best Neo Funk LP (Desco, Daptone, etc.)

2»

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    This is the hardest neo-funk. Totally deserves a full length.

- spidey

CONTESTED!!!!!!!!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Your trippin balls homay.

- spidey

• Not sure if I would put these dudes next some of the wanna be "chicken chocker let's do the funky butt shuffle drop pt 2 b/w mama's loves grits on her mule" bands. I would say Quantic is ahead of the curve of these other bands as well, dude is way more varied in styles and for some reason they just sound way more original and without that "forced funk" feeling.

big co-sign on the "che che cole" 12, the lee fields 7'', miles 7 inch and the Joe Bataan.

Any of you dudes score Crank Case ft. Andy Cooper? real dope live band shit with a Cardova cover on the flip.

this is pretty decent as well

- spidey

Don't get me wrong, that KPB 45 is nice, but we're talking about the hardest neofunk 45, and in that category the Soultors piss all over the Karachi Prison Band, their cell mates, the guards, the warden, and the governer. end of story. You want me to post a soundclip to prove it?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    people shouold be checking for this. its smashing it.

Great straight-up soul album, but I wouldn't call this funk.

In the 90's there was a Chicago band called the Crown Royals who had a couple of good LP's on Estrus. Classic funk in the Meters mode - or at least early Kool & the Gang minus the horns. The guitarist and drummer now play in the Sol Reys, who mine the same territory; just saw them last night. Far better than the overrated Liquid Soul.

• This was the best record of 2001. With this release they really broke through the copy cat stuff that most of the rest of the retro bands are doing (albeit very well in most cases) and put their own stamp on the funk.

co-sign

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

- spidey

Don't get me wrong, that KPB 45 is nice, but we're talking about the hardest neofunk 45, and in that category the Soultors piss all over the Karachi Prison Band, their cell mates, the guards, the warden, and the governer. end of story. You want me to post a soundclip to prove it?

Plaese to post a soundclip, I haven't heard that track and you got me curious.

- spidey

Plaese to post a soundclip, I haven't heard that track and you got me curious.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~aaronda/wax/Stone%20Cold%20pt.1.mp3

• Not sure if I would put these dudes next some of the wanna be "chicken chocker let's do the funky butt shuffle drop pt 2 b/w mama's loves grits on her mule" bands. I would say Quantic is ahead of the curve of these other bands as well, dude is way more varied in styles and for some reason they just sound way more original and without that "forced funk" feeling.

You don't really like funk.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Also:

along with a lot of the poets of rhythm early 45s this for me is the hands-down no-contest best 'neo' funk type thing ever. serious good good piece of music there, streaks ahead of everything else on desco/daptone.

yeah, its great, I love that tune, but the other desco/daptone stuff has that intangible that a lot of the "serious" neo-funk stuff like this and the Poets of Rhythm lack, the intangible of the vibe about it...the dap-kings, mighty imperials, Lee Fields, etc...they have that "get off your ass and have a good time" abandon about them and I think that is what makes a lot of soul and funk so fucking great. Yeah I dig seriousness also, but I think the joy and love expressed on those "good times" records make them superior.

THis is my favorite joint by these guys. Most of their stuff is very Fela derivative (in the best way) whereas this is so next level.

You don't really like
    contrived[/b] funk.

exactly.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Also:

along with a lot of the poets of rhythm early 45s this for me is the hands-down no-contest best 'neo' funk type thing ever. serious good good piece of music there, streaks ahead of everything else on desco/daptone.

yeah, its great, I love that tune, but the other desco/daptone stuff has that intangible that a lot of the "serious" neo-funk stuff like this and the Poets of Rhythm lack, the intangible of the vibe about it...the dap-kings, mighty imperials, Lee Fields, etc...they have that "get off your ass and have a good time" abandon about them and I think that is what makes a lot of soul and funk so fucking great. Yeah I dig seriousness also, but I think the joy and love expressed on those "good times" records make them superior.

THis is my favorite joint by these guys. Most of their stuff is very Fela derivative (in the best way) whereas this is so next level.

I don't remember who told me this, but apaprently they're virtually no Antibalas bend members involved in making the 12". Perhaps this is why it's so fantastic. (I've never much carred for Antibalas with the notable exception of the first 12", which is sweet.)

• Options
    This is a great track, but has seriously lost it's lustre due to overexposure.

My 2, K.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

I agree with you, it's a great headphone song. Even though it's simply a wah over nice drums. Personally, I prefer the Karachi song much more danceable. The karachi would kill a party. The soultors would kill the vibe.

- spidey

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

My 2, K.

I assume that you mean overexposed at the soufriere household cause I ain't hearing that anywhere else around these parts.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I'd say Antibalas are more of a brand than a band. Probably 20 different core members and another 20 who sometimes play with them. It's funny when you see publicity shots for them in current articles and half the people left for Dap-Kings 2 years ago.

I listened to some QSO live sets and they seemed a bit Jay-Kay... I dunno maybe you had to be there. But I think Dap-kings could slay em live. All the other Dap bands seem to be instrumental only at the moment. Anyone seen/heard the Dee-Kays? I reckon they'd kill it live as well.

Anyway, my favorite at the moment is Lee Fields - Problems. Well varied and that Get on The Goodfoot cover is dope. And Thunder Chicken gets honorable mention mainly due to Joseph's Popcorn not being on a 45. I might boot it with the drum break AT THE BEGINNING

• Options

My 2, K.

I assume that you mean overexposed at the soufriere household cause I ain't hearing that anywhere else around these parts.

I didn't even buy it. Its' like certain classic rock records I never seem to buy, 'cause I can hear "Whole lOtta Love" on Q107 or any rocker's backyard hash oil party in Scarborough on a Friday/Sat night. I've heard that Antibalas at the least 30 (different) venues here in Toronto (but I go out a lot).

K in Canada

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Wow Toronto be bumpin'.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    good thread, I'm feelin a lot of the rekkids mentioned up in here. In terms of my fav's ..

top 3 (new) LPs:

Didiers Sound System

Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings - Naturally

The Limp Twins - Tales From Beyond The Groove

top 3 (new) 7's/10's:

The Bamboo's - Eel oil

Quantic Soul Orchestra - Super 8

Speedometer - Descarga d'Escargot"/"Accra International Airport 10 inch

I got to cop that Poets of Rhythm jawn

• worth a mention?