Atmosphere...Uhh...yeah...

DJelV2000DJelV2000 322 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Whats up with these dudes?I just got home from the concert and Ant came along for the ride but BEFORE and AFTER the hip hop section of the show there was Slug and some so - so band playing jam rock steez... big ass WTF...I've seen them before and loved the show (and the middle section of the show was hotbut the rest...?) do they do this everywhere?i'm a fan of the records, but the show was

Comments

• None of that nonsense last time I saw em, just rap.

Jam rock? Ew.

Does DJ Abilities still perform with them?

• naw...
    some guy named "Dj Rare Groove"
    it's fucked up because so many of his records skipped... it was rediculous...

and he was on some "who remembers this" shit and dropped...

Sugar Hill? Come on

I Know this is Vermont, but, shit...

ask 99Problems or Nate B

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    naw...
    some guy named "Dj Rare Groove"
    it's fucked up because so many of his records skipped... it was rediculous...

I imagine he was there with Blueprint or someone like that, he's from Cinci or Columbus. I've seen him play some decent stuff, OG "Impeach" at uncrowded shows, etc. Its been a few years, though, and I never liked his name.

• i can't stand atomsphere. absolutely terrible, in my opinion. slug is one of the corniest emcees i've ever heard, and the production isn't flattering at all. i don't get it.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    cosign.
    as a kid from the upper midwest i've been checking them for a long awhile. i hate to be that dude with the "remember when" BS but they haven't done anything for me since the Headshot tapes and Overcast.

FREE SPAWN.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    When a female student in 11th grade honors class says she likes underground rap and wears an Atmosphere shirt as proof of that position, you know the shit isn't good.

• there was Slug and some so - so band playing
    jam rock steez...

Oh man this doesn???t sound good.
    I was just talking to a friend a few days ago about what Atmophere will do next, and I suspected that they might add a rock element to their sound.. I hope I???m wrong and what you saw was just a one off.

I saw Atmosphere in Paris ain 2003 they were amazing man.

• Whatever...
    The first half of their new album blows 1000 others to smithereens.
    It has some straight boom bap hardcore bangers on there. No rock shit, not soft shit, just straight-up.
    Ant is a shit hot producer, Dibbs is straight fire & Slug can rhyme circles around many.

Only fuckheads attach the word 'Emo' to them. The world would be a better place if males opened the fuck up & expressed themselves emotionally anyway.

I met dude & he was solid.
    Knew his hip hop history, knew that people wanted to pigeonhole him & wanted to know about the local scene.
    And he was a gracious appreciative fellow. And his show later that night blew the fucking roof off.

Now Buck65, that's a dude who went arse end up.

• Atmosphere are a safe hate. It's not like everything they've done is great, but c'mon.

• Loved this

Kinda gone downhill since.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    The world would be a better place if males opened the fuck up & expressed themselves emotionally anyway.

AYOOOOOO!!!

• Whatever...
    It has some straight boom bap hardcore bangers on there. No rock shit, not soft shit, just straight-up.
    Ant is a shit hot producer, Dibbs is straight fire & Slug can rhyme circles around many.

Only fuckheads attach the word 'Emo' to them. The world would be a better place if males opened the fuck up & expressed themselves emotionally anyway.

Knew his hip hop history, knew that people wanted to pigeonhole him & wanted to know about the local scene.
    And he was a gracious appreciative fellow. And his show later that night blew the fucking roof off.
    that's cool, but they still suck.

• Whatever...

that's cool, but they still suck.

Joining the 'easy punching-bag artists' queue anytime soon?
    M.O.P. one far behind??? Hmmn, I didn't think so.

But saying that they are terrible & Slug is corny is a bit rich...
    ...they might not be your taste, but 'terrible'...? Can't agree at all.

Slug is one of those rare emcees that girls like because he's open with his feelings & guys like him because he expresses his frustrations with relationships that they can relate to.
    How is that corny?
    Getting girls into good hip hop is a hard task as it is. Can't see that as a bad thing.
    Prior to their Epitaph signing they weren't exactly the 'cool' kids on the block as they are now.
    Though I see what you mean. They might now be seen as the hip hop they can like when reading Vice mag.

At least he's not a vapid single minded emcee who talks about being in 'the club' all the time.
    And I'm not some card carrying Rhymesayers fanboy.

Though I do rate Brother Ali over Slug, but that's not taking anything away from Slug.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    atmosphere had a huge "white college girl with dreads" following before the epitaph signing. i don't really care for the music at all, but what i do care about is the retarded fanbase that they somehow attract that seem to think that anything on rhymesayers is the beginning and end of rap and that if you're on the radio that you are not that "REAL SHIT."

• I've seen him play some decent stuff, OG "Impeach" at uncrowded shows, etc.

for some reason i'm not surprised the show was "uncrowded"

• atmosphere had a huge "white college girl with dreads" following before the epitaph signing. i don't really care for the music at all, but what i do care about is the retarded fanbase that they somehow attract that seem to think that anything on rhymesayers is the beginning and end of rap and that if you're on the radio that you are not that "REAL SHIT."

