Will bass music blow just like crunk shit did?

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I smoked a doobie with Shy-D in the Skyywalker Studio parking lot. Mike Fresh rolled it.

The real title of this thread should read "Will bass music blow up IN NEW YORK just like crunk shit did?" Because NYers were the only people that weren't on the shit in the heyday, but insist on their 20/20 hindsight.

In florida it would kind of be a joke... everybody still remembers miami bass / electro too well. It never went away. Every guy was cutting records with titles like "2 titties and a dick" trying to get a hit with bass & nasty lyrics cut a la luke. In fact it's hard to find good hip-hop collections because they're 99% luke and magic mike productions.

A - you should be a step ahead then. There's certainly records in those collections that are or will be valuable.

A****w is running the bass/electro obscurities game--these German dudes been caking him off (*pasue*).

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I smoked a doobie with Shy-D in the Skyywalker Studio parking lot. Mike Fresh rolled it.

The real title of this thread should read "Will bass music blow up IN NEW YORK just like crunk shit did?" Because NYers were the only people that weren't on the shit in the heyday, but insist on their 20/20 hindsight.

In florida it would kind of be a joke... everybody still remembers miami bass / electro too well. It never went away. Every guy was cutting records with titles like "2 titties and a dick" trying to get a hit with bass & nasty lyrics cut a la luke. In fact it's hard to find good hip-hop collections because they're 99% luke and magic mike productions.

A - you should be a step ahead then. There's certainly records in those collections that are or will be valuable.

A****w is running the bass/electro obscurities game--these German dudes been caking him off (*pasue*).

Right, but I'm saying - I imagine that's a better investment than hip-hop 12"s, which are already declining in value.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    That Missy shit is fire!! This got me hyped for tonight, playin at Ruby Skye. Ima mix Kano into Oh into Camel Toe into Hoochie Mama!!! CHALLAH!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've been thinking that doing a throwback bass tribute track would be a good idea for Ludacris for a few years now.

Damn, that really is a good idea. Luda's got the right sensibility to do something fresh with a bass track.

Furthermore:

There's a downtempo cut on Magic Mike's 1991 Ain't No Doubt About It LP called "Slow Draggin'" that always makes me think "This is exactly what all those Mo' Wax dudes were aiming for except it's not boring."

• You know I've often actually wondered to myself if I like booty bass so much, how come Crunk sounds like ass to me? The only thing I can figure is that quote from de la soul is dead.... "maybe if you flipped to 45 so I could dance to it..."

And actually, the more uptempo south joints still sound good to me. Like, the only reason I'm a Trick Daddy fan is because "In Da Wind". And maybe the only reason I like that is because it isn't so damn slow. Trick Daddy's slower joints still dont really do it for me. The faster the beat is, the better he sounds (ala "scarred", to tie things all together). "In Da Wind" was the perfect tempo though.

Booty sounds dope slowed down too, so maybe crunk would sound better sped the fuck up?

You know I've often actually wondered to myself if I like booty bass so much, how come Crunk sounds like ass to me?

I think the primary difference between bass and crunk is that bass doesn't suck.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

I think the primary difference between bass and crunk is that bass doesn't suck.

The Castro speaks.

The Castro speaks.

Wrong side of the Bay.

Dude, get a late pass! Don't you realize that Archaic is The Bayologist????!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I thought Bass made a big comeback with the rise of Ghettotech a few years back, which was basically sped-up bass classics mixed with DJ Assault and Godfather productions. Bass music has always been one of my true loves, something that just grabs me when I hear it and makes me wanna dance like a stripper, it's so raw and visceral. I guess it's true that women respond to bass. I could really give a fuck if this shit catches on with the whole US of A, but anyone with leads on dope Bass mix cds, please to PM me.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Anna, I'm feelin' that avatar! And girls feeling like they wanna dance like strippers is a good thing in my book, so long live bass music. Whoever said crunk sucks is just wrong.

Kano into Oh into Camel Toe
    Hey! Hollertronix invented half time mixing, get your own style! (just kidding ) I'm guessing that's how you are going to get Oh up in the middle o' them two.

No, actually I'm gonna be debuting my new quadruple time mixing! Jeez dude, what there's a patent now? Shit's fun and sounds good, end of story. There's more than one way to do it, its all about execution.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I thought Bass made a big comeback with the rise of Coke and Ironic Hipsters [/b]

• I thought Bass made a big comeback with the rise of Coke and Ironic Hipsters [/b]

Miami Bass and electro aint never left the South..it didnt take some blow and white belts to bring it back.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm sayin'. It was always a pressence amongst the Latino and Phillipino population in the bay since Freestyle and "Hi-NRG" never really died out, so naturally bass music still held some weight. IMO the whole "booty bass/crunk/down south" clamoring that has been going on with hipsters/folks who coudn't give a shit 3 years ago is I dunno maybe racial irony.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Jeez dude, what there's a patent now? Shit's fun and sounds good, end of story.
    I totaly agree. I was just kidding b/c someone else on this board called me out a few months ago for saying that Billy Idol "white Wedding" and That Trick Daddy "Lets Go" song would be a good double time mix. I'm just playin' around.
    IMO the whole "booty bass/crunk/down south" clamoring that has been going on with hipsters/folks who coudn't give a shit 3 years ago is I dunno maybe racial irony.
    Or maybe cause it's fun to to dance/party too? And it just didn't have the same exposure 3 years ago (thanks to people like hollertronix and the "blogoshpere" it's a little more high profile now). I'm sure there is plenty of irony too, but bottom line it's fun as hell.

• If there is a booty bass hipster phenom going on I've certainly missed it....

I mean, is there really any new booty bass coming out? If so then let me know who's killing it right now. Otherwise I'll have to keep playing DJ Laz.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    man, i dont know nothin about what is hip. but i do know this for a fact. in my day it was all about the bass. about crossover amps and 12" rockford fosgates. slammin a nissan mini truck and shoving all that shit in the bed. and booty bass owned the bay area asians. LA was all about that frou-frou smiths and new order shit. which i like, i wont lie. but every church dance, youth conference, and birthday party i went to from san jose to union city. frisco to florin. the parents went to the other room and mofo's in z cavaricci's and silk shirts would play that booty shit. in fact, i think im playing records in a few weeks. and its gonna be all my booty shit.