left on the record.

• and what kind of soap are we talkin about, dish soap? hand soap? douche?

• and what kind of soap are we talkin about, dish soap? hand soap? douche?

any soap, the only way i would use soap is if the record was so dirty there was no other choice. and even then i would follow it up with some alcohol to get whatever residue off that the soap left.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Do y'all remember this thread? It has interesting tips for making cleaning solution.
    http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=436927&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

• I use:

3 parts distilled water
    1 part 90% alcohol
    a drop of dish soap

Never had any problems.

It may be the fact that alcohol takes years to wear it down, but it has to do with older records being oil based vinyl vs. newer records being a synthetic. I have friends that use alcohol as well, but any collector that has been doing it for years (talking 30-50 years of collecting) only use alcohol minimally and say the same thing every time I ask about it - soap and water.

sorry but im gonna have to chalk that up as ol crusty dude talk, like i said before i've been using the shit for years,12 if you wanna be exact, with no ill effects. if nothing has happened in that time period i think its safe to say my vinyl is safe using this method.

i think putting soap on records is a bad idea personally, theres always gonna be some kind of residue left on the record.

The one collector, is crusty old dude, but when i heear it from another cat that pretty much has alot of the record scene in LA (over 11 million records alone) and he is saying the same thing, I think its a bit more than coincidence. 12 years speaks alot but at the same time these guys have had records in mint condition that they bought new and play ust as nice as when they bought em in 1960.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

The one collector, is crusty old dude, but when i heear it from another cat that pretty much has alot of the record scene in LA (over 11 million records alone) and he is saying the same thing,

11 million? Dude can't be a collector. Is he a distributor?

collector a bit of a distributor... he is the mufuggin man here though. Anything you are looking for, he can probably find. Has a network throughout the US and used to sell to most of the distributors you know.

• Really in all honesty saliva works really well. Just apply it with tongue. Doesn't have to be yours, can always have some fine groupie do it for you(you know she doesn't even have to be fine, you can always make due with what you find lyin around). Plus if you still hell bent on using alcohol just have her drink a fifth of sumthin before she starts. Just remember the more liquor the more wax and waxin you'll get done.

This solution is great for Hip-hop records
    Have fun cleaning!!!!!!!!