whoa - problem here (electricity related)

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
my room has 3 different outlets, each with 2 individual outlets. a bulb had gone out, so i replaced it with a new one. as soon as i clicked on the light, it blew out, and at the same time my computer shut off, and another outlet w/ a tv & vcr hooked up to it, also blew out. but one outlet in my room, with a couple lamps hooked up to it, still works. the fuck did i do here, and how can i fix it? i'm guessing i blew out a circuit or something? but oddly enough, only my computer was on, so i don't see how it could've been an overload... anyone know about this shit? i'm clueless.

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Time to start flippin switches.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Maybe just a blown fuse? Unhook your electronics and computer and try again. Hope your stuff was on a surge protector.

• Maybe just a blown fuse? Unhook your electronics and computer and try again. Hope your stuff was on a surge protector.
    thanks, but i tried that and it didn't work. half the room is without electricity right now. the important half!

Do you have access to the circuit box?

• Do you have access to the circuit box?
    yes, but i'm clueless as to what to look for, or how to fix it.

Look for a switch that's been flipped (to the opposite side of the other switches in that row) and flip it back.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Look for a switch that's been flipped (to the opposite side of the other switches in that row) and flip it back.

If your house is old like mine you might actually have fuses you have to remove and replace. Just look at the wire inside the fuse and if it's burnt/black or broken you need a new one.

• thanks peoples, i appreciate it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    my room has 3 different outlets, each with 2 individual outlets. a bulb had gone out, so i replaced it with a new one. as soon as i clicked on the light, it blew out, and at the same time my computer shut off, and another outlet w/ a tv & vcr hooked up to it, also blew out. but one outlet in my room, with a couple lamps hooked up to it, still works. the fuck did i do here, and how can i fix it? i'm guessing i blew out a circuit or something? but oddly enough, only my computer was on, so i don't see how it could've been an overload... anyone know about this shit? i'm clueless.

has anything like this happened before?

how long have you lived here?

the Help Desk closes in :58 minutes dude (Bartolo time)

if you haven't solved your problem yet hollerate before 5pm PST

• my room has 3 different outlets, each with 2 individual outlets. a bulb had gone out, so i replaced it with a new one. as soon as i clicked on the light, it blew out, and at the same time my computer shut off, and another outlet w/ a tv & vcr hooked up to it, also blew out. but one outlet in my room, with a couple lamps hooked up to it, still works. the fuck did i do here, and how can i fix it? i'm guessing i blew out a circuit or something? but oddly enough, only my computer was on, so i don't see how it could've been an overload... anyone know about this shit? i'm clueless.

lived here for 10 years, never happened before. there were times where my computer would be on, along with my mpc, tv, lamp, guitar amp. this time, just my computer was on, and as soon as i flicked on the light switch, it all shut off. i also checked the fuse box, nothing was out of order.

nevermind, i'm back online. just had to reset the circuit breakers. thanks a lot though, fellas.

lived here for 10 years, never happened before. there were times where my computer would be on, along with my mpc, tv, lamp, guitar amp. this time, just my computer was on, and as soon as i flicked on the light switch, it all shut off. i also checked the fuse box, nothing was out of order.

apparently the light bulb was faulty or the lamp shorted out for whatever reason (probably why the light bulb blew out the 1st time).....the surge caused backfeed in the lamp circuit and when the load power "went back" to the outlet the backfeed(from the line power) caused a flash automatically shutting down electricity at the nearest outlets (conduit type shit)....blah...blah...blah.....if it happens again i'd assume you have an A base meter and newer electronics (post 80's) are too strong to be carried by an A Base meter in a typical sized home these days....blah...blah...blah...blah...blah

• lived here for 10 years, never happened before. there were times where my computer would be on, along with my mpc, tv, lamp, guitar amp. this time, just my computer was on, and as soon as i flicked on the light switch, it all shut off. i also checked the fuse box, nothing was out of order.
    apparently the light bulb was faulty or the lamp shorted out for whatever reason (probably why the light bulb blew out the 1st time).....the surge caused backfeed in the lamp circuit and when the load power "went back" to the outlet the backfeed(from the line power) caused a flash automatically shutting down electricity at the nearest outlets (conduit type shit)....blah...blah...blah.....if it happens again i'd assume you have an A base meter and newer electronics (post 80's) are too strong to be carried by an A Base meter in a typical sized home these days....blah...blah...blah...blah...blah thanks, family. i tried to upgrade my 60 watt bulb to a 75, and that's when it blew out lol. back to the 60's...