Coltrane Monk lost tape

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/04/DDGKPF11VT1.DTLPersonally this doesn't get me "all wet" or anything like that. But surely there are some jazz nerds busting loads somewhere.

Comments

• Lost Monk Coltrane collabo tape

• http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/04/DDGKPF11VT1.DTL

Personally this doesn't get me "all wet" or anything like that. But surely there are some jazz nerds busting loads somewhere.

It's fucking incredible. essential jazz. Seriously, it's everything you could imagine. Monk's sparse, off-kilter notes underneath Coltrane's sax gymnastics is absolutely orgasmic.

Buy it now! It's out

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AV2GCE/qid=1128540165/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7748606-2687262?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/04/DDGKPF11VT1.DTL

Personally this doesn't get me "all wet" or anything like that. But surely there are some jazz nerds busting loads somewhere.

It's fucking incredible. essential jazz. Seriously, it's everything you could imagine. Monk's sparse, off-kilter notes underneath Coltrane's sax gymnastics is absolutely orgasmic.

Buy it now! It's out

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AV2GCE/qid=1128540165/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7748606-2687262?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

that cover is a shirt waiting to happen...
    i'l have to check that out after work, when did it come out?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

that cover is shit

• pasepase 89 Posts
    read an article about it in the daily news...

came out last week I think..

was at a certain period of both musicians careers that was significantly important.

Coltrane had been out of the scene for awhile due to kicking the H habit, and Monk was trying to get his cabaret license back or some shit, so they were both on some other nother... at least that's what the story was suggesting...

• I'm about the cover too. It came out last Tuesday.

• read an article about it in the daily news...

came out last week I think..

was at a certain period of both musicians careers that was significantly important.

Coltrane had been out of the scene for awhile due to kicking the H habit, and Monk was trying to get his cabaret license back or some shit, so they were both on some other nother... at least that's what the story was suggesting...

I'm pretty sure Monk had his cabaret card by then, because the vast majority of their time playing together was a residency at the Five Spot...

• pasepase 89 Posts
    yeah, this was like a month or two after the five spot joints. maybe they were saying he lost it after this, and couldn't play in NY for awhile, I forget.... anyway. This was basically the five spot era but none of them were recorded, so this recording is significant...supposedly.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    yeah, this was like a month or two after the five spot joints. maybe they were saying he lost it after this, and couldn't play in NY for awhile, I forget.... anyway. This was basically the five spot era but none of them were recorded, so this recording is significant...supposedly.

It is important because it is the only professionally recorded material available(Voice of America Radio recorded the occasion using their professional sound techs and radio guys) AND it was completely not known to exist by any of the principle's families, management, critics, or historians. Ira Gitler says in the liners that he couldn't even remember the show, which is pretty astounding considering it was these 2 giants as well as Sonny Rollins, Billie Holiday, Ray Charles, Dizzy, Chet Baker and Zoot sims AND it was on the Thanksgiving weekend of 1957. While it may be underwhelming for folks casually tuned in to funky jazz, if you have an interest in the music's development and in these two in particular, the CD is like having a full color photo where only grainy black and white was available. It crystalizes and backs up the notion's of how serious Monk's mentorship was to opening up Coltrane's then-impending creative surge that characterized the remaining year's and would ultimately define his career and legacy. It's all there in beautifully recorded clarity in a live setting in a great sounding room.

AND it was found by accident, a small miracle that it was not destroyed year's earlier. http://www.bluenote.com/detail.asp?SelectionID=10459

This CD is as close as the jazz fan gets to finding buried treasure.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Trust me, this CD sounds great. If you like 1957-era Monk and Coltrane, and liked what has come out before, this blows it away.

It's in mono, but since it was recorded specifically for a radio broadcast, quality is excellent. Both of them are "playful", but each respects each other's boundaries. A must have album.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Is it from around the same time that they recorded the studio album together?

• If you have torrents...
    Monk Coltrane Lost Tapes
    I'm looking forward to this.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    If you have torrents...
    Monk Coltrane Lost Tapes
    I'm looking forward to this.

sorry i am of no valuable input on this one but i have to say
    HOLY SHIT!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I need to get this still.

Is it from around the same time that they recorded the studio album together?

They never did a studio recording with this group, and I don't think they ever appeared together on any of either's studio sessions. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Any Coltrane/Monk LPs or CDs you see are from live tapes, usually fans or other musicians' tapes.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    they recorded together on Monk's Music. Legend has it that during the recording of "Well, You Needn't", Coltrane dozed off in the studio in a heroin induced stupor. You can hear Monk yell "Coltrane, Coltrane" and he apparently wakes up and just starts soloing. It's a great album whether or not that story is true.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    OK, so the one I have is "Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane" & it is apparently taken from the same sessions as "Monk's Music" & "Thelonious Himself", April-July 57, with Coleman Hawkins on 2 tracks also. So there are 3 Monk studio LPs featuring Coltrane, all made from the same sessions.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Definately worth hearing. I heard it about 2 weeks ago on WKCR's Coltrane birthday marathon. Unfortunately, the cd doesn't have Phil Shaap going on and on and on about minute details of every recording (I like it). I love me some wkcr marathons.

For those in NY, Thelonious's birthday broadcast is monday.

they recorded together on Monk's Music. Legend has it that during the recording of "Well, You Needn't", Coltrane dozed off in the studio in a heroin induced stupor. You can hear Monk yell "Coltrane, Coltrane" and he apparently wakes up and just starts soloing. It's a great album whether or not that story is true.

I stand corrected, and I am pretty sure the story is true, as Coltrane's habit was pretty bad in those days.

If you have any of these LPs, get the CD, you won't be dissapointed(unless you try to rip it to iTunes-that's a no go).

• Who's playing drums on it? Is it Roy Haynes? Definitely gettin this one.

• Who's playing drums on it? Is it Roy Haynes? Definitely gettin this one.

its Shadow Wilson. Ahmed Abdul Malik on bass.
    let me cosine with everyone- this recording (not surprisingly) is ridiculously good.