roll call (DJ unrelated)

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
How many record collectors here can't mix a record to save their lives? I admire all the mixes I check out on this site and envy the effort, but I can't match a beat to save my life really.I'm wondering what would the ratio be here of record collecting DJs and record collecting un-DJs.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

verylildudecollectro/formerdj

Robin go get the Bat-Doubles of

• I can...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Bat-Doubles

Bat-Doubles

Bat-Doubles

Bat-Doubles

Bat-Doubles

• Man I cant mix to save my life but that didn???t stop me somehow becoming a (locally) successful club DJ. I guess people like the tunes I play so they are happy to over look my clashing beats and crude tempo changes.

• YO, it's cool hommie. I got peeps that just don't have any natural rhythm but they got heart so it's all good. A lot of making it in the DJ biz is really all about marketing anyway. But I guess as far as it goes I would be a DJ record collector. The thing that I would like to point out is that there are a lot of things that go into making a dope DJ. I've got hommies that just collect records (not even dj's) and that's cool, I got hommies who just have a couple of skratch records and cut all day long and that's cool also. I ain't mad at nobody, but to combine the two takes some real dedication. Add in all the elements producing, battling, part rockin, performance style, skratch improve/ composition, workshops, radio, diggin, or any of the other things DJ's can do kinda opens a ton of thangs. You could easily get into any one of these and find a whole world in it's self. It's dope cause sometimes being able to do a lot of these things can enrich the other experience and push it that much farther. As far as cats getting into what's better that's just retarted. Cause as far as what, peeps would like all of them thangs. I mean hell ya show me the DJ who don't want more records, show me the collector who wouldn't like to be able to mix or skratch(just for the fun of it), show me the person who wouldn't want publishing on a major release, show me the inverted person who doesn't for just once wish they were more outgoing. But to put all of these toghether, Hmmm now that's the total package. Ain't to many that can lay claim to that title. Plus even the masters always find somethin else to learn. Keeps it fresh.
    But then as far as what a little hard work goes a lot farther then untapped natural talent. It's great when you find an area were you are not so strong at because it gives you a challenge and something to work on. If you don't go after it you are letting it disable you. So people step yo game up. If you gonna flaunt just the jewels, or just the jems, or just the skills, you can't call yourself an all out KING. But I've met a heck of lot people that weren't Kangs and some that are and the end of the day it's just the real cool nice people that really stand out, and that is true class right thurr.

• show me the inverted person

TRIPINDICULAR

• Word up, cause you know there is a operation hommie can get to make his inverted ones into outies.

• (o)(o)

What happened to those sweater meats?

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I don't mix nothin'.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this is my new favorite thread ever... good looking out isaac, and thanks for the personal shout out.
    I've got hommies that just collect records (not even dj's) and that's cool

• Word up, but for real though. Magic-jacko you got the ill records, and all that other ill stuff you got is nice too. We are gonna have to go diggin some time.
    As a rule of thumb if you really wanna DJ never give up. ADRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    How many record collectors here can't mix a record to save their lives?
    I admire all the mixes I check out on this site and envy the effort, but I can't match a beat to save my life really.

I'm wondering what would the ratio be here of record collecting DJs and record collecting un-DJs.

How about another category, music collecting non-DJs?

I stopped buying records a long time ago, and I stopped DJing last year. But I still listen to and collect music -- old habits die hard I guess.

I'll add that I've DJ'd with both vinyl and CDs and I prefer CDs because I'm lazy and records weigh too much. Don't hate me, I'm only 2 posts into soulstrut.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    How many record collectors here can't mix a record to save their lives?

I want to create a mix someday but just don't have the gumption to do it so, for now, I'm simply a music collector.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you know what's crazy to me, is that delay's 2000 post mix was created in like 1hr, straigt from doods repped in the reference thread. i have no idea how someone could do that shit so quick.