Favorite Falsettos

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Name some of your favorites....... Billy Griffin is killin' me right now.Also..... Russell Thompkins JR.is all-time for me.

Comments

• Al Green
    Eddie Holman
    J.R. Bailey
    Dorando

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    one of my fav pics of one of my fav falsettos

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Oh Yeah......

Bobby DeBarge is bananas!!!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• Cedric Myton =

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Absolutely! These would be some of my other obvious-but-favorite choices:

• Sam Carty

• Um...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yeah, Smokey is really the first name in falsetto soul. Curtis, of course, Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr, Derrick Harriott, the motherfuckingWhatnauts, Moments, Billy Paul at times, Earth, Wind & Fire in parts, and I'm just naming all the obvious shit, but IT'S SO GOOD. The Delfonics, althought I keep picking up and putting back their "Alive & Kicking" album, because unlike "La La Means..." the vocals on "Kicking" are TOO sweet. Almost like someone is sticking a Q-Tip caked with sugar into my ear. I didn't think I'd find anything too sweet, but I now know that it is possible.

And just so ya'll know where I got my thumbs-up for quality from:

IMG SRC="http://www.emediawire.com/prfiles/2005/03/30/223775/skthumbup.jpg" width=450>

• This LP is

Yeah, Smokey is really the first name in falsetto soul.

cosign..............but i wonder if there were any precursers?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Umm...

Eddie Kendricks..............

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

This LP is

That cover is ill.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some of mine:

Some of Claude Jeter's best work was with the Swan Silvertones (their 50s and 60s stuff is legendary). Two other favorite falsettos of mine are Paul Beasley of the Gospel Keynotes (check their 70s LPs) and Charles McClain of the Gospelaires of Dayton, Ohio (the 70s era stuff is best). McClain later joined the Gospel Keynotes during a stint where Beasley left the group (only to later return). Gospel music has produced some of the sweetest-singing falsettos.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

If you're gonna run an unfamiliar photo of Prince (OR ANYBODY ELSE, NOW THAT I'VE READ THE REST OF THE THREAD), you could at least IDENTIFY it, man! I wouldn't-a caught on myself if it hadn't been for the credit line that turns up when I hit the "quote" icon...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Yeah, Smokey is really the first name in falsetto soul.

cosign..............but i wonder if there were any precursers?

Oh, hell yes...

Now here's some other cool falsettos worth mentioning:

I don't recall offhand which Osborne sang the high harmonies, but damn if he didn't nail it...

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    If you're gonna run an unfamiliar photo of Prince (OR ANYBODY ELSE, NOW THAT I'VE READ THE REST OF THE THREAD), you could at least IDENTIFY it, man! I wouldn't-a caught on myself if it hadn't been for the credit line that turns up when I hit the "quote" icon...

haha my fault, i didnt even think about that.