Vernon Burch, whats his good shit?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
so after seeing his titles in bins everywhere for years I finally grabbed copies of :

Burch, Vernon Steppin' Out Chocolate City 1980
Burch, Vernon Playing Hard To Get SRI 1982
Burch, Vernon Get Up Chocolate City 1979[/b]

and liked them. I've heard other folks say that he's got some absolute gabage out threre. Is there any other worthwhile titles from him?

Comments

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    I got his "I'll Be Your Sunshine" (UA) from '75, 3 weeks ago. "Give Love a try" is great, I haven't listened too much to it yet, there are two other tracks that might be good, i'm not sure. But "Give love a try" is recommended from me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Ok so just to clarify

"I'll Be Your Sunshine" -

"Give Love A Try" -

what year is Give Love a try from?

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Ok so just to clarify

"I'll Be Your Sunshine" -

"Give Love A Try" -

what year is Give Love a try from?

Vernon Burch "I'll Be Your Sunshine" LP (UA 1975) contains the track "Give Love A Try". I always mess up when I'm trying to explain myself in English eventhough I think it sounds perfect.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    The song "Get Up" from the album of the same name is pretty good. It's one of the things sampled for "Groove Is In The Heart" by Deee-Lite.

I'm also currently selling a 12" of his that's a decent song named "Do It To Me" and it's from 1981 and sounds influenced by Zapp & Roger. There's a soundclip of it here:

http://home.insightbb.com/~mcardle.j/ebay/burch/doit.mp3

That's about all I know of Vernon Burch.

• "Frame of mind" is the joint for me. Fantastic rare groove track. Got it in a spanish 45.

• "Do It To Me" is a cool lil' vocoder snap although it goes nowhere after breaking into the set...

• Oh btw, I've always found Burch to have one or two things per record but kind of spotty on the full album listening tip.

• I think you bought his 3 all time best lp's.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The song "Get Up" from the album of the same name is pretty good. It's one of the things sampled for "Groove Is In The Heart" by Deee-Lite.

Word, that's only Vernon record I have and I pretty much play it during the funk and disco sets, Guzzo the track itself itself "modern soul" at all.