Were Your Lyrics Always That Simple???

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Hey Volumen,

Actually, I was sort of disregarding the Phifer in discussing Tip, not comparing the two. Plus, I generally just "tolerated" Phife because he came with the package, sort of how I felt about 5ft. Excellator in Black Moon, Sin Dog in Cypress Hill, Doodlebug in Digable Planets, Pete Nice in 3rd Bass, Son Cease in Onyx, U-God in Wu-Tang, Danny Boy in the House of Pain, or Tomahawk Funk in Funkdoobiest. Since Tip was "the hype" of the group, I was just surprised at how lacking I found his lyrics to be. His presentation made him enjoyable, but the lyrics were just so damn basic. It really stood out to me for the first time last night, though I remain a die-hard Tribe faithful. They made great albums (no "Love Movement").

I agree with your statement about Diamond. I was just pointing out that he was generally simple lyrically, but his rhymes sounded dope because of his voice and wittiness. Many MC's get over because of this, but they don't seem to be as clever or interesting these days.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

No doubt Phife and Tip had two differnt styles so no way to really compare them. Plus, Tip really had a cool verse on the MC street battle song from Beats Rhymes and Life "Blah Blah Blah that's what he said so I........and just fucked up his head". I guess I liked the fact that Phife wasn't just the hype man like some of the other guys you liested, but I totally hear what your saying.

I think it's like a lot of music....at the time it was something new and really sounded great now it's a little more dated, but still brings back good memories.

It's like Flavor Flav is great in PE, but solo he's just too much. I totally agree with the Diamond statement too, some of those guys just came across so cool and the subjects were cool/entertaining.

Interestingly it makes me think of the first time I read Shakespere (SP?) when I was 15 and I was like whatever this is like every other story/play in the world. Then my friend said "yea, but he did it first and every one else ripped him off". And I thought "duh!!!! I didn't think of that". The "backpack movement" has produced some great lyrics, but no doubt they all were first influenced/inspired by Tribe.

OK I'm putting way too much energy into this, I gots lots of time today!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I remember years ago in a freestyle session when ATCQ was on the original Rap City (NoBassment), Phife made Q Tip's freestyle look fuckin' foolish.

Not saying dude was a great MC or anything, but I can't really get with the postscript Phife dissing. He is what he is. I liked his solo album, perhaps I was the only one?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Except Flavor Flav didn't really spit verses. Phife on the other hand rhymed on every Tribe track. He was a full-fledged member of the group but only had the rhyme skills of a hype man. Let's not apologize for his whackness. He never shoulda been on the mic for so long. He was never dope. And if it was Phife and not Ali bringing all those hype beats, then he could get a pass like Diamond. But it wasn't.

• Phife on the other hand rhymed on every Tribe track.

He only had a few verses on the 1st LP right?
    But he was gobbling, if i remember correctly, like a dog-on turkey (the wordplay!)

Except Flavor Flav didn't really spit verses. Phife on the other hand rhymed on every Tribe track. He was a full-fledged member of the group but only had the rhyme skills of a hype man. Let's not apologize for his whackness. He never shoulda been on the mic for so long. He was never dope. And if it was Phife and not Ali bringing all those hype beats, then he could get a pass like Diamond. But it wasn't.

Whatever. Is this another hcrink hoax?

That was my point, Phife wasn't just a hype man, he had lots of verses and I think he did a good job. Plus, even if his solo joint wasn't the greatest neither was Tips. Chist dude went form "the abstract" to "look at my abs under my fur coat". That's wackness.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    ugh, Phife made tribe what it was just as much as qtip and Ali... to take one out of the group would have altered its effect overall... I wasn;t a fan of Phife's solo stuff but with tribe he always did his thing just as much as Q-tip did.

but none of them can do shit on their own. Q-tip's mild success was just that mild. Ali and Phife's success was less mild.

Anyway no thread hikack - cosgn with MC Eiht, one of my favorites, I put common in that boat too. Depending on the production his delivery is better or worse ( and I guess the woman he is with at the time). CL Smooth? Black Thought?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yo, what is it with yall! Yall are like the wack MC apologist society.

Look, Guru was wack, Diamond was wack, Phife was wack... doesn't mean they didn't cut classic records! I mean, I don't think anyone's trying to tarnish the tribe legacy. Of course Phife was part of that. But call a spade a spade, dude had moments where I was cringing, for real, same as any of the less gifted folks who still managed to give us classic records. If anything, that's the argument to be made about today's hip-hop: so what, some of yall are wack, where's the classic albums that know their limits and are still great for what they are?

