MF Doom billboard in San Francisco

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    It may not be the best release, but why all the hate on their cross promotional tactics? Its a pretty smart idea considering all the cartoon/comic references DOOM uses. I mean it got all of us talking about it months after it dropped? Got them billboard placement, bus stop bench placement...

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Although I dig this LP, Doom seems to have absolutely no discrimination regarding who or what he works with (ie. last year's barrage of half-assed Doom projects) He's seriously risking overexposure at this point. I love dude, but c'mon, does he have to do a full album with every indy hip hop label in existance? Shit is becoming tired to me.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    by the way, Dangermouse has a longstanding relationship with Cartoon Network, he was making beats for them before any of you pansies had even heard of him, so it's not some sell-out shit, they support his wacky ideas and I think that is cool.

ATHF rules!

that is all...............

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Although I dig this LP, Doom seems to have absolutely no discrimination regarding who or what he works with (ie. last year's barrage of half-assed Doom projects) He's seriously risking overexposure at this point. I love dude, but c'mon, does he have to do a full album with every indy hip hop label in existance? Shit is becoming tired to me.

Co-siggle

I also think Adult Swim/Cartoon Network are pretty tired too

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I also think Adult Swim/Cartoon Network are pretty tired too

BAN

j/k

Sorry, I've been getting into Robot Chicken for some reason lately. ATHF needs new episodes.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    by the way, Dangermouse has a longstanding relationship with Cartoon Network, he was making beats for them before any of you pansies had even heard of him, so it's not some sell-out shit, they support his wacky ideas and I think that is cool.

ATHF rules!

just sayin.

• ATHF rules! BITCHES!!!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

just sayin.

EARLY sealab, anyway...post captain murphy, hell even before he passed away, the show started getting reeeally shitty.

early episodes are pure comedy though.

• It???s a decent album.
    I was mad sceptical as I???m as fed up with half baked Doom releases as the next man, but this is some good shit???its just some good old hip hop.

That said I must admit to being completely clueless about ???Adult Swim??? I have no idea what you guys are on about.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

ATHF rules!

ATHF rules, indeed. it just sets a dangerous precedent. Are the beatnuts gonna do an album with Carlos Mencia now? Is Samurai Jack gonna show up on the next DJ Krush album? where does this shit stop? it's bad enough when i hear ads for Cristal, Hummers, and Grey Goose in mainstream rap. now we gotta hear commercials shoehorned into an MF Doom album?

i maintain that this is

• ATHF rules! BITCHES!!!

Also that new show Stroker and .... don't remember his name. Shit is funny as hell. The beats Danger Doom did for Cartoon Network are pretty dope IMO. I didn't even know this album had already came out though. Even after watching ATHF every night.

Oh ya. I think MF Doom is overrated. People are checking for Operation: Doomsday like crazy. I sold my CD while the hype is there. Also sold like 4 sealed copies of that junk. I used to be a fan until he started putting out mad filler albums.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    back to the billboard - can someone take a pic and uppp it !?!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Sorry, I've been getting into Robot Chicken for some reason lately.

sorry but robot chicken is terrible horrible no good very bad urban outfitters 'remember watching transformers? that's funny that we both remember that' humor.

athf and sealab were cool concepts, but wore thin on me real quick. i know all the futuramas by heart and i never liked family guy or any of the anime shit (except fooley cooley, but that's only like five episodes). what i'm saying is adult swim needs some new ventures and tom goes to the mayor stat.

boondocks should be interesting, i was a fan of that strip before it became a political vehicle for mcgruder & co. i'm hoping the cartoon will return to the character driven nature of the early cartoons. i liked it more when it's a "black peanuts" than the "black doonsbury" it's become.

dino stamatopoulos (stiller show, mr. show, tv funhouse) is also putting together a davey & goliath knock off, moral orel for adult swim, which should be pretty nice given his track record.

ATHF rules, indeed. it just sets a dangerous precedent. Are the beatnuts gonna do an album with Carlos Mencia now? Is Samurai Jack gonna show up on the next DJ Krush album? where does this shit stop? it's bad enough when i hear ads for Cristal, Hummers, and Grey Goose in mainstream rap. now we gotta hear commercials shoehorned into an MF Doom album?

yeah because MF Doom never dropped a brand name before this album. come on dude.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

yeah because MF Doom never dropped a brand name before this album. come on dude.

allright fine. but it doesn't change the fact that this makes MF Doom into a marketing tool. His whole sampling-cartoons-and-crazy-stuff style has been co-opted and packaged. I'm not even a Doom fanatic but still doesn't sit well with me.

• you know what i think?
    i think some people(alot of them are on this board) can't be happy unless they have something to complain about.

allright fine. but it doesn't change the fact that this makes MF Doom into a marketing tool. His whole sampling-cartoons-and-crazy-stuff style has been co-opted and packaged. I'm not even a Doom fanatic but still doesn't sit well with me.

it's not like he had no say in this.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    you know what i think?
    i think some people(alot of them are on this board) can't be happy unless they have something to complain about.
    COSIGN!!

• on a side note - has anyone heard the Doom & RZA collab? Definately the worst Doom verse I've ever heard over a rather boring beat. It really sounds like he did it in one take.

I'm a big Doom fan and all, but he needs to take a break for at least a week. Maybe a little less than 34 albums a year would allow him to not spread himself too thin.

btw-
    Operation Doomsday is still his best - the only people that don't think so are the ones who discovered him a year or two ago.

• by the way, Dangermouse has a longstanding relationship with Cartoon Network, he was making beats for them before any of you pansies had even heard of him, so it's not some sell-out shit, they support his wacky ideas and I think that is cool.

WORD! He's been shitty since the essense!

Alright, I wanna hear the "T.R.O.Y." of his catalog. Like if there's was one DM track that would turn a hatter in a lover what would it be?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

I'm a big Doom fan and all, but he needs to take a break for at least a week. Maybe a little less than 34 albums a year would allow him to not spread himself too thin.

true words

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

boondocks should be interesting, i was a fan of that strip before it became a political vehicle for mcgruder & co. i'm hoping the cartoon will return to the character driven nature of the early cartoons. i liked it more when it's a "black peanuts" than the "black doonsbury" it's become.

You know what? I was a fan of the Boondocks, too, when it first came out--even had the first book compiling the initial run of strips. Then I revisited that book about two years ago and was like "This schitt is not funny at all."

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Alright, I wanna hear the "T.R.O.Y." of his catalog. Like if there's was one DM track that would turn a hatter in a lover what would it be?

The "What You Sittin' On" Remix w/ Ceelo is dope.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    heard DangerDoom and few times this weekend and I really like it. most solid full-length since ghostface IMO. but i do have to say that violins in rap is not a sound i enjoy. even the jay dee fuck the police sample OG drives me nuts.

heard DangerDoom and few times this weekend and I really like it. most solid full-length since ghostface IMO. but i do have to say that violins in rap is not a sound i enjoy. even the jay dee fuck the police sample OG drives me nuts.

that's a flute

that's a flute

on which record?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

this thread is two pages long and still no photo of the damn ad, lay it on us already.

i realize the snippet in fuck the police is a flute but the whole song goes into a violin freak-out which is what i was refering to. still not sure if that's what you were talking about though.

i realize the snippet in fuck the police is a flute but the whole song goes into a violin freak-out which is what i was refering to. still not sure if that's what you were talking about though.

oh I only know the sample (little dude status)

anyways violins are played out, and that's word to miri bin-ari.