signs the Knicks are moving in the right direction

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Charles Dolan goes for heart surgery (maybe they'll put one in???)Allan Houston has hung up his kicks!!!! Hooorraaayyyyy beer!!!!!We're going for Ratliff!!!!any of you NY strutters need tickets to games this year??? If so, I can send you a list of games available. Half the season is sold, but there still about 10-15 games I won't be able to make.PM!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Their average age is under 38?

K.

• We're going to see Ratt!!!!

damn, you really do like "butt-rock".

• Allan Houston has hung up his kicks!!!! Hooorraaayyyyy beer!!!!!

There was an all-caps text message exchange between me and the boy UMAD when the news broke. NYers have never been happier.

• JP - you really need to floss at some games!!!!! can we do a trade tix for records????

YP - their private press EP is mad

K - 37 years, 10 months and 169 days....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The last remaining Ewing-era player is gone.

Now get rid of J.Crawford. Definitely not a Larry Brown type of player.

Defense/Shot selection

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Now get rid of J.Crawford. Stephon Marbury. Definitely not a Larry Brown type of player.

Defense/Shot selection

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Now get rid of J.Crawford. Stephon Marbury. Definitely not a Larry Brown type of player.

Defense/Shot selection

Larry and Marbury will get along just fine. Larry likes to have hard-headed players on his team anyway, so this will be a perfect fit. Plus, Stephon is tight with Zeke, and will do anything either of them say to have a winning team.

Defense/Shot selection

Larry Brown historically has shown patience w/ Above average point guards.
    He'll move Marbury to tha 2, like he did w/ Iverson during the Philly run.
    You just need an adequate ball handler at the 1 for this to work. Eric snow fulfilled this job back then.
    The new kid Nate wont be ready until mid season if he gets some light.

Defense/Shot selection

Larry and Marbury will get along just fine. Larry likes to have hard-headed players on his team anyway, so this will be a perfect fit. Plus, Stephon is tight with Zeke, and will do anything either of them say to have a winning team.

i just don't see that. Marbury is the exact opposite of what Larry Brown wants in a G and they didn't get along at all on the olympic team...

• i just don't see that. Marbury is the exact opposite of what Larry Brown wants in a G and they didn't get along at all on the olympic team...

I'm pretty sure Brown & Starbury got along on the O.T.

Defense/Shot selection

i just don't see that. Marbury is the exact opposite of what Larry Brown wants in a G and they didn't get along at all on the olympic team...

Don't see it? The Knicks are desperate for a winning season! I'm pretty sure that Marbury cleared the air about the Olympic stuff in the process of Brown's hiring, anyway. And if he and the rest of the team knows what's good for them, they'll shut up and do whatever L.B. tells them to.

the number one google return for "stephon marbury" and "larry brown"... ain't saying that means anything, but i've heard it from a lot of other places as well...

Larry's breaking point

Wanted Steph out of Athens

BY FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Larry Brown tries to get point across to Stephon Marbury at Athens Olympics.
    Stephon Marbury has a history with Larry Brown, one that is neither peaceful nor successful.

Less than one week before the Olympics began last August in Athens, Larry Brown met with officials from USA Basketball and lobbied to have Marbury cut and sent home, along with another unidentified player, prior to the Opening Ceremonies.

Several sources with knowledge of the meeting confirmed the account, which ended, of course, with Marbury remaining on the team as its only true point guard and the U.S. finishing a disappointing third in the basketball tournament.

The Olympic experience was a regrettable one for Brown and Marbury but it is also one that is worth keeping in mind if Brown decides to become Marbury's 11th NBA coach in 10 seasons and his fourth with the Knicks in 19 months.

Does their six-week test run last summer suggest that Brown and Marbury cannot peacefully coexist and even thrive together? No. But based solely on the recent history between the demanding coach and the headstrong point guard, the possibility of a rocky relationship exists.