Its all a matter of opinion. I have friends that love Phife and think Q tip is aight. I have friends that don't like tribe but will go on and on about how dope Mac 10 is...

What about Warren G, do you think it was all production? His first album was nice but after that he kindof fell off IMO.

n-x-e-t

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Hey Volumen,

Actually, I was sort of disregarding the Phifer in discussing Tip, not comparing the two. Plus, I generally just "tolerated" Phife because he came with the package, sort of how I felt about 5ft. Excellator in Black Moon, Sin Dog in Cypress Hill, Doodlebug in Digable Planets, Pete Nice in 3rd Bass, Son Cease in Onyx, U-God in Wu-Tang[/b], Danny Boy in the House of Pain, or Tomahawk Funk in Funkdoobiest. Since Tip was "the hype" of the group, I was just surprised at how lacking I found his lyrics to be. His presentation made him enjoyable, but the lyrics were just so damn basic. It really stood out to me for the first time last night, though I remain a die-hard Tribe faithful. They made great albums (no "Love Movement").

I agree with your statement about Diamond. I was just pointing out that he was generally simple lyrically, but his rhymes sounded dope because of his voice and wittiness. Many MC's get over because of this, but they don't seem to be as clever or interesting these days.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Oh no, even Golden Arms!?!?

n-x-e-t

What the hell is that? Next chance for you to keep being an asshole and never offer anything usefull? You don't want to talk about this stuff go fuck off and start your own thread.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Cool no thread hijack (though I think that happened a little further up).

Anyway alls I know is Common just got lumped with fuhfuggin Phife Dog in terms of lyrical skill.

That should be a definitive sign to everyone that this thread is officially dead.

Cool no thread hijack (though I think that happened a little further up).

Anyway alls I know is Common just got lumped with fuhfuggin Phife Dog in terms of lyrical skill.

That should be a definitive sign to everyone that this thread is officially dead.

No it just proves every one has their own tase and it doesn't make anyone "wrong". Personally I never saw the big deal with Common. He doesn't suck and he's better than some, but he doesn't make me want to run out and buy his stuff the second it drops.

n-x-e-t

What the hell is that? Next chance for you to keep being an asshole and never offer anything usefull? You don't want to talk about this stuff go fuck off and start your own thread.

Well clearly it's the nxet chance for Volumen to show the world what a tool he is!

You twig, I was talking about Warren G, who rhymed "What's next, what's next, what's n-x-e-t".

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Man, dudes sure do throw that word "wack" around haphazardly. Guru, Diamond and Phife wack??? Maybe not at the top of the mc food chain, but WACK??? Lordy...

So if those dudes are wack, what do you call the Vanilla Ice / Hammer level dudes? Uber wack? I just got done listening to some Too Short albums for the first time the other day... where do you rate Short Dog in comparison to Phife Dog? Phife is wack but Too Short is a legend? Yeeesh.

Without a doubt, Phife had as much or more to do with "The Low End Theory" being IMO one of the all time great rap albums as Tip and Ali did. Where was everybody at when "Low End" came out? It was common knowledge that Phife killed it on that record.

Common is dope on his older albums but everything he has been releassing lately has been ehh to me. except the corners joint. So the question is, do his rhymes only standout because of dope production? NO ID? I don't put him and Phife on the same level, but if we are talking about people who need a certain sound/production to sound great, then he is one in my book.

n-x-e-t up

what about... MF Doom? I am only feeling a few of his tracks here and there and it tends to be more because of the production... just my opinion.

Man, dudes sure do throw that word "wack" around haphazardly. Guru, Diamond and Phife wack??? Maybe not at the top of the mc food chain, but WACK??? Lordy...

So if those dudes are wack, what do you call the Vanilla Ice / Hammer level dudes? Uber wack? I just got done listening to some Too Short albums for the first time the other day... where do you rate Short Dog in comparison to Phife Dog? Phife is wack but Too Short is a legend? Yeeesh.

Without a doubt, Phife had as much or more to do with "The Low End Theory" being IMO one of the all time great rap albums as Tip and Ali did. Where was everybody at when "Low End" came out? It was common knowledge that Phife killed it on that record.

Buggin Out!!!!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Could rap dudes plaese learn to appreciate artists on their own merits rather than solely by comparison to one another?

Alright alright, maybe not "wack" per se, but my point is that a lot of dudes who made CLASSIC records (and I am saying, Phife's rhymes with Quest are just as classic) are arguably not dope MCs on their own.

