BBQ Side Dishes (HELP)

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
so i have this bbq party deal on saturday, and its the everyone has to bring your own dish type, and i dont want to bring some boring baked beans or wack ass chips. hook me up with some ill side dish recipes so i can cook up some dope eats and impress all my friends.

Comments

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Fried Okra or

JALAPE?O POPPERS
    8 fresh jalape?os
    4 ounces cream cheese, softened
    8 slices thin bacon, cut in half crosswise

Cut the chiles in half lengthwise; scrape out seeds and membranes*. Fill each half with cream cheese, but do not mound it. Four ounces should be just about the right amount for 8 average size jalape?o halves. If you have extra large chiles, make sure you have a full 8 ounces of cream cheese on hand. Wrap each with 1/2 slice raw bacon, making sure to start with the end on the bottom of the chile. Stretch the bacon slightly to make it go all the way around each chile once (see photo below), then tuck ends underneath. Place cream cheese side up on foil-lined baking sheet. Can be assembled and chilled until just before baking and serving. Bake at 375? 20-25 minutes. If bacon isn't quite done, broil a few more minutes to brown.

Makes 16 servings

* I found that my lemon zester was just about the right size for scraping out the seeds. Its somewhat sharp edges worked well to dig out the membranes too.

Per Popper: 45 Calories; 4g Fat; 2g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs
    Per 2 Poppers: 90 Calories; 8g Fat; 3g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

Everyone enjoyed these. I think the cream cheese could use some kind of flavoring mixed into it, but they were very good dipped in Cilantro Pepita Dressing & Dip. Note the tip about wrapping the bacon. I found that if I started with the end on the top, the bacon would unwrap during baking, so be sure to have both ends tucked under the jalape?os. I baked mine 20 minutes and then broiled them 4-5 minutes. The chiles were just tender and the bacon was nearly crisp. I think it's important to use thinly sliced bacon for these. Thick cut bacon wouldn't get done before the chiles are overdone.

• pesto pasta salad

1 jar pesto
    1 box pasta
    1 box cherry tomatos
    2 can of artichokes
    1 pack of pine nuts

cook the pasta, tost the pine nuts in the oven cut up teh artichokes and tomatos and mix it all together make it the day before so it can rest in the fridge over night

• so i have this bbq party deal on saturday, and its the everyone has to bring your own dish type, and i dont want to bring some boring baked beans or wack ass chips. hook me up with some ill side dish recipes so i can cook up some dope eats and impress all my friends.

fried okra

great minds eat alike

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

fried okra

plaese to elaborate, i am a lil food dood

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    pesto pasta salad

1 jar pesto
    1 box pasta
    1 box cherry tomatos
    2 can of artichokes
    1 pack of pine nuts

cook the pasta, tost the pine nuts in the oven cut up teh artichokes and tomatos and mix it all together make it the day before so it can rest in the fridge over night

Jar of pesto?! You gotta make pesto from scratch hommie. Homemade pesto is KILLIN' anything out of a jar!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    fried okra
    mac and cheese
    biscuits
    fancy delishious mashed potatoes
    etc.

Funny, I'm going to dj a bbq this weekend too, I made two gallons of my secret bbq sauce that takes like 4 hours to make and wait, wait, wait....

9 dozen pickled eggs, my specialty, yes 9 dozen

fried okra

plaese to elaborate, i am a lil food dood

easy to make, but depending on where you live, it could be difficult to get. farmer's markets are usually a good bet:

Southern Fried Okra
    1 pound fresh okra
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup cornmeal
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    Vegetable oil

Wash and slice okra; pat dry with paper towels.
    Combine eggs and buttermilk; add okra, and let stand for 10 minutes.
    Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
    Drain okra, small portions at a time, using a slotted spoon.
    Dredge okra, small portions at a time, in flour mixture.
    Pour oil to depth of 2 to 3-inches in a Dutch oven of deep-fat fryer and heat to 375*F (190*C). Fry okra until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
    Makes 4 servings.

you'd have to increase the ingredients as you'll be serving more folks... check the web for more detailed recipes

• might i recommend a coleslaw pasta salad?

1 pkg farfalle (bowtie) noodles
    1 green cabbage
    1 purple cabbage
    1 jar green olives
    1 jar coleslaw dressing (litehouse, etc.)
    1 sm pkg blue cheese
    salt and pepper

cook pasta and drain noodles. slice each cabbage in half lengthwise and remove core. using chef's knife (or cuisinart, better) shred cabbage into thin slices about 1 1/2 " long and 1/8" thick. basically the consistency of coleslaw. you'll want about three cups or so of each color cabbage. then remove olives from jar and dice medium. in a mixing or salad bowl combine noodles, cabbage, green olives, blue cheese and toss with coleslaw dressing. don't overdo it on the dressing. salt and pepper to taste. this can be made in advance and is actually better when it sits in the fridge for a few hours.

-j

• pesto pasta salad

1 jar pesto
    1 box pasta
    1 box cherry tomatos
    2 can of artichokes
    1 pack of pine nuts

Jar of pesto?! You gotta make pesto from scratch hommie. Homemade pesto is KILLIN' anything out of a jar!

I agree but not everyone has a food processor so some people need to buy the jar.