"Rome" on HBO. Can I get an amen?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Is this show not off-the-rails in the way that the best HBO shows are?Just saying.Discuss.

Comments

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I havent even watched more then 30 seconds of it... The production values seem more like a tbs show then HBO... bad costume design, bad lighting, etc etc. No idea if the story/acting/characters are up to par though...

When the fuck is season three of The Wire out on DVD?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    can i download it yet and not have CSIS come down through the windows with grappling hooks? torrent?

HBO?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jesus I would slay the shit out of Lucius's wife like WHOA.

And man, I would also get at Atia in a major way.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Jesus I would slay the shit out of Lucius's wife like WHOA.

And man, I would also get at Atia in a major way.

This isn't very deep but I really like how the show plays with history and fiction in terms of staying to a "real" series of events but then creating fictional mini-stories to help dress things up. It's not like most people really need a grasp of Roman history to appreciate the show but as someone who studied this kind of shit in my youth, it's fun to watch.

All the politics + sex doesn't hurt either.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Haven't had a chance to watch a whole episode yet. But if you like it you should def. check for "I Claudius" if you haven't already. That is one of the craziest shows ever about Rome.

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    Haven't had a chance to watch a whole episode yet. But if you like it you should def. check for "I Claudius" if you haven't already. That is one of the craziest shows ever about Rome.

I highly recommend the books (I Claudius & Claudius the God). Robert Graves wrote them, and he also wrote a great book, Goodbye to All That, about his return to, and disillusionment with, British society after his experience in WW1.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    I havent even watched more then 30 seconds of it... The production values seem more like a tbs show then HBO... bad costume design, bad lighting, etc etc. No idea if the story/acting/characters are up to par though...

sorry dude i know this is about a tv show and i shouldnt even be commenting on your paragraph, but it doesnt make sense what youre writing? you say you never really watched an episode, yet, you have all these negative comments about it.

anyway, i disagree with you but we all have our opinions.

the show is fantastic. sex violence politics and comedy. what the fuck else do i need? i enjoy the characters and the way they have been acted out. and yeah oli i agree that the mini fic stories inbetween actual events is what really brings the reality of the show to me. anyway, i really like the show a lot.

and i like the wire too...
    entourage
    oz

• I need to see this. TV trailer looked

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    god damn it. I dont have cable. See you guys in 6 months when i finally get to see how amazing this show probably is.

Last time this happened was the wire, which I currently consider the greatest t.v. show ive ever seen.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

sorry dude i know this is about a tv show and i shouldnt even be commenting on your paragraph, but it doesnt make sense what youre writing? you say you never really watched an episode, yet, you have all these negative comments about it.

I mean i haven't been able to get past more than a few minutes of the show becuase i find the visual style off putting. I know this doesnt qualify me to really critique the show, which is why i wrote "No idea if the story/acting/characters are up to par though..."

With all the praise you guys are heaping on it though, i guess ill "In Demand" the first episode and give it a spin.

And Bsides...

Yes The Wire is the best thing since sliced bread. Better probably.

i guess ill "In Demand" the first episode

someone else said "in demand" once... is is called that where you are? its called "On Demand" here in SF.

and im torn between which i like better out of Oz, the Wire, and Entourage.

• i guess ill "In Demand" the first episode

someone else said "in demand" once... is is called that where you are? its called "On Demand" here in SF.

dude, what's up with a "couch potato" szechuan? I still need to show you the divine power of "Arrested Development".

i guess ill "In Demand" the first episode

dude, what's up with a "couch potato" szechuan? I still need to show you the divine power of "Arrested Development".

next time its on... yall should come for dinner.

or bring some DVDs...

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Oops, On Demand, not In Demand.

I figure The Wire beats out the others. The humor (when its there) is so on point, and its SO addictive.

The best thing about Entourage is Jeremy Pivens character. The little redhead dude kinda rubs me the wrong way, as does the "hiphop" dude. That being said though, im amazed at how many absolutely gorgeous girls are in this show. Every extra is bang-a-langing.

Oz is dope, though i havent really watched it in a couple years.

Gamble,

That's the gamble (no pun intended) with a period series...they want to try to portray Rome with "authenticity" which means a lot of costumes, set designs, etc. and that's really hard to pull off without seeming, at times, corny.

But the show itself is excellent, despite a slow start. That's typical of HBO shows...it takes a few episodes for them to find their footing but I was hooked by the third one. What's weird with the show is how fast time moves. Some episodes take place over the course of a few days...others take place over months (like last night's), yet you don't seem to mind a lack of consistency. Shit, at the pace they're moving, I'm assuming the season finale will be on the Ides of March.

Et tu, MFers.

When the fuck is season three of The Wire out on DVD?

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Yah, Most HBO shows start waaay slow. Not just the first season either. Each new season of The Wire i was convinced the show had fallen off, until about three episodes in, anyway.

OK, i take my criticism back. Im gonna watch an episode of Rome tonight. You guys are making me soft.

Yah, Most HBO shows start waaay slow. Not just the first season either. Each new season of The Wire i was convinced the show had fallen off, until about three episodes in, anyway.

OK, i take my criticism back. Im gonna watch an episode of Rome tonight. You guys are making me soft.

Hmm...I wouldn't try to come in mid-season. You're not going to know who some of the major characters are or their backstory. I mean, Caesar and Mark Anthony you can read up on...but the two centurians, who both have major story arcs and are more or less the central characters in the show, are fictional.

Then again, on the sex and politics level, this week's episode is abundant with both.

Dude, "The Wire" could never fall off But yes, each season starts slowwwwwwwww.

But for real, just for the heads that know:

"I have a question I want to ask you."
    "Omar listening."

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I've been watching since the 1st episode. It seems to be a little up and down episode to episode, but overall I like it. If they had more crazy sex & backstabbling it would be even better! But I like most of the characters.

HBO has also been repaying the 1st season of the Wire, 2 episodes per week, so they really can do no wrong in my book right now.