MTV makes girls look stoopid (TV not M related)

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
MTV doesn't really show music videos anymore, so this is not RR. it is related to culture and post-feminism. actually, i don't know what post-feminism is. but...seriously.does anyone watch 'real world' 'laguna beach' or 'super sweet 16.' neither do i. if i did, i'd notice that these shows paint a terribly bleak picture of young girls. from what i've seen of '16,' it completely glamorizes the "spoiled" and "bratty" aspects of being a teenage girl. a girl spends $50,000 on a party, throws a tantrum if they can't get an ice sculpture made after her own image, her daddy relents cuz she's his little angel, then the girl has like a totally wonderful time and comes off looking like the most happy popular little high schooler in san diego.RW and LB girls are treated like shit by guys and they love it. it makes me want to treat girls like a p-i-m-p. why can't this girl have a little self-esteem?perhaps i should take this to cosmogirl.com

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    What's wrong with spoiled teens having fun? Also, it's not like they make the guys brainiacs on these shows, unless you count Asston on Punk'd, he's kind of a diabolical genius, lol.

Kids watching kids that watch kids.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    MTV doesn't really show music videos anymore, so this is not RR. it is related to culture and post-feminism. actually, i don't know what post-feminism is. but...

seriously.

does anyone watch 'real world' 'laguna beach' or 'super sweet 16.' neither do i. if i did, i'd notice that these shows paint a terribly bleak picture of young girls. from what i've seen of '16,' it completely glamorizes the "spoiled" and "bratty" aspects of being a teenage girl. a girl spends $50,000 on a party, throws a tantrum if they can't get an ice sculpture made after her own image, her daddy relents cuz she's his little angel, then the girl has like a totally wonderful time and comes off looking like the most happy popular little high schooler in san diego.

RW and LB girls are treated like shit by guys and they love it. it makes me want to treat girls like a p-i-m-p.

why can't this girl have a little self-esteem?

Word Mandrew. I caught a few minutes of these same shows and had the same feelings. The shows do paint a VERY bleak picture of young girls. I grew up with one brother so I never saw the teenage girl growing up thing first hand. One thing I do know is that if we had a sister she would not have been ANYTHING like these girls because my parents would NOT put up with any of that princess attitude for one minute. The parents are to blame because they cater to every demand these silly little girls make. These little bitches need to come back down to earth and so do the parents!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    What's wrong with spoiled teens having fun?

it's obnoxious. but more than that... MTV portraying this behavior makes non-spoiled kids want to act spoiled. i can't imagine how many girls were affected by jessica simpson's ditzy cuteness on 'newlyweds.'

by the way, jessica and nick split up. i got dibs on jessica, so back off.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

it's obnoxious. but more than that... MTV portraying this behavior makes non-spoiled kids want to act spoiled. i can't imagine how many girls were affected by jessica simpson's ditzy cuteness on 'newlyweds.'

it's like that southpark episode where all the girls want to be like paris hilton.

of course, at the end, paris hilton ends up trapped in mr. slaves asshole. a powerful message.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

it's like that southpark episode where all the girls want to be like paris hilton.

of course, at the end, paris hilton ends up trapped in mr. slaves asshole. a powerful message.

exactly. what's missing in these shows is that in every episode, the girl that acts like the biggest slut should end up inside someone's asshole.

• these girls make themselves look stupid. mtv is just there to video tape it and cash in.

• why can't this girl have a little self-esteem?

That girl has self-esttem she's a nymph. WORD I watch Real World.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I like the fat girl who did an episode of super sweet 16, she was bratty and big and didn't give a fuck about wasting mommy & daddy's dough

semi-related note: I watch a shitload of VH1 now, does that mean I'm old?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

well thet are catering to us....lol

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    No, just on some grown man ish. Do you watch that egotrip show?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    No, just on some grown man ish. Do you watch that egotrip show?

yeah, and I can't front I look at everyone on there and calm myself by thinking "at least I'm still younger than these foolio's"

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    these girls make themselves look stupid. mtv is just there to video tape it and cash in.

Please.

MTV is not hiding in the bushes filming 'real life' like david fucking Attenborough. These TV shows create and market an unrealistic image that young women are led to aspire to - and it's fucking wrong.

Word Mandrew. I caught a few minutes of these same shows and had the same feelings. The shows do paint a VERY bleak picture of young girls. I grew up with one brother so I never saw the teenage girl growing up thing first hand. One thing I do know is that if we had a sister she would not have been ANYTHING like these girls because my parents would NOT put up with any of that princess attitude for one minute. The parents are to blame because they cater to every demand these silly little girls make. These little bitches need to come back down to earth and so do the parents![/b]
    They need to have they ass whupped. Shame on 'em.

• if i did, i'd notice that these shows paint a terribly bleak picture of young girls. from what i've seen of '16,' it completely glamorizes the "spoiled" and "bratty" aspects of being a teenage girl. a[/img]

real speak dude. Like young women don't have enough shitty message of how they should look and act already, now they have the idea that having a big-ass party and "having no ugly people" at your jump-off is whats up. It's like they're promoting class-ism. fuck all that

but just as important [/b]

When did Cee-Lo get paid? I remember seeing his daughter on the show and kept thinking the whole time "Where the fuck did Cee-LO get money? I don't think I've ever heard a song of his burning up the charts or an radio rotation".

