How come when I double click desktop icons....

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
they dont open. I have to right click..then select open file or whatever. Shit is driving me crazy. I did a google search but didnt really come up with any reason why. Anyone have a clue??

Comments

• Cause your computer is completely fucked up.

...if it's what i had.

My problem started that EXACT same way. Then eventually I couldn't open shit unless i right clicked at hit explore.

It was so fucked.. and that was really the only problem, but it couldn't be fixed, and I had to buy a new cpu.

I'd start backing shit up now if you have anything you want to save.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you could have a virus or something or your mouse just could be bad.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ or try a different mouse

• well it is actually my mothers PC that has this problem..not mine(luckily..for me). I suspected it might be a virus. She DLs all type of BS so who the hell knows. thanks for the replies.

• Just curious and not being a smartass..

Exactly what kind of stuff do moms download?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Just curious and not being a smartass..

Cutesy desktop themes.

• For starters run windows anti spyware and ad-aware. There's a free personal version.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

• BE CAREFUL WITH THAT LAVASOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WILL DELETE STUFF YOU NEED TO RUN YOUR CPU! THAT RUINED MY CPU EVEN MORE!

• BE CAREFUL WITH THAT LAVASOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WILL DELETE STUFF YOU NEED TO RUN YOUR CPU! THAT RUINED MY CPU EVEN MORE!

well there IS FAQ's and stuff, you gotta check into that stuff before you just go nuking programs on your desktop.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    For starters buy a macintosh.

Not hating. I'm experienced on both platforms and speaking from experience.
    PC's are fine for what they are but thank god we have a choice (for now).

• Just curious and not being a smartass..

dumb shit that moms are into I guess...aol,yahoo,scrabble,probably other shit that she aint need. not really sure

• um, when that happens to me, i usually just have to click ctrt, shift, and/or alt a bunch of times, because its usually just a stuck key error, causing clicks on the mouse to not act as they usually would. also check to see if the keyboard or mouse plug is loose. worst case scenario is that you need a new keyboard or mouse...

its funny how everytime something goes wrong with a computer, everyone assumes its because of a virus, when really, its something much more simple than that. dont believe everything you see on the nightly news folks.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    um, when that happens to me, i usually just have to click ctrt, shift, and/or alt a bunch of times, because its usually just a stuck key error, causing clicks on the mouse to not act as they usually would.

beat me to it. even if they dont look stuck (which they most likely wont) try it anyway, its a mystery but this ALWAYS solved the problem for me.

• cool, I will give it a try. thanks!

• Check your mouse settings in the Control Panel. You can change what the buttons do, and how fast they do it...

• i think i have a virus too. my adaware, spybot and norton are all updated but theyre still not helping me out. it wont let me check my email with yahoo and hotmail. i was getting that doubleclick thing for awhile too.

• i think i have a virus too. my adaware, spybot and norton are all updated but theyre still not helping me out. it wont let me check my email with yahoo and hotmail. i was getting that doubleclick thing for awhile too.

be careful, some of those programs block things that you normaly can do without them. for example, if your version of norton has the internet security program with it, it might block certain web programs/locations because they're "suspicious".