NEW Wax Poetics

2»

Comments

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    but they used to throw me enough bits that i wanted to read about that i'd always buy. and from what i hear their 12" feature was really popular. i think that deep down they are just biased jazzists.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    but they used to throw me enough bits that i wanted to read about that i'd always buy. and from what i hear their 12" feature was really popular. i think that deep down they are just biased jazzists.

eh, I don't know... I mean, would a jazzist even devote a page to John friggin Klemmer?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

eh, I don't know... I mean, would a jazzist even devote a page to John friggin Klemmer?

CPR is right the magazine is streamlining itself into something much more jazz based. I originally thought of the agazine as a cratedigging journal. It came with articles about hip-hop dues, funk dudes, and jazz dudes....there seems to be much more concentration on the jazz side now which is gonna chase away some people. I remember how much folks loved that article about the Roosevelt record show and I was thinking the magazine needs more stuff about the more recent side of record digging culture. I enjoyed Cosmo's article on Val Shively in the 1st issue for the same reason. It's an area that WaxPo needs to tackle more especially as they run out of fascinating70's jazz folk to talk to. I mean did any of you really care that much about what John Klemmer had to say on anything?

Whats next, Chuck Mangione gives tops on how to properly wear a hat?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Whats next, Chuck Mangione gives tops on how to properly wear a hat?

Ouch! You guys talked me out of even looking for the last issue, and I may only get this one for the Phase II cover. For real, $8 you better print more than a bunch of jazz talk.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

I remember how much folks loved that article about the Roosevelt record show and I was thinking the magazine needs more stuff about the more recent side of record digging culture.

[self promotion] Please to see latest issue's Beni B article [/self promotion]

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    I'm sure it will piss people off that there is stuff on David Matthews and Yusef Lateef just like it did with the Klemmer

I've got no problem with Lateef, he plays circles around Klemmer. Check his catalog, then compare it against Klemmer. No contest.

If Lateef was a lexus, klemmer would be a fuggin hot wheel.

Wasup with people dissing John Klemmer.... He has put out dope albums (stuff before Fresh Feathers) check out BLOOD OF THE SUN from the Magic and Movement LP....

I stand by my flat out no comparison assessment.

Lateef is LIVE AT PEPs.
    Klemmer couldn't get live if he fell on the third rail.

Lateef was dope through the mid 70s on Atlantic.
    Klemmer thinks he's the white grover washington jr.

Lateef has a doctrate and wrote eloquent liner notes.
    Klemmer got his GED when he was 34 and wrote bad checks.

Lateef is constantly good.
    Klemmer is... "CONSTANT THROB".

Lateef was on Impulse when he was playing sick flute.
    Klemmer got the "Impulse" to blow flute when everybody else was sick of him.

Yo, Im not trying to compare these two players skills or style,... Yusef Lateef cannot be fucked with, he is bad and has made many killer records... no doubt !!!
    Im just saying I dig Klemmer's early work, mellow or rough, funky and soulful, recording with so many dope musicians,... and I was real pleased with the article in Wax Poetics.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    still no 12" feature? anything disco/electro related?

keepon is gradually replacing waxpoetics as my fave mag.

new Keep On is out next month suppossedly.

i lost interest with wax po when it shifted in to a boring academic jazz fusion digest.

there's nothing disco / electro / dance music in the whole issue??

dudes on DJH were mentioning something about a feature on Baldelli the legendary italian cosmic DJ.

but that seems to good to be true.

• boring academic jazz fusion digest.

i mean, i don't think this magazine is truly great or anything. In fact i think its very inconsistent.

But some of that stuff on [Watt]Stax in recent issue was REALLY worthwhile. Charles Wright? Jimmy McGriff? Who else is documenting these people at this point? So to sum up, generalizations like the above seem a little unfair.

Haters

• I'm Gary.

Yeah, you and the Chinese property broker I'm working with right now. I swear, you should have some friggin respect. Change your name to Ygar or something.

I get the strangest feeling you are referencing something I said... But I cant for the life of me figure out what!!!!

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    I agree what some said about the content. Considering the
    wealth of music, and the sheer number of artist who barely
    got their voices heard. In some ways WP gives those artist
    their due appreciate written on paper. In recently ways,
    it seems to be moving towards more commmercialized agendas
    (re: Watt Stax issue). Not that Watt Stax is undeserving,
    but its been COVERED ALREADY! I mean come on.... What gives?

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    Check out the reissue date on the Idris Mohhammed-Power Of Soul and then look at the date when wax poetics ran an article on the guy. HMMMMM? It's probably just coinincidince though

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm Gary.

Change your name to Ygar or something.

I get the strangest feeling you are referencing something I said... But I cant for the life of me figure out what!!!!

trippin' dog, you can't even scroll up anymore at work?

supposed to rain this weekend but I got LEADS, YESS!

Exactly! Coincidence, perhaps, But the last "Watt Stax" issue
    had too much "market timing" to be just a coincidence. The term Indy
    or Independent artist, movers/shakers is now seemingly more of a cosmetic
    self-prescribed label. It truly is excedingly hard in this era to find
    those that remain independent and devoid of external influence/control.
    Is this the case with WP, I can't say with confidence, but evidence points that way.

• OXYCONTINOXYCONTIN 115 Posts
    watch out!!!!!!!!!
    here comes the wax po po!

In the spirit of possible hidden message delivery, or timed advertising,

perhaps it's fair to assume Oxycotin is giving us the advance on his

new alternative lifestyle biker cops with oral smoking fetishes website

presumably known as mycoxsafallin.com. Where leather gloves, unbuttoned

khaki shirts, helmets, cuffs, batons, and the occasional unprovoked

group beatings (pun unintended) are all the rage. Will a portion of the

proceeds be directed to Soulstrut.com for all (if any) direct connect traffic provided?

BTW: Pardon me for asking such a personal question, but does your location (in the sidebar) indicated in anyway your prefered position of being "on top"?

• I gotta say I still think Wax Poetics is well worth buying and reading. The Wattstax article in the last issue was extremely well done. Ditto the Jimmy Mcgriff and Ricky Calloway pieces. That said some of their content decisions are a little baffling, ie John Klemmer. Some of the regular features are quite dry and overly academic as well. And for some reason the more interesting regular columns don't seem to be so regular anymore. So my verdict: still a damn good read, but with a little tweaking it could be a lot better.

• OXYCONTINOXYCONTIN 115 Posts
    In the spirit of possible hidden message delivery, or timed advertising,
    perhaps it's fair to assume Oxycotin is giving us the advance on his
    new alternative lifestyle biker cops with oral smoking fetishes website
    presumably known as mycoxsafallin.com. Where leather gloves, unbuttoned
    khaki shirts, helmets, cuffs, batons, and the occasional unprovoked
    group beatings (pun unintended) are all the rage. Will a portion of the
    proceeds be directed to Soulstrut.com for all (if any) direct connect traffic provided?

BTW: Pardon me for asking such a personal question, but does your location (in the sidebar) indicated in anyway your prefered position of being "on top"?

Holla at the boy boy, let's ride out man

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I bought my copy today, looking forward to reading it for the next week or so. What did shock me was that I'm quoted in the Blueprint ad. I'm not quoted in bios or ads as much as some of my fellow journalists here, so it was a nice surprise.