Plaese to Post Your Favorite Japanese Girl Names

13»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

I don't know what's wrong with DOR's question. I would have like to have seen O- Dub answer. I have a jewish name & I don't use it because it sounds old & kinda biblical. Culturally, it has little relevance to me. It would be interesting to hear another person's perspective, especially since we all share different cultural & religious backrounds. Simply calling a question "Dumb shit" leaves for little illumination. Maybe its a dumb question to you because you only have one name & so its redundant?

peace

h

He wasn't calling that part of my comment "dumb shit". It was directed at the useless cat info that followed (Which may or may not warranted the dumb shit comment, but whatever). To be honest, I wasn't trying to question him or anything like that. Just tryin' to understand his point better.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Anyways, here's Maisy[/b]!!

and we found out today she's got a bit of a nasty side!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The "dumb shit" I was referring to was trying to come up with some counter example that makes little sense at all. I'm not trying to bust on DOR that hard about it, but seriously, if anyone wants to say, "Oliver, chill" that's perfectly fine. But don't try to come at me with some counter example about, "well, do you have a Western name and a Chinese name?" as if the two have anything to do with one another.

So let me restate this because obviously some of you aren't listening:

IT IS KIND OF PROBLEMATIC - TO ME AT LEAST - TO INQUIRE ABOUT JAPANESE GIRL NAMES IN ORDER TO FIND SOMETHING CUTE TO NAME YOUR CAT.

I don't need to explain that statement any more than I already have - or as others have backed me up on. What's annoying me now is that some people are trying to be apologists by offering up wholly irrelevant counter examples. DOR was asking me how this is any different from how I have both a Western name and a Chinese name and simply put: I'M NOT A FUCKING CAT, ergo his line of questioning has nothing to do with my original objection.
    That doesn't require edumacation to figure out. The two are apples and kumquats.

I still think you are reaching in a big way. I am not disrespecting you in any way when I say this (though you might take it that way) but do you have a Chinese name? Why do you continue to use a "western" name if you do (which happens to be used by probably hundreds of thousands of pets around the world)?

Yo - if you want to say I'm reaching that's really fine. But everything else you write after that point is dumb shit. Seriously.

It was just a comment. I wasn't trying to disrespect you in anyways. And I'm not saying I disagree with you or saying your wrong for that matter. While, sure the thing I wrote after was nothing to do with the topic, it was just a side thought and probably not necessary, but thx for the "dumb shit" deal.

But after all, you are way more edumacted than I. I will not ask anything further.

My bad.

I don't know what's wrong with DOR's question. I would have like to have seen O- Dub answer. I have a jewish name & I don't use it because it sounds old & kinda biblical. Culturally, it has little relevance to me. It would be interesting to hear another person's perspective, especially since we all share different cultural & religious backrounds. Simply calling a question "Dumb shit" leaves for little illumination. Maybe its a dumb question to you because you only have one name & so its redundant?

peace

h

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    any of ya'll name your cats or your kids or whatever with any kind of asian name just be sure to know how to pronounce that properly

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my pal had a japanese girlfriend named asami.
    i like that name, although my friends hard of hearing new jersey grandmother always called her "salami".

• what is faux doin at your crib with your cat?

• IT IS KIND OF PROBLEMATIC - TO ME AT LEAST - TO INQUIRE ABOUT JAPANESE GIRL NAMES IN ORDER TO FIND SOMETHING CUTE TO NAME YOUR CAT.

Oliver would it be different if it were a parrot? Or if someone asked for an African name for their guinea pig? Is it merely because cats are cute, and so are Japanese women, and therefore it is a fitting name? Would a pug named Kimiko be any different? Or a german sheppard named Kaname? What if I wanted to name my fish according to suras of the Quran. I guess I'm trying to indentify if this is specific to Japanese, and to cats.

I don't racialize everything like you do so I fail to see the offense in this at all, but I respect your desire to talk about it.

• Is it that ODub is reading too much into this (I say no) or that what he???s saying rings true on how Western folks (men) view Japanese women and the culture and that makes some uncomfortable (file under: the truth hurts)? And the way to deal with that discomfort is to make ODub the villain?

I agree and it does look like this. I feel what Odub is saying too. It looks suspect, but I don't think it was the case in this thread. Fact is, Japanese names sound nice to many, and they wanted to name their cat. It's not like a disrespect to Japanese women in any way. I don't know, but I imagine, in Japan there are many cats with human names. I could be wrong.

I've seen some crazy scary threads at Soulstrut when it comes to Japanese girls, but this isn't one of them.

{edit:} I haven't really read this thread and I'm on crazy pain medication. I should keep my dumb mouth shut.

The "dumb shit" I was referring to was trying to come up with some counter example that makes little sense at all. I'm not trying to bust on DOR that hard about it, but seriously, if anyone wants to say, "Oliver, chill" that's perfectly fine. But don't try to come at me with some counter example about, "well, do you have a Western name and a Chinese name?" as if the two have anything to do with one another.

So let me restate this because obviously some of you aren't listening:

IT IS KIND OF PROBLEMATIC - TO ME AT LEAST - TO INQUIRE ABOUT JAPANESE GIRL NAMES IN ORDER TO FIND SOMETHING CUTE TO NAME YOUR CAT.

I don't need to explain that statement any more than I already have - or as others have backed me up on. What's annoying me now is that some people are trying to be apologists by offering up wholly irrelevant counter examples. DOR was asking me how this is any different from how I have both a Western name and a Chinese name and simply put: I'M NOT A FUCKING CAT, ergo his line of questioning has nothing to do with my original objection.
    That doesn't require edumacation to figure out. The two are apples and kumquats.

This is my mistake... I should have written things much clearer on that post. I had two totally different questions/comments and I should have put it as such.

I had wrote out what I was really getting at, but I have decided to let it go and not ask questions.

I don't really think Oliver cares what anyone names their cat. I think it's really a much bigger issue for him. More power to him all the same.

And I totally agree with Brian

just be sure to know how to pronounce that properly

Is it that ODub is reading too much into this (I say no) or that what he???s saying rings true on how Western folks (men) view Japanese women and the culture and that makes some uncomfortable (file under: the truth hurts)? And the way to deal with that discomfort is to make ODub the villain?

And I was in no way trying to make ODub the villain. Views on Japanese women is not something that is exclusively a "white" man deal. Though, I probably shouldn't talk, since I've never dated one or am not married to one...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    JP,

I don't expect folks to agree with me. But just to humor your question, if it were parrots and African names, yeah, that'd be kind of problematic too.

I'm just saying: it's one thing if you're trolling for pet names and just want suggestions. But when you're being ethno-specific about it...that's just weird even if your intentions are harmless.

• What if the parrot were named after an African Jazz musician?

• "Oliver, chill"