Brown wants to do things, as he often says, "the right way." And Marbury does things his way.

"It can work," says former Knick Mark Jackson. "If everyone is all about winning it will work. With Larry Brown, you will find out a lot about players pretty quickly. Either you want to work with him and get better or you don't."

Jackson played under Brown with the Clippers and Pacers and knows firsthand how difficult it can be as the point guard in Brown's system.

"You've got to be willing to learn and you've got to be willing to listen," Jackson said yesterday. "You have to take some of the things he says and use them to make yourself better. And you have to take some of the things he says and let it go in one ear and out the other.

"Look at what happened with Chauncey Billups in Detroit. He was a guy who struggled at first. He and Larry didn't always see eye-to-eye. But then he was the MVP of the Finals and had another great year. Coach Brown helped him become a better player. He can do the same with Steph."

In fairness, Brown coached Marbury for less than two months last summer. And even Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, who was Brown's Olympic assistant, acknowledged that Marbury had the toughest assignment because he had to learn Brown's system on the fly.

In five opening-round games, Marbury made just six of 30 shots from the floor but did have 17 assists and only three turnovers. In a quarterfinal victory over Spain, Marbury broke the single-game scoring record for the United States with 31 points. The day before the breakout performance, Marbury had expressed frustration about playing in Brown's system.

"If I was on a different team I would play totally different," Marbury said. "If I was on Puerto Rico I would be totally different from how I play on this team. We have so many guys on this team who are talented, you pretty much aren't looking to score."

Marbury is a scoring point guard who has a tendency to dominate the ball. Brown wants his point guards to keep the ball moving. Because Brown had so much success switching Allen Iverson to shooting guard, there is a possibility that he would try the same experiment with Marbury.

Knicks president Isiah Thomas has vehemently denied that he would trade Marbury. Of course, Thomas may have to revise those feelings if Brown feels he cannot get through to Marbury.

"There's got to be a give and take," Jackson added. "They are going to butt heads because when you are the point guard with Larry Brown that happens. But I think Steph should also realize the type of impact coach Brown can have.

"The Knicks will be getting a coach who is a great teacher. He's very demanding and he's never satisfied, especially with his point guard. But he's also a winner and what I like about him is that he can walk into a situation where he clearly doesn't have the best team and get the most out of everybody. Nobody can do that any better than coach Brown."

Originally published on July 21, 2005

At this point in time the Olympics drama is past history. Shit is old.

If they start winning games in the first half of the season, cats will not complain.Just expect growing pains.

OK, and what? That article was written months ago. It's no secret that Stephon and L.B. have gone at it in the past. We're talking about what about to happen. What I'm sayin' is that there will be little to no head-butting in NY this season. That shit will not be tolerated.

But they wont be fuckin' w/ my............

If they start winning games in the first half of the season, cats will not complain.Just expect growing pains.

why are you guys giving Marbury so much credit? am i the only one who notices a pattern? Nets get rid of him, Nets make the finals. Phoenix gets rid of him, Phoennix makes the conference finals... dude is not much of a team player and i think larry brown is not gonna stand for him. as for the article being old, like i said, i keeep reading and hearing the same thing...

• why are you guys giving Marbury so much credit? am i the only one who notices a pattern? Nets get rid of him, Nets make the finals. Phoenix gets rid of him, Phoennix makes the conference finals... dude is not much of a team player and i think larry brown is not gonna stand for him. as for the article being old, like i said, i keeep reading and hearing the same thing...

I feel you, but it's something about his reaction to the Hurricane stuff changed my opinon of him. I think he's gonna ball outta control for LB & Zeke this year.

why are you guys giving Marbury so much credit? am i the only one who notices a pattern? Nets get rid of him, Nets make the finals. Phoenix gets rid of him, Phoennix makes the conference finals... dude is not much of a team player and i think larry brown is not gonna stand for him. as for the article being old, like i said, i keeep reading and hearing the same thing...

