Being A Club Dj is Not Complicated.

2»

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Actually, doing it "right" is somewhat complicated.

• People are trying to go to the club, not class.

I have the upmost respect for people that can do this. Because as they say "real dj's break records", but it takes quite a balance i would imagine, and you need to bring them back with hits 2 times for every time you play something new.

that may be right. depends on the crowd. depends on the club. but whats the conclusion? throw away all your "boring" and "not known" records and play the hits? i dont thinks so. if you do, i'll give you an adress to send all your records to.
    i believe in the power of good music and i trust on the my record selection. if i can dance to it, others can (and will), too. and i think if a crowd wants to hear the so called "hits" its not the right crowd for my records. educating people to come to your party to listen and dance to music which you do not know is surely hard work. but its worth it.
    you will have less people and less money and a very small club. and a (hopefully) growing crowd that enjoys great music that definetly should be played on and on.

(I DONT BOUGHT ALL THAT VINYL JUST FOR ME. GODDAMNIT!)

• Actually, doing it "right" is somewhat complicated.

thats what life is.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    People are trying to go to the club, not class.

I have the upmost respect for people that can do this. Because as they say "real dj's break records", but it takes quite a balance i would imagine, and you need to bring them back with hits 2 times for every time you play something new.

that may be right. depends on the crowd. depends on the club. but whats the conclusion? throw away all your "boring" and "not known" records and play the hits? i dont thinks so. if you do, i'll give you an adress to send all your records to.
    i believe in the power of good music and i trust on the my record selection. if i can dance to it, others can (and will), too. and i think if a crowd wants to hear the so called "hits" its not the right crowd for my records. educating people to come to your party to listen and dance to music which you do not know is surely hard work. but its worth it.
    you will have less people and less money and a very small club. and a (hopefully) growing crowd that enjoys great music that definetly should be played on and on.

(I DONT BOUGHT ALL THAT VINYL JUST FOR ME. GODDAMNIT!)

no ones saying they are gonna throw away any records.

and for what its worth, i play a lot of well known, popular, mainstream records and like them. just like all those people on the dance floor like them. why? because they are GOOD. thats mostly what made them popular in the first place. thats the power of good music.

• Actually, doing it "right" is somewhat complicated.

thats what life is.

Life is what you make it.

• You sound like a vegan.

iam young, iam innocent, i may know nothing (and i really, really need the money...). but to me djing is an artform and art is to teach people. its no big deal getting the crowd moving with records everyone knows, thats for sure. welcome to mainstream culture.
    getting the crowd dancing their ass off with amazing tracks they never heard before - and we all know there are a lot more left to play - makes me feel even better than playing james brown all the time or even playing what THEY want. they can only request what the already know.
    so pleeeaaaassseeeee go and teach them what they like to hear. my opinion.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Shit I'll play some fucking polka at the club, fuck it.

I think you're on to something, Cosmo.

Biters. I have been known to do that on many occasions...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• You sound like a vegan.

pretending to be a vegan ist one of my extremly developed skillz.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

keeping the dance floor packed for 4 hours straight is tough, one hour is not so tough

Smartest thing I have seen in this thread (besides Cosmos's bikini dancers)

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

if anyone has a copy of this, please pm me...trades welcome!!!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    but to me djing is an artform and art is to teach people.

i think there's plenty of artists out there who would argue differantly..

about the teaching part.

but to me djing is an artform and art is to teach people.

i think there's plenty of artists out there who would argue differantly..

about the teaching part.

Edutainment anyone? I think it is a good concept...works with me! Sometimes I have people coming up to me sayin: I don't like Hiphop in general, but the way you
    rocked just helped me to understand what it means. One of the best feelings evar!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Sometimes I have people coming up to me sayin: I don't like Hiphop in general, but the way you
    rocked just helped me to understand what it means. One of the best feelings evar!!!

Totally.

I think to go out there thinking "I'ma going to each those fools something tonight" is arrogant - who is anyone to teach people what they like? Maybe on a great night, someone gets blown away by a song or a set. DJs are just as lucky to have their audience as the audience is to have them. Folks on both sides of the turntables forget that.

I think to go out there thinking "I'ma going to each those fools something tonight" is arrogant - who is anyone to teach people what they like? Maybe on a great night, someone gets blown away by a song or a set. DJs are just as lucky to have their audience as the audience is to have them. Folks on both sides of the turntables forget that.

That is so true as well! Don't underestimate your audience!!! And for the record:
    A night where you play some stuff that surprises you as a dj as well is the best. I once played a czech beatvariation of Mozart to get people to LEAVE the club (it was a mainstreamish crowd) and they totally freaked out on the dancefloor again. I was like wtf? But that only after rocking some hits and putting a little santa esmeralda in there (i refused to play anything from the pulp fiction soundtrack though ) So, you never know what will happen!! But still, I always try to bring me some veggies for refreshing me and the audience

• There are all kinds of Dj's on this site, but I am fairly certain that the successful ones share a few common traits. Deep Crates, skills, and the ability to make asses shake. Very few people go to a club to learn about music. They go to shake their own ass or watch other people shake theirs.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

if anyone has a copy of this, please pm me...trades welcome!!!

Check your PM

• brussel sprouts are gross

nah dude you just have to cook them right and add butter and chopped walnuts.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    brussel sprouts are gross

nah dude you just have to cook them right and add butter and chopped walnuts.

I refuse to acknowledge "walnuts" as a topping on any food.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    brussel sprouts are gross

so gross. soooooo gross, like mushy brains that taste like stale wet dirt.

yes. unless it is from the dessert family.

for me, the "cook them right" theory will only work if they are dowsed with some sort of hot sauce.

so gross. soooooo gross, like mushy brains that taste like stale wet dirt.

yes. unless it is from the dessert family.

for me, the "cook them right" theory will only work if they are dowsed with some sort of hot sauce.

Just don't over cook them. If they are over cooked they get mushy and they suck, but if you don't over cook them they taste good.

• I think to go out there thinking "I'ma going to each those fools something tonight" is arrogant - who is anyone to teach people what they like? Maybe on a great night, someone gets blown away by a song or a set. DJs are just as lucky to have their audience as the audience is to have them. Folks on both sides of the turntables forget that.

thats correct. what i meant by "teaching" is showing people they can shake their ass off to music they didnt even know before they entered the club.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    There are a lot of good points in here for the most part. I think being a DJ is about sizing up your audience and the party. Find out what people want to hear. If it turns out all hits then that's what you should spin w/ a few goddies thrown in too. If you have a weekly or specific party you spin then you can start to put in more goodies/veggies 'cause chances are people are gonna start coming back to check out what you are doing. Maybe after a couple years you will have a group of people who are open as hell and will try to shake it to anything you put on, you probably need to be ina pretty BIG city to get this typa thing going on. On the other hand if your buddy calls you Friday afternoon too spin a house part you better just bring Prince, MJ, whatever's hot on the radio/MTV and maybee 25% eclectic shit that you might not even end up putting on b/c when you drop your first veggie people spit it out. Don't keep servin' 'em go back to the junk food 'cause your basic job as a DJ is to read the croud and play what THEY want... And who doesn't like junk food? If you aren't "feelin'" any mainstream music maybe you shouldn't be trying to spin out unless it's a REAL specific croud...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

This is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read on this site

You're not a big salad appreciator are you???