Anyone heard the new YNQ?

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I got it today and quite like it...it's not as overloaded as the first one, relatively short (which I like), and the drums are just Malcom Catto on drums is heavy too and Babatunde kills it on "Theme for Ivory Black". I know some of you don't feel all of Otis' stuff, esp. this jazzy thing, I remember Bobbito didn't like it at all, but this new joint is fine with me. And yes I do know I should but I just wanna hear other strutters opinions about this release....

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Its alot better, aminly because madlib actually had session players playing and he just produced and arranged. sound is a lot more cohesive.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    yeah, Dan Ubick on guitar and Todd Simon on Trumpet are dope....Madlib also rearranged some Billy Brooks and David Axelrod stuff, jus' nice

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I have not heard this, but I hope it quiets a lot of the people who write Madlib off as just a sloppy producer with no real talent.

• I got it today and quite like it...it's not as overloaded
    as the first one, relatively short (which I like),
    and the drums are just
    Malcom Catto on drums is heavy too and Babatunde kills it
    on "Theme for Ivory Black". I know some of you don't feel all
    of Otis' stuff, esp. this jazzy thing, I remember Bobbito
    didn't like it at all, but this new joint is fine with me.
    And yes I do know I should but I just wanna
    hear other strutters opinions about this release....

When did this whole thing drop? I'm gonna have to check the record store tomorrow.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I got it today and quite like it...it's not as overloaded
    as the first one, relatively short (which I like),
    and the drums are just
    Malcom Catto on drums is heavy too and Babatunde kills it
    on "Theme for Ivory Black". I know some of you don't feel all
    of Otis' stuff, esp. this jazzy thing, I remember Bobbito
    didn't like it at all, but this new joint is fine with me.
    And yes I do know I should but I just wanna
    hear other strutters opinions about this release....

based on your listen, would you say he has progressed? i dont care about people that have the opinion (or fact for that matter) that he's not a musician...i dont care, i dont just want to see "artists" paint. that said, i really dont like listening to ynq for extended periods of time, if i hear a track or two mixed into a mix i can dig it, but i appreciated his attempt and approach more than the result on lib's first one.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    When did this whole thing drop? I'm gonna have to check the record store tomorrow.
    Not sure when it drops. got it from PIAS, but theres a 12" that was released a few weeks ago with a cover of 40 days, a song that tribe sampled for luck of lucien (you all know anyway i guess)...

based on your listen, would you say he has progressed? i dont care about people that have the opinion (or fact for that matter) that he's not a musician...i dont care, i dont just want to see "artists" paint. that said, i really dont like listening to ynq for extended periods of time, if i hear a track or two mixed into a mix i can dig it, but i appreciated his attempt and approach more than the result on lib's first one.

cosign. I would say that he progressed compared to the first one. Using dope musicians is one fact, you can hear that there is much more to it, then just the too-stoned freestyling that made the first sometimes a tough listen - especially the horns come out nice. And just the drums, some of these are really raw. I think he just got it more together this time (also with approaching the songs) and I know I will listen to this one a lot more than to the first. Attempt and approach do seem to match the result. However, it is still yesterdays new ish...you know what you are dealing with, right...i totally get your point of just hearing one track or two of it, but apart from one or two songs, everything on here is rather solid. Could listen to it on repeat. Don't know if it is the same next week though, but i dig it more than the first.