Winning changes everything.
    Marbury will not have the savior role as in the past.
    He doesnt make players better, but that's where Brown could assist.
    Brown will work serious magic if Marbury lets him. He's mature enuff now to listen to Zeke and Brown. This is his last chance to show his "potential".

• i just don't see that. Marbury is the exact opposite of what Larry Brown wants in a G

i know people outside the nyc area don't really get to see the knicks play much, but that "shoot first" characterization of steph really couldn't be further from the truth. anyone who watches him every game knows how much of a phenomenal pure point he can be when he doesn't have to shoulder the scoring load (honestly - who on that team last year was steady offensively outside of kurt thomas?). there were many times last season when i thought steph was being unselfish to a fault. you could tell he was going out of his way to set guys up, but with the coaching change and everything we never really established any offensive chemistry. now that we've got a more cohesive roster and a HOF coach i think we'll see a different player this season.

There was an all-caps text message exchange between me and the boy UMAD when the news broke. NYers have never been happier.

that's pretty fucked up dude, honestly. it's not his fault the dolans decided to outbid themselves and give him a ludicrous contract to make him the face of the franchise .. and his knee subsequently gave out. look at the list of guys who have had microfracture surgery: jamal mashburn, terrell brandon, chris webber, antonio mcdyess ... shit is serious and most players are never quite the same after it. allan tried hard to come back to full strength, but the fact is he's got arthritic knees now and he'll never be able to play at the NBA level again. i used to love .... love watching allan play in his prime so i'm not going to pretend like he was some detriment to the team that we're better off without. it's a shame his career ended the way it did - remember that before his knee gave out he was having probably his best season, w/ multiple 50 point games - and it's a shame management decided to make a pure shooter the cornerstone of the franchise, which was never a realistic proposition.

whatever though, the new york media sucks dick and the fans are horribly fickle and have such a short memory that i wouldn't be surprised to hear lots of allan slander this week.

• that's pretty fucked up dude, honestly. it's not his fault the dolans decided to outbid themselves and give him a ludicrous contract to make him the face of the franchise .. and his knee subsequently gave out. look at the list of guys who have had microfracture surgery: jamal mashburn, terrell brandon, chris webber, antonio mcdyess ... shit is serious and most players are never quite the same after it. allan tried hard to come back to full strength, but the fact is he's got arthritic knees now and he'll never be able to play at the NBA level again. i used to love .... love watching allan play in his prime so i'm not going to pretend like he was some detriment to the team that we're better off without. it's a shame his career ended the way it did - remember that before his knee gave out he was having probably his best season, w/ multiple 50 point games - and it's a shame management decided to make a pure shooter the cornerstone of the franchise, which was never a realistic proposition.

whatever though, the new york media sucks dick and the fans are horribly fickle and have such a short memory that i wouldn't be surprised to hear lots of allan slander this week.

I mean, I hear you but then... I don't know man I still see it as selfish on his part to sit two seasons where it was pretty clear he was never gonna come back. Not to excuse the Dolans but I think, to most knick fans, they're seeing a guy sitting in clothes collecting his money... again, not saying that's the truth, but you're talking about millions of dollars and hardcore fans that just want to see the team win. Despite his greatness when he was healthy he is/was a detriment to the team, I mean how could he not be? As for personal motives or whatever, I mean noone really knows that, that shouldn't be part of the discussion.

• why was he a detriment - because we weren't under the cap? it's never going to happen. his contract didn't help, but it's a systematic problem with the knicks.

and who gives a fuck whether cablevision pays its players $100 million or $110 million or $60 million or $150 million .. nobody fucking cares. we're talking about multibillionaires, and the franchise itself is worth almost $1 billion. allan's contract is a lot of money, but relatively speaking it's sort of not ....

