AWB is far beyond average

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I saw AWB at a lobster fest in Santa Cruz last night. Those guys kick ass. Hammish is the man.If anyone ever gets a chance to see these guys, I would highly recommend doing so.

Comments

• awallawall 673 Posts
    you live in santa cruz?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This is a group that is extremely underrated. Why? Because they are white and they are Scottish.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    you live in santa cruz?

Hayward actually. 'Bout an hour drive.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    you live in santa cruz?

Hayward actually. 'Bout an hour drive.

oh, word. i live in santa cruz in the flats.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    were the fuck was lobster fest?

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

I picked this one up recently for a buck. This is the type of record you tend only to buy when you're beginning digging. Side B is full of great funky soul cuts. Still no fan of "Schoolboy Crush" though.

• I used to live in the flats. I fought some Surrenos, sold and did some dope, saved a prostitute, and beat up a pimp. Say some crazy shit. Gang rumbles, stabbings, shootings, etc. Then when I cleaned up my act I worked with the youth. This was back in the mid nineties. Is it still shady or did they clean it up? Not as bad as SFM but close.

BTW, I inherited a gang of AWB records from my moms.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    I used to live in the flats. I fought some Surrenos, sold and did some dope, saved a prostitute, and beat up a pimp. Say some crazy shit. Gang rumbles, stabbings, shootings, etc. Then when I cleaned up my act I worked with the youth. This was back in the mid nineties. Is it still shady or did they clean it up? Not as bad as SFM but close.

about 5 or 6 years ago the city made a effort to clean it up (apparently the year before the decided to do so 6 out of the 7 murders in santa cruz were on bixby street, where I lived a couple years ago) and it's improved a little. it's still the fucking ghetto though, projects and whatnot. i've seen a ton of crazy shit go down. when i lived on bixby there used to be this crazy rasta guy named jojo (not making this up) who used to come into our house through the backdoor if it was unlocked, ask for money/weed/booze, and call everyone "rasta." one exchange with him my housemate went like this:
    jojo: "heeey rasta...can I kill you?"
    my friend, terrified: "Umm...no jojo. no."
    jojo: "okay, will you kill me?"

• Wow, I used to live on Canfield, a block from Bixby. One night we were watching cops and they were busting a bunch of the hustler kids that sell drugs outside my place. I actually looked out there, as if it were live. LOL I lived over the levey in the real flats too. Strange but good memories. When ever I hear 'hurricane' by the Click, i think of those days. That song was big at the time.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    This is a group that is extremely underrated. Why? Because they are white and they are Scottish.

AWB is a GREAT soul group. I agree, Raj, extremely underrated. That "Soul Searching" lp was so crazy when it came out... I remember my older brother and sister playing that record to death. They had the hard funk joints (their 1st lp in particular), plus the disco-funk dance joints, PLUS the smooth jams. "Love Of Your Own" is a CLASSIC old school slow joint, one of the baddest from that era.

[color:blue]TOP TEN FAVORITE AWB JOINTS OF ALL TIME (in no particular order):[/color][/b]

1. Love Of Your Own
    2. Schoolboy Crush
    3. Person To Person
    4. If I Ever Lose This Heaven
    5. Pick Up The Pieces
    6. T.L.C.
    7. Soul Searching
    8. Sunny Days
    9. Work To Do
    10. Love Your Life

Honorable mention- Jugglers, A Star In The Ghetto & also some stuff from later albums like Feel No Fret, Warmer Communications and Shine

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Wow, I used to live on Canfield, a block from Bixby. One night we were watching cops and they were busting a bunch of the hustler kids that sell drugs outside my place. I actually looked out there, as if it were live. LOL I lived over the levey in the real flats too. Strange but good memories. When ever I hear 'hurricane' by the Click, i think of those days. That song was big at the time.

yeah i've seen plenty of drug busts. cops used to routinely lock the whole street down to keep dudes from bolting. shit seems to have mellowed out a bit this year though...but then again i've only been back here for a few weeks.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hammish is the man.

Trivia:[/b] He also played with Paul McCartney for a number of years (maybe still?). I've seen several taped McCartney concerts where Stuart's curly mug was working the axe.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts

"Get it up for Love"

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    were the fuck was lobster fest?

Aptos village.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

i have this DVD and it sucks....

too bad because i love AWB......

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Werd... In the past year or so I've been getting rid of records by the crate, some I just don't play out and others that are real common - and I've kept ALL my AWB lp's - their shit doesn't get old and was an early source of shit I sampled from. Person to Person is dope but I agree with Phil on the "Soul Searchin" LP - fan-fuggin-tastic... "I'm the one" is the dank!

Shit, to top it off my first mixcd was titled "Soul Searchin".....

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Werd... In the past year or so I've been getting rid of records by the crate, some I just don't play out and others that are real common - and I've kept ALL my AWB lp's - their shit doesn't get old and was an early source of shit I sampled from. Person to Person is dope but I agree with Phil on the "Soul Searchin" LP - fan-fuggin-tastic... "I'm the one" is the dank!

Shit, to top it off my first mixcd was titled "Soul Searchin".....

oh yesssssss. "Im the One" is the cut." and "Love of Your Own" is one of my top 10 slow jams. people are sleeping on that one.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I used to live in the flats. I fought some Surrenos, sold and did some dope, saved a prostitute, and beat up a pimp.