HAPPY INDIGENOUS PEOPLES DAY

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central

When will the racist lie that is Columbus Day end. Genocide and slavery are not things to celebrate.

ABOLISH COLUMBUS DAY

Comments

• tiptoetiptoe 57 Posts
    ban

• ban

Ban yourself.

Seriously though, what?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

When will the racist lie that is Columbus Day end. Genocide and slavery are not things to celebrate.

ABOLISH COLUMBUS DAY

I agree - do you you think you could make the same arguement for Christmas?

• We Don't Want No Columbus Day! Hay Hay Ho Ho

Dude everyone knows Columbus day is lame thats why no one celebrates it. Except in Italian Neighborhoods where the knights of columbus hold it down.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    While I agree I also disagree. Conquering has been the model for civilization since day one. Welcome to life on Earth.

• Post deleted by taza_one

• I agree - do you you think you could make the same arguement for Christmas?

I'm game.

I don't celebrate it anyway, even though i was raised christian. It's a consumer feeding frenzy. Christmas, POPPYCOCK!!!!

I do like getting family together, we celebrate new years day.

Now back to today. [

• While I agree I also disagree. Conquering has been the model for civilization since day one. Welcome to life on Earth.

This is true but we wouldn't celebrate slavery day would we?

no, we would not. The only thing about the man being celbrated is his "discovery" of the new world. Aside from the Vikings he was the first European on the scene. That is a fact, whetehre it is something to be celebrated or not remains debatable. And as for slavery, what well off person who lived in the 1400's didn't have slaves? Or indentured servents. History isn't a pretty place but it still exists and while people may have had reprehenseble things going on there klives it does not negate their acomplishments. Michael Jackson is still one of the greated pop/r&b performers ever even though he is a crazy pedophile.

• Well he introduced slavery to the new world since the Spanish were uncofotable with enslaving the Tainos.

He didn't discover shit. He thought he was in India.

I though Amerigo despucci reached the new world befor Columbus anyway. What's up wit dat?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• Well he introduced slavery to the new world since the Spanish were uncofotable with enslaving the Tainos.

I though Amerigo despucci reached the new world befor Columbus anyway. What's up wit dat?

VESPUCCI[/b]...and no, he didn't get there first...

Well into his forties, around 1495, Vespucci became the director of a ship company that supplied ships for long voyages. This was the first opportunity Vespucci had to make voyages and he was very happy about this, therefore he was only looking for "new worlds" to discover and not money or rewards for finding exotic places. In 1497 Vespucci said that he went on a voyage to the "New World." Little is known about this because there was not much evidence to support that he actually made this voyage such as: journals, maps they used, or any crew members journals about what happened. He was said to be back in 1498. Later on down the road, after this journey was said to take place people began to doubt this and Columbus became known as the founder of the "New World" even though he thought he was in India.

In 1499 Vespucci was said to have made his second voyage with Alonso de Ojeda as the captain. This voyage could be backed by a great deal of evidence and is supposed to have occurred. The watchman finally did spot land, the Cape Verde Islands, and this is the first time anyone has been purposely to the "New World."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    maybe it shouldn't a holiday today in anyones favor. We all know Columbus didn't discover shit, and the idea of an indigenous peoples day reeks of racial bravado.

do we have black peoples day? or korean peoples day? I know a black korean dude who discovered my front door last week, I let him in but didn't give him the keys to the house

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i hear you taza.i'm chicano +apache.dudes need to recognize the racism that's inherent in this system.
    i went to college at the american indian art institute in santa fe,and every columbus day students would get buck downtown + burn a flag.

• VESPUCCI...and no, he didn't get there first...

Haha thanks. Intersting stuff. See what you can learn at SoulStrut. Smart peoples.

• do we have black peoples day?

No but we have black history month[/b]

I know a black korean dude who discovered my front door last week, I let him in but didn't give him the keys to the house

Did he think he was at someone elses house? Otherwise it wouldn't be relevant.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I know a black korean dude who discovered my front door last week, I let him in but didn't give him the keys to the house

Did he think he was at someone elses house? Otherwise it wouldn't be relevant.
    yeah thats kind of my point with Columbus day. In light of historical fact it's not a relevant holiday. I've always thought of the whole Columbas thing as more him finding a new place he and other Europeans (Vikings withstanding) had not seen before.

But just to make it clear, I think the whole idea of having a holiday celebrating a mistake is pretty damn stupid.

• no, we would not. The only thing about the man being celbrated is his "discovery" of the new world. Aside from the Vikings he was the first European on the scene. That is a fact, whetehre it is something to be celebrated or not remains debatable. And as for slavery, what well off person who lived in the 1400's didn't have slaves? Or indentured servents. History isn't a pretty place but it still exists and while people may have had reprehenseble things going on there klives it does not negate their acomplishments. Michael Jackson is still one of the greated pop/r&b performers ever even though he is a crazy pedophile.

Actually he first landed in the caribbean islands and thought it was india because of all them 'darkies' which is why it's called the West Indies, and the term Indians.

Amerigo Vespucci 'discovered'named the US, hence 'America'

• While I agree I also disagree. Conquering has been the model for civilization since day one. Welcome to life on Earth.

that's some kind of crazy fatalism. there are many instances in human history where people have been kind and or generous not conquering. think of a family. raising a child is an instance of almost complete unselfishness. why not celebrate shit that doesn't have so many negatives attached to it ? i understand myths but columbus was responsible for thousands of people dying.

fuck columbus.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Personally, I think the reason why this 'holiday' is still being celebrated is based in money. Look at how many sales are poppin' off today. It's like that with all holidays. Just another clever way to get folks to spend....
    Oh yeah, cosign Dave....FUCK COLUMBUS.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I recommend everyone read this book

and yes, FUCK COLUMBUS.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Where's Vitamin?

He came dancing across the water

With his galleons and guns

Looking for the new world

In that palace in the sun.

On the shore lay Montezuma

With his coca leaves and pearls

In his halls he often wondered

With the secrets of the worlds.

And his subjects

gathered 'round him

Like the leaves around a tree

In their clothes of many colors

For the angry gods to see.

And the women all were beautiful

And the men stood

straight and strong

They offered life in sacrifice

So that others could go on.

Hate was just a legend

And war was never known

The people worked together

And they lifted many stones.

They carried them

to the flatlands

And they died along the way

But they built up

with their bare hands

What we still can't do today.

And I know she's living there

And she loves me to this day

I still can't remember when

Or how I lost my way.

He came dancing across the water

Cortez, Cortez

What a killer.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Where's Vitamin?
    Somewhere channeling the anger of the indigenous people...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Where's Vitamin?
    Somewhere channeling the anger of the indigenous people...

i figured as much.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Personally, I think the reason why this 'holiday' is still being celebrated is based in money. Look at how many sales are poppin' off today. It's like that with all holidays. Just another clever way to get folks to spend....
    Oh yeah, cosign Dave....FUCK COLUMBUS.
    Yeah and these fuckrods didn't deliver the mail today in honor of ol' Chris...and I'm waiting for a beat for the compilation...so one could accurately say that Columbus is oppressing the production of our compilation! Since the album will ultimately benefit less privileged folks in New Orleans/Mississippi, it's like the oppression can't and won't stop from this guy...real ass-hole...I wouldn't even smoke with this Columbus guy--he'd make me feel like my lungs were being colonized...okay, rant over...need to chill...

• i'm playing this in honor of the "holiday"

Best Niel Young song ever...