Stax Vs. Motown

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Gaye and Wonder and Whitfield did far more as artists and producers than any[/b] Stax artist or producer.

Sayin'.........

I cosign w/ everything else you said.

• Gaye and Wonder and Whitfield did far more as artists and producers than any[/b] Stax artist or producer.

Sayin'.........

I cosign w/ everything else you said.

You can't forget Mr. Cropper.

• I think Motown would have been a little better if they had these guys blowin' some horns for them.

Was there a Motown house band? All I ever seem to hear about was the famous tamborine player!

Was there a Motown house band? All I ever seem to hear about was the famous tamborine player!

Sarcasm?

My vote goes to Stax. Why? Maybe because I found more breaks/samples on Stax than on the Motown label.

With all due respect to all the hip-hop producers on this board, buying a Stax record ONLY for breakbeats is like going to a five-star restaurant just to take a shit***.

cosign.

Since Motown has more records, I bet one could find double the amounts of

"samples/breaks/loops".

• Sarcasm?

I'm serious. The Hook-Up just told me about the Funk Brothers. I was sure there was a house band, just don't hear about them that much.

• Sarcasm?

I'm serious. The Hook-Up just told me about the Funk Brothers. I was sure there was a house band, just don't hear about them that much.

in the 70's the hose band was = Joe sample, Ray Parker Jr, Jerry Peters, Ed Green, The waters siters, James Gadson, Gary Coleman, melvin wah wah ragin, Dennis coffey, James Jamerson, Wilton Felder, Sonny Burke, Eddie "Bongo" Brown , John, Jack Arnold, David T.Walker etc......

many of the "household" names at motown enlisted these sessionmen as players for many of the label album of that "post what's goin" time I enjoy so much

just my 2 c

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Sarcasm?

there's a great documentary about them called "standing in the shadows of motown". check it out.

• Sarcasm?

there's a great documentary about them called "standing in the shadows of motown". check it out.

Heard about this, just never picked it up. Any good? Thanks for the info Strider...not hatin' just didn't know...seriously.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Sarcasm?

Heard about this, just never picked it up. Any good? Thanks for the info Strider...not hatin' just didn't know...seriously.

i liked it a lot, although some of the present day performances with other people are not as great as i would like. but the stories are awesome. defintely worth watching once or twice, but i don't know if i'd buy it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    in the 70's the (motown) hose band was = Joe sample, Ray Parker Jr, Jerry Peters, Ed Green, The waters siters, James Gadson, Gary Coleman, melvin wah wah ragin, Dennis coffey, James Jamerson, Wilton Felder, Sonny Burke, Eddie "Bongo" Brown , John, Jack Arnold, David T.Walker etc......

This crew was on just about everybody's album in the 70's, not just Motown's.

Can anyone think of another artist that recorded for both labels besides (Mable John)?

Kim Weston.
    Major Lance.

• Can anyone think of another artist that recorded for both labels besides (Mable John)?

Kim Weston.
    Major Lance.

j.j. barnes...though the motown stuff wasn't released (till recently).

• Can anyone think of another artist that recorded for both labels besides (Mable John)?

Kim Weston.
    Major Lance.

j.j. barnes...though the motown stuff wasn't released (till recently).

I killed brain cells trying to think of this and I knew of these. Thanks guys.

• in the 70's the (motown) hose band was = Joe sample, Ray Parker Jr, Jerry Peters, Ed Green, The waters siters, James Gadson, Gary Coleman, melvin wah wah ragin, Dennis coffey, James Jamerson, Wilton Felder, Sonny Burke, Eddie "Bongo" Brown , John, Jack Arnold, David T.Walker etc......

This crew was on just about everybody's album in the 70's, not just Motown's.

yeah since they were top studio-session men located in L.A. :

please refresh my memory ,suggesting some motown album they play :

I remember

1) pieces of dreams with Stanley turrentine,
    2) Ethiopian knights with donald byrd
    3) Cameo by Dusty springfield........mmhh what else ?

Kim Weston.
    Major Lance.

oh, and of course don davis did some early motown session work (and tons of other detroit stuff) before leading (detroit's) dramatics to superstardom at stax.

Can anyone think of another artist that recorded for both labels besides (Mable John)?

Kim Weston.
    Major Lance.

oh, and of course don davis did some early motown session work (and tons of other detroit stuff) before leading (detroit's) dramatics to superstardom at stax.

If you really wanna stretch it...after the original Stax/Volt labels went out of business, Fantasy Records revived those imprints on a couple of occasions, and one of the artists was former Motowners the Spinners.