HARD DRIVE? WTF??? Shit drive is more like it.

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Hey guys, so I bought a Lacie 160 (7200 RPM) harddrive for my computer. I was copying some files and then it was saying that I could compy some files because characters weren't recognized. The characters in question were ? / ! and a few more. I didn't realize it was that finickey.So this was about halfway through when I hit my first one. I emptied the shit from the hard drive and then have started to remove the files - YES, going through my MP3s one by one, and removing the objectionable characters from the mp3s. A bitch, but needed.Anyway, now when I hit APPLE I on the harddrive icon, it now says 149 GB available. Shit is enptry. What the fuck?Any ideas?

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    harddrives never actually have the amount of space on the box... 149gb for a 160gb is about right...

• yep, my freshly added 200 gig is about 181 gig fo real. it's always like that, technical whatnot. it has like enough bytes to be mathematically what it says, but broken down to gigabytes it's less, somehow

wow, does that make any sense?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    My office has just stopped using Lacies after about 4 years of putting up with that shit - every single drive has packed up at some point and had to be sent off to have the data sucked out if it... But a lot of drives do what you've described i.e give you a chunk less memory than they promise My spanking new Maxtor 100Gb hard drive offers me 89 gig and it's got sod all on it...

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    yep, my freshly added 200 gig is about 181 gig fo real. it's always like that, technical whatnot. it has like enough bytes to be mathematically what it says, but broken down to gigabytes it's less, somehow

It should be 200 gb converted from bytes! I believe its the filesystem that eats up that extra space.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    yep, my freshly added 200 gig is about 181 gig fo real. it's always like that, technical whatnot. it has like enough bytes to be mathematically what it says, but broken down to gigabytes it's less, somehow

It should be 200 gb converted from bytes! I believe its the filesystem that eats up that extra space.

what filesystem takes almost 20 gigs?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    what filesystem takes almost 20 gigs?

Good point.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    fake ass drives, they always act hard, but can't walk the streets without their business card.

• samsung: quiet, fast and very durable. (durable if you don't get one of the monday or friday drives...story of a friend: had to send hd back twice and get new ones till finally worked)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I almost bought a lacie this week on impulse

I am glad i held off

So I thougt Cheetah and seagate were good drives???

Please Advise

I got a lacie and so does my girl. no complaints thus far from either of us.

(knock on wood)

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I got a western digital 320GB external at costco for $240.00. I have had NO problems at all. Runs smooth, firewire from the drive to my PC. I've been actin' a fool on soulseek!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I also love me some WD drives. In all the ones I've got over the years, only one gave me a problem. Had it for 8 months and shit fucked up. Sent it back to WD and they sent me a brand new drive.

I just bought a 200 gig a few months ago from Computer alley (aKa College St.) Dropped it in an external enclosure. All for about $120 bucks US.

Now I got an 80, 120, 200!

As for not really getting "Whatever size the drive says" question. I believe this is due to the fact that there are two different measurement used sizes. Decimal "GB" & binary "GiB". Binary is used by Windows and decimal is used by the manufacturers. Both are correct, but it's stupid and there really should be one way of letting people know the drive size.

• Not to get all geeky, but this explains the space reporting issue:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30065

It's simply that the Mac OS sees 1 MB in powers of 2, so 1024x1024 = 1,048,576 bytes, instead of 1000x 1000 = 1,000,000 bytes. This adds up when you have larger hard drives. You have the space, its just reading it differently.

If you get messages regarding specific characters or length of names when you're copying info, you might want to make sure the LaCie is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), which is the format you should use with 10.3 or 10.4. You can do this by opening the Disk Utility and clicking on the LaCie volume name (the one indented underneath the LaCie disk), then looking at the bottom of the screen under format. If it's not in that format, I'd backup the data and reformat that drive as Mac OS Extended... it'll make it more reliable for future use.

truestu

• edubedub 715 Posts
    ... I was copying some files and then it was saying that I could compy some files because characters weren't recognized. The characters in question were ? / ! and a few more. I didn't realize it was that finickey.

I know it's too late now, but you should never use "weird" characters in filenames. Only alpha-numeric, as well as "-" or "_" should be used.

The "/" can be a real disaster, as this is how most operating systems describe a change in directory.

I'm not a programmer, or anything, so I could be slightly off on my explanation, but good advice to just use characters as I described above.

Good luck.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    All I needed to do was format the bitch.

She's purring like she's at Pete's Pond now.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    All I needed to do was format the bitch.

She's purring like she's at Pete's Pond now.

Did you lose anything important?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

"Shit Sandwich"

SG

• choleracholera 101 Posts
    Hey guys, so I bought a Lacie 160 (7200 RPM) harddrive for my computer. I was copying some files and then it was saying that I could compy some files because characters weren't recognized. The characters in question were ? / ! and a few more. I didn't realize it was that finickey.
    So this was about halfway through when I hit my first one. I emptied the shit from the hard drive and then have started to remove the files - YES, going through my MP3s one by one, and removing the objectionable characters from the mp3s. A bitch, but needed.

Anyway, now when I hit APPLE I on the harddrive icon, it now says 149 GB available. Shit is enptry. What the fuck?

Any ideas?

I had the exact same thing happen to my LaCie 160 last night. I took it out of the packaging, and bam, this exact same deal. Weird. Paging Aser.