buying new vs used records

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
with all the buying threads lately, I'm interested in seeing what the breakdown is of your spending habit. How much is focused on old used records vs new releases? I'm probably in the minority as I've been buying a lot more new releases this year than in the past. DG benefits as I've spent a grip on them this year already. Plus my addiction to japanese 12"s (shipping is a grip) is putting a big dent into my used record game. I know the proliferation of serato has deaded the new release game too. Hence I would be particularly interested in seeing the change in spending for those dudes doing it w/ DILDO[/b]. A YO?right now I would say my breakdown is 75% new vs 25% old.

Comments

• I buy used and rearly ever spend more then $5 on a record.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Probably 90% used. Of course I don't play out so I don't need the hot new tracks. There is some stuff I'd like to get but when I see the price tags it makes me shudder.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    If the records you buy are recorded with the intent to be pressed into records and played on a record player than it makes sense. But if the music is recorded digitally and to played digitally, what would be the benefit? I guess unless you are a DJ.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I heard that in somes cases, even if the recording is digital, there are different masters for the CD and vinyl release. Radiohead's "Hail to the thief" was one of those cases, I think.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    they're almost always mastered differently I believe.

Anyway I'd say volume is probably 25% new, 75% used. But money wise it's about 50/50.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I buy used and rearly ever spend more then $5 on a record.

ditto.

I buy maybe three or four records and one cd new for full price a year.

Whereas, I buy hundreds of used records a year.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

you are just simply not a great collectro.

• The 180gram new shit has almost skipped everytime for me. Right out of the shrinkwrap to. They make tennis shoes with spinners in them but they haven't been able to improve vinyl over the years.

• I buy used and rearly ever spend more then $5 on a record.

I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a great collectro, but if I ever win the lotto or pay off my student loans it could happen.

• I've been throwing down for mostly used lately, so it'd probably be 90% older and 10% brand spanking new.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a great collectro, but if I ever win the lotto or pay off my student loans it could happen.

yeah, sorry, i've just been wanting to use that line for a while.