new ipod

2»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The core business is in danger of falling apart. People are running OS X on generic intel machines already. Jobs NEEDS to diversify or partner up with some cheap pc manufacturer to make the upcoming mactel machines affordable for the average joe.

These kids know how OS x works and will keep modifying whatever build comes out. And they'll keep developing drivers for hardware...sound cards, video cards, etc. Dude's gonna have to rely on more than elegant design and clean aesthetics when fools can trick out their bootleg macs to run just as good (perhaps faster) and look even cleaner or better than the stock model!

um no dude, it's nowhere near in danger of falling apart. That was back in 96-97..........

the development kit was cracked, but that is just the development kit, it won't be updated like the regular os is. Even if the commercial release is cracked when the official intels are launched in june 2006, apple will stop the crack. Then it's that back and forth game of crack vs fix, crack vs fix. Sure this might appeal to the hardcore l33t sp33k dudes but that's not what apple's focus is at. They're after the common joe who is fed up w/ having their systems crash on them w/ viruses and spyware.[/b] This is where the money's at, not the hackers. Time is money....

Also, the reason os x works so well is apple's tight leash on components. You won't get the full mac experience running os x on a self built pc w/ all these obscure no name brand pci cards and such.

Finally, I don't know how you can say macs aren't affordable now, look at the price points for mac minis. That says it all.

What is Apple's world market share of OS's??? Something tells me if they ever get anywhere (Which will never happen IMO) close to MS % you will see enough viruses & spyware. It's not that Windows is really all that much more unsecure or vulnerable. It's that percentage wise, more hackers/script kiddies are gonna try to fuck with MS.

Also, I don't think you will just see "hardcore l33t sp33k dudes" fuck with Apple's OS. Just look at Sony and PSP's. Everybody I know is fucking with their firmwares making it do the things they want it to do. Not what Sony wants it to do. The same will be with Apple downtheline IMO.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I think ya'll are sleeping on the video capabilities. What about old school hip-hop videos? that would be dope, especially with the connection to the TV? Or what about a movie on a plane, you know a movie you actually want to watch? Yeh the screen size issue is a problem, but I would not be surprised if they came out with an add on screen or something like that.

I dunno, it seems dumb now, but then again most people thought camera phones were dumb. I think its gonna be game cahnging.

Yeah I saw on iTUNES they have some tight videos now. BigL and Beatnuts.....If they get a bunch more ....it may look kinda sweet....but you can't burn them...that sucks..so to have a back up you need an external HD or to always have videos on both your computer and your iPOD

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    yeh its the same as the music, but if the Ipod is portable and can hook to teh TV, what is the need for burning them nah mean? CD and DVD are soon to go bye bye... well maybe not soon, but I can see their end in sight.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    a psp is a lot easier to install the hack patch than say an apple cpu.

the worldwide market share is about 4-5% if I recall, and sure, that probably has something to do w/ the lack of viruses on the platform. However, os x is much more secure out of the box compared to xp, that is a fact. Sure, you can fine tune your xp to make it secure, but the average user is not going to know how to do that. Whereas a lot vulnerabilities open in xp are already closed in os x from the get go.

http://www.xvsxp.com/log-in/#securityOutOfTheBox

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thanks you guys! all this talk has driven apple stock up almost $5/share, just today! stock code: AAPL.

a psp is a lot easier to install the hack patch than say an apple cpu.

the worldwide market share is about 4-5% if I recall, and sure, that probably has something to do w/ the lack of viruses on the platform. However, os x is much more secure out of the box compared to xp, that is a fact. Sure, you can fine tune your xp to make it secure, but the average user is not going to know how to do that. Whereas a lot vulnerabilities open in xp are already closed in os x from the get go.

http://www.xvsxp.com/log-in/#securityOutOfTheBox

Of course it's more secure out of the box. MS has been on top for years. As soon as XP came out there were probably hundreds of thousands messing with it. When OSX dropped, maybe a couple of hundred???

In Sept. MS holds around 90% of the Market share for OS's. Apple is around 3%

For browsers, IE is around 75% of the worlds market share. This is the way its been for yearrrssss.

But just think, if you build two brand new buildings. One has 10 doors and the other one has 100,000. Which one is going to be able to get broken into or fucked with easier?

It just makes sense that there are a massive amount of people out there that will fuck around with code, etc for MS platforms. But, I have no doubt OSX is a solid OS tho. Just that you can't compare the two on the same level.

And as for errors, I'm betting that a major amount of errors are due to 3rd party software. Not due to the MS OS.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

As for the PSP thing... It's not as easy as that. Most have to downgrade their firmware and do alot more than just install a hack.

Speaking about PSP's... Watch out people, there's a PSP trojan that will turn ur shit into a nice brick!!! PSP gettin' fucked with!!!

On second thought, Hmm forget the building deal.. I should have put it a different way.

• Next for iPods: wireless!

Next for iPods: wireless!

Wicked!!!

Then we can surf soulstrut on ipods!!!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    also, the market share number is not accurate as it's only a refleciton of sales revenue in a quarter. It doesn't account for the install base, which totals to around 8-10%.

also, the market share number is not accurate as it's only a refleciton of sales revenue in a quarter. It doesn't account for the install base, which totals to around 8-10%.

Install based??? Ahhh are you including illegal bootleged operating systems installed? I would think MS would own 97% of the market share in that case.

heh

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    no, the figures quoted online are based on new sales divided into 4 quarters per year. Think about it, this is just a reflection of new computers bought. It doesn't account for a user like me (install base) who has been using the same powermac g4 for the last 4 years. In my experiences, mac users tend to upgrade less often than their pc equivalent counterparts.

The people hacking the developer's version of os x now is so minute it's not even significant.

also, the holes I mentioned in xp are not hacked, hence it doesn't matter if hundreds of thousands more users are picking away at it. Read that link I provided, these are holes left open by the developers. Amongst them are....

- In XP hidden "recognized" file extensions mean that users could be fooled by "faux" extensions (Picture.jpg.exe, where .exe is hidden) unless they are in Tiles view and looking for the full file information

- Software automatically inherits the rights of the account in which it is run: since the default XP account is an admin account, software requiring admin privileges in this default account may run without the user's explicit permission

regardless, this is getting very off topic..........back to ipods, they'll sell no matter how useless the video feature is. People want the latest gadgets and features for the cool factor, so they can show their friends they're up on the latest shit. Consumerism at its best and worst.....