I'm sure it is different down here but we are smart enough to not judge an artist by some of their fans. Same could be said of Solesides, Def jux & a multitude of labels that seem to garner fanatical followings. They usually stick to the one label & don't really want to hear anything else anyway. Major or indy.
    I don't think radio is even interested in playing the GOOD SHIT anyway.

Do you think the majority of the producers on this board get their stuff played on the radio to any great degree?
    Would they be making lesser music because of that fact?
    I wholly understand the sentiments behind that attitude, but i also realise some can get a bit carried away with the ideology.

• Just heard two new Atmosphere tracks on the Rhymesayers website and man shits sounding better than ???7evens travels??? already!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm sure it is different down here but we are smart enough to not judge an artist by some of their fans. Same could be said of Solesides, Def jux & a multitude of labels that seem to garner fanatical followings. They usually stick to the one label & don't really want to hear anything else anyway. Major or indy.

Do you think the majority of the producers on this board get their stuff played on the radio to any great degree?
    I wholly understand the sentiments behind that attitude, but i also realise some can get a bit carried away with the ideology.
    I'm not judging the artist by their fans. I judge the artist by their music. In this case, I don't like the artist's music and in turn they just so happen to have an obnoxious fanbase which makes them even less appealing to me than they were in the first place. I'm sorry that I didn't make my statement clear beforehand, but Atmosphere has been pretty big for at least the past five years and they have only been big with people who don't usually listen to rap in the first place.

• I'm sure it is different down here but we are smart enough to not judge an artist by some of their fans. Same could be said of Solesides, Def jux & a multitude of labels that seem to garner fanatical followings. They usually stick to the one label & don't really want to hear anything else anyway. Major or indy.

I'm not judging the artist by their fans. I judge the artist by their music. In this case, I don't like the artist's music and in turn they just so happen to have an obnoxious fanbase which makes them even less appealing to me than they were in the first place. I'm sorry that I didn't make my statement clear beforehand, but Atmosphere has been pretty big for at least the past five years and they have only been big with people who don't usually listen to rap in the first place.

I bought 'Overcast Ep' & the 'DynoSpectrum' album when they came out & my mates are hip hop heads so I can't really see from outside that viewpoint. They were just an interesting & valid sound from Mid-West USA. Never realised that people outside the usual heads had adopted them in any great force. Sad that these outside 'fans' people are such knobs.
    New album is pretty good. More straight up than previous ones. Worth at least a listen.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    and they have only been big with people who don't usually listen to rap in the first place.

ive noticed this as well...just about every person i know has their ONE hip-hop cd, and its usually some atmosphere....or aesop rock.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    and they have only been big with people who don't usually listen to rap in the first place.

ive noticed this as well...just about every person i know has their ONE hip-hop cd, and its usually some atmosphere....or aesop rock.
    or some mos def or talib kweli. it's just shit for people to act like they have well-rounded music tastes so they can say that they listen to rap but not that "commercial stuff."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    today:

five years ago:

ive noticed this as well...just about every person i know has their ONE hip-hop cd, and its usually some tribe called quest[/b]....or de la soul[/b].

• today:

five years ago:

ive noticed this as well...just about every person i know has their ONE hip-hop cd, and its usually some tribe called quest[/b]....or de la soul[/b].

Yeah & don't those overated emos suck hard... Ha!

• Its almost exclusively hip hop head into Atmosphere in Europe. I???d heard about all the girls that turn up to see Slug and though I???d be surrounded by French honeys at the gig in Paris, disappointingly there was hardly a girl in the house just dudes actin moody in hoodies.

• I celebrate their entire catalog. So hate me. First time I saw slug was on the overcast tour a few years bacl. like 4 or 5 years ago i cant even remember. But it was in a cafeteria in maryland and only 7 people came. Then the last 2 years hes came to 9 30 club in dc its been sold out. last time was kinda weak as he had that band with him. Mr. Dibbs was killin it the last time he was with him. fuck some jam band shit. And yes there was mad fine girls at the show.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    It was OK. Growing up just south of Minneapolis I've heard my share of Atmosphere over the years.

The show was whatever. Though I will say that for "live-hip-hop" they did a decent job.

I'm to the point now where the only reason I go to his shows is to chat with the underage girls. Which were in abundance as usual.

That's about all they do for me at this point.

• quick clarification...
    I'm an atmosphere fan, and I think the new LP is Fire..

It's the show I have issue with, they were really on some Jam Band ish

BTW - Vt heads... I'm on WWPV (88.7) Right now
    Playing some "my brain is fried from over use" Jazz
    Hip Hop sample tracks and the Like...

• Also, Ant came on stage and rocked the tables for the "hip Hop" section
    which I understand is a bit of a rareity

That was cool...

And Blueprint is the shit

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

I'm to the point now where the only reason I go to his shows is to chat with the underage girls. Which were in abundance as usual.

i definately know and cosign this deal ???

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

And Blueprint is the shit