I would compare Short Dog to Phife Dog as someone who may not have the same lyrical dexterity (yeesh... not like Phife had a lot) but someone who had way more style. Now, I don't expect you to understand all that because you're not really familiar with west coast style, but that's how I would compare the two. I mean, you have to understand Short is like THAT DUDE for a huge part of the country, whereas Phife is a rapper among many others in the greater scheme of rappers coming out of New York. The levels of success speak for themselves, as do the levels of influence. People are still rhyming like Short but nobody's rhyming like Phife anymore.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

See, I always thought that was common knowledge too, but every time I said something to that effect, I got screamed on like, "What are you, a fucking moron? Q-Tip is a million times better than Phife!" Yeesh indeed.

Alright alright, maybe not "wack" per se, but my point is that a lot of dudes who made CLASSIC records (and I am saying, Phife's rhymes with Quest are just as classic) are arguably not dope MCs on their own.

I would compare Short Dog to Phife Dog as someone who may not have the same lyrical dexterity (yeesh... not like Phife had a lot) but someone who had way more style. Now, I don't expect you to understand all that because you're not really familiar with west coast style, but that's how I would compare the two. I mean, you have to understand Short is like THAT DUDE for a huge part of the country, whereas Phife is a rapper among many others in the greater scheme of rappers coming out of New York. The levels of success speak for themselves, as do the levels of influence. People are still rhyming like Short but nobody's rhyming like Phife anymore.

Okay, cool... I'll have to give you that one, since I admittedly don't understand what the worship of Short is all about. But even though his rhymes seem to be about as simple and lacking in cleverness as any I've ever heard, I STILL would not call Too Short wack. And that's only because so many people love him for some reason which I will probably never understand... I figure it must just be something I'm not picking up on. Either that or all Too Short fans are imbeciles, which obviously can't be the case. Can it? (uh oh...)

See, I always thought that was common knowledge too, but every time I said something to that effect, I got screamed on like, "What are you, a fucking moron? Q-Tip is a million times better than Phife!" Yeesh indeed.

It's these revisionist historians, man! You gotta watch them, they're everywhere nowadays and they're reaaallly dangerous!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Large Proffesor anyone? Yeah I woudn't want to read his lyrics but the cat is just clean and in the pocket (ay yo) when the dude rhymes.

Definetly a cat I always enjoyed listening to.

n-x-e-t

Well clearly it's the nxet chance for Volumen to show the world what a tool he is!

You twig, I was talking about Warren G, who rhymed "What's next, what's next, what's n-x-e-t".

nobody has given a fuck about warren g since him and Garth brooks had their little spat over the letter "g". if you wern't a 24 hour tool I wouldn't be so inclined to talk shit on you. but you come into this thread with your meaningless bullshit and then suddenly expect me to care about what your talking about. all you do is talk shit and rag on anyone who doesn't share your views. "nxet" oh yea that really contributes to anything being said. so my statement still stands. unless you have anything to offer other than a lame ass 4 letter warren g quote you can fuck off.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    RAP BATTLE!

n-x-e-t

nobody has given a fuck about warren g since him and Garth brooks had their little spat over the letter "g". if you wern't a 24 hour tool I wouldn't be so inclined to talk shit on you. but you come into this thread with your meaningless bullshit and then suddenly expect me to care about what your talking about. all you do is talk shit and rag on anyone who doesn't share your views. "nxet" oh yea that really contributes to anything being said. so my statement still stands. unless you have anything to offer other than a lame ass 4 letter warren g quote you can fuck off.

YOu are too funny... thank you for giving me a laugh this fine evening.

The dude I responded to asked about Warren G. Go back and re-read the post.

But please feel free to continue to "talk shit on me"!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Weak.

Weak.

I don't rap battle. Sorry. That boy AP will tell dude to "take a hella step back" though

Weak.

Ha Ha! Paycheck is just a poser. He came into this thread talking shit like everyone was stupid. Then as soon as Phil posts JP suddenly has something to say beside his usual meaningless insults. Now he can go beat off and tell all his friends "I talk to Soulman and he talked back to me I'm sooo cool.........uuuuuugh *squirt*"

Weak.

Ha Ha! Paycheck is just a poser. He came into this thread talking shit like everyone was stupid. Then as soon as Phil posts JP suddenly has something to say beside his usual meaningless insults. Now he can go beat off and tell all his friends "I talk to Soulman and he talked back to me I'm sooo cool.........uuuuuugh *squirt*"

Please hop off my dick now. It won't fit back in my pants with you hanging all on it like this.