Really though. Investments? Co-writing songs? A dude wants to know

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    These TV shows create and market an unrealistic image that young women are led to aspire to - and it's fucking wrong.
    Then these girls need better parenting. Ain't no 16 year old throwing cash around without mommy and daddy supporting them unless they whoring themselves out or dealing drugs.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    These TV shows create and market an unrealistic image that young women are led to aspire to - and it's fucking wrong.
    Then these girls need better parenting. Ain't no 16 year old throwing cash around without mommy and daddy supporting them unless they whoring themselves out or dealing drugs.

there will always be some parent person out there willing to sell out their family for a shot at being in front of the camera. The idea of some sort of glamour is so appealing to these folks that turning out your child on national airwaves isn't a worry.

We can point fingers at whose fault it is but it really don't matter who started it up, its no going on and we as viewers are supporting it.

the problem don't got a main source, it flows from many different channels

if i did, i'd notice that these shows paint a terribly bleak picture of young girls. from what i've seen of '16,' it completely glamorizes the "spoiled" and "bratty" aspects of being a teenage girl. a[/img]

real speak dude. Like young women don't have enough shitty message of how they should look and act already, now they have the idea that having a big-ass party and "having no ugly people" at your jump-off is whats up. It's like they're promoting class-ism. fuck all that

Not to knock what your saying but if a young girl is taught to not feed into these messages that are broadcasted on TV, does it really matter what kind of garbage MTV puts out? What I'm trying to say is, the parents are ultimately responsible. Yes, a kid is gonna do what they gonna do but it seems like parents aren't raising their kids these days.

• Ain't no 16 year old throwing cash around without mommy and daddy supporting them unless they whoring themselves out or dealing drugs.

REYNALDO DOESN"T DO DRUGS OR ENGAGE IN ANY TYPE OF BEHAVIOR THAN CAN BE SEEN AS "NEGATIVE" or "middle class".

THE_MACK on the other hand gets madd butt-dawg and puchini.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    there will always be some parent person out there willing to sell out their family for a shot at being in front of the camera. The idea of some sort of glamour is so appealing to these folks that turning out your child on national airwaves isn't a worry.

We can point fingers at whose fault it is but it really don't matter who started it up, its no going on and we as viewers are supporting it.

i was talking more about the impressionable youth that these shows influence

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

REAL TALK!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Parents are the #1 influence on their own children. Without good parenting, all of those different sources influence kids much more than they should.

Parents are the #1 influence on their own children. Without good parenting, all of those different sources influence kids much more than they should.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    if i did, i'd notice that these shows paint a terribly bleak picture of young girls. from what i've seen of '16,' it completely glamorizes the "spoiled" and "bratty" aspects of being a teenage girl. a[/img]

When did Cee-Lo get paid? I remember seeing his daughter on the show and kept thinking the whole time "Where the fuck did Cee-LO get money? I don't think I've ever heard a song of his burning up the charts or an radio rotation".

Cee-Lo isn't a dummy. I'm sure he didn't waste his advance on Ice, and there was a time when he was in demand as a guest spot.. he was probably getting nice grip for guesting on shit. Like Carlos Santana went a gillion times platinum. co-writing and producing and the like...licensing...plus shows, plus ATL is a relatively cheap place to live. not to mention he produced that Pussycat Dolls hit. dude ain't strugglin...
    It's feasible that he's a millionaire... in which case he can afford to drop 30K on a sweet 16 for his little girl..he prob got a nice advance for his last album.. even though it didn't do shit... he's definitely a sellable artist if in the right hands...

• sorry but did anyone see the Sweet 16 episode with the gay black dood? now THAT was comedy.

i agree the show paints a negative image of girls, etc. there was one episode with a spoiled Persian chick who turned out to be my girl's cousin!!! shit was embarrassing for her since she's from the more down-to-earth NorCal side of the family.

that said, if there are any low self esteem girls lurking on here, feel free to PM me.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

ewww.

• if i did, i'd notice that these shows paint a terribly bleak picture of young girls. from what i've seen of '16,' it completely glamorizes the "spoiled" and "bratty" aspects of being a teenage girl. a[/img]

Cee-Lo isn't a dummy. I'm sure he didn't waste his advance on Ice, and there was a time when he was in demand as a guest spot.. he was probably getting nice grip for guesting on shit. Like Carlos Santana went a gillion times platinum. co-writing and producing and the like...licensing...plus shows, plus ATL is a relatively cheap place to live. not to mention he produced that Pussycat Dolls hit. dude ain't strugglin...
    It's feasible that he's a millionaire... in which case he can afford to drop 30K on a sweet 16 for his little girl..he prob got a nice advance for his last album.. even though it didn't do shit... he's definitely a sellable artist if in the right hands...

I WANT TO SEE HIS ACCOUNTANTS BOOKS! I DON"T BELIEVE IT!

Naw, well I did think that "yeah ATL is a cheap place to live" but the PSD joint has only been making noise recently.

I'm guessing it's all them Santana dollars. Talk about a lucky break

The last Cee-Lo was a real dope album.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Absolutely nothing. Ab-so-lute-ly no-thing.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    What I like about MTV is, depending on one's level of maturity, it can be a great social critic. Most people I know take it far too seriously and think it's socially irresponsible, which I agree with to a certain extent. Of course, MTV doesn't raise children -- yet -- and as Michael Crichton said, TV is the modern day campfire. I'll trade a tree stump for a couch cushion anyday, as well as real life sparks for the scintilating duo of Melinda and Danny, both of whom cannot be put out with a bladderful of piss.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    [Cheap Plug] catch the 5 part series "101 More Outrageous TV moments" to see laguna beach parodies (possbily featuring young guzzo) [/cheap plug]