• why was he a detriment - because we weren't under the cap? it's never going to happen. his contract didn't help, but it's a systematic problem with the knicks.

and who gives a fuck whether cablevision pays its players $100 million or $110 million or $60 million or $150 million .. nobody fucking cares. we're talking about multibillionaires, and the franchise itself is worth almost $1 billion. allan's contract is a lot of money, but relatively speaking it's sort of not ....

I think it's more like "what we could have with that money". It really was prohibitive in terms of getting a(nother) marquee player.

He was a detriment because he was not producing - that simple. Watching him - even when he said he felt great - was downright painful. And while it's true that the Knicks would never be under the cap they could get more production for even less money.

• you know, i honestly don't recall what the collective bargaining agreement was like when allan signed (clearly it was different - can't sign that big of a contract anymore ...), so i can't comment about which unrestricted free agents we could have signed (if i remember correctly he was restricted). we did court some marquee guys, namely webber (thank god he just bounced our name off the maloofs to get more money) and duncan, but couldn't get anything to work.

and if you really want to get technical with it, our roster problems literally go back to the ewing trade. we should have let him walk.

yeah man i was sad watching allan play last season. he was kind of hunched over a little when he ran - it was obvious he was in pain. his jumper was still wet though ... too bad we won't see any more of that. it was one of the most picture perfect jumpers in the history of the NBA.

the big argument against allan houston for a long time was michael redd - he was producing similarly in milwaukee, and even a little better in terms of rebounding and assists, but for much, much cheaper. well he's not so cheap anymore. i think he's got buyer's remorse written all over him. i'll take the nice outside shooting for reasonable money, but about $15 million per is kind of pushing it. not saying he's allan houston pt. 2 or anything, but i also don't see him as being a $90 million guy.

also ... remember the playoff run in allan's contract year when he singlehandedly beat the pacers. dude was unstoppable. how many times in professional sports have we seen management overpay for a guy who stepped it up big in the postseason? dude just came up at the right time.

• such a shame man ...

plus ... did anyone else notice that al consistently had the tightest fades in the league? dude must have got his hair cut like every morning

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Charles Dolan goes for heart surgery (maybe they'll put one in???)

it was Jimmy not Mr. Dolan, and never bad mouth Charlie, because if it weren't for him you'd still only have 7 channels on your TV.

• I definitely go at Allan a lot because he was the poster child for a losing, mormon Knicks team. Paid too much, not at all gritty. In fact, maybe a pussy. dude never took it to the rim. He could too. I saw him break people, but he relied too heavily on his, admittedly, rediculously silky smooth j. His d was always suspect. How many times he just left a hand out there when dudes drove by him was rediculous. Not a big fan. But then again, I saw those signs before they signed him to a 9-figure deal. So, you're right. It's not his fault, it's the Knicks organization's fault. But it's much easier to hate on AH, cause I gotta love the Knicks. Plus, that whole "blood on their hands" thing didn't help at all.

• you know, i honestly don't recall what the collective bargaining agreement was like when allan signed (clearly it was different - can't sign that big of a contract anymore ...), so i can't comment about which unrestricted free agents we could have signed (if i remember correctly he was restricted). we did court some marquee guys, namely webber (thank god he just bounced our name off the maloofs to get more money) and duncan, but couldn't get anything to work.

the person we could've gotten was Reggie Miller. He was actually considering the move, but balked at their offer, so we went for AH. Webber was in the mix, but I think the bigger mistake was Chris Dudley and Chris Childs who I think we also got that year.

As a person who actually pays money to sit in the stands, Allan Houston was simply a person who could never create his own shot and thus with the static-ness of our ofensive scheme, never really meant as much to me as Spree or LJ. He's a fine shoooter, but I never thought he was built for this. He did have that one great playoff run, but what about the other years???? NYC cats may be fickle, but we also know that Allen wasn't as dope as people thought he was.

• The real shame about losing Houston is that he was the one player we wouldn't have to worry about being dress-code compliant. Have you seen the chains these youngs are wearing?