OVERPRICED

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
so IYHO, what's constitutes an overpriced record? i agree that some stores price on the high end, but when is too much, too much?keep in mind we're talking about collectibles.

Comments

• http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4758929116

seems to regularly fetch this kind of dough aswell.

ok Mac Nife is a dope track but to be honest i'd find it hard to part with more than 10 quid for this LP

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Personally, I hate when stores seem to figure out what most people would be willing to pay for a record, and then raise it $5-10, as in, we got something people want so let's milk it for every penny and try to get more than it is "worth." Or when someone tries to sell a beat copy of a record for the price a clean copy would sell for.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    when someone tries to sell a beat copy of a record for the price a clean copy would sell for.

This is the worst, in my humble opinion.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    when someone tries to sell a beat copy of a record for the price a clean copy would sell for.

But... they don't even make records anymore!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

no doubt. it's shows a severe lack of common sense.

a hoarder we work with never leaves home w/o his price guide. and even when a record looks skated he says 'well the book says it's worth 10$ no matter what condition'

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

But... they don't even make record players[/b] anymore!

• Personally, I hate when stores seem to figure out what most people would be willing to pay for a record, and then raise it $5-10, as in, we got something people want so let's milk it for every penny and try to get more than it is "worth."

It's not quite this simple, from a store's perspective. I mean, worth itself is totally subjective, but...

I think Soulman pointed out, even if you could find a shop that charged $40 for Stark Reality it'd go so quick nobody would have a shot at it. Perfect example is, when we first opened, we had a bunch of records priced pretty cheap - they ended up going mostly to overseas dealers who could buy and make a mark-up. While we appreciate the business, I would rather that records go to folks who will listen to them not folks who are going to double the price in the UK or Japan or wherever. There's some things I won't do, like price common breaks for more than $6-8. But when a nice $100-ish piece pops up, sure I could move it more quickly at $50. But at $100, it'll go to someone who really wants it rather than someone who's gonna just flip it to ebay or another store.

I had a very rare record when we opened - I bought it for $15, so I could've charged $100 and made great money. It was more of a $200ish record though. I put $225 on it and the dude who bought it was really excited to get it. Sure I could've charged less, but it would've ended up with a dealer or a small time hustler not someone who loves the record.

Last, I usually price with the idea in mind of, "what if someone wants to haggle on this". If everything is priced as low as possible you really have no room to cut deals. If something's a $50 record, you have it for $60, and someone shows hesitation you can cut them a break and make their day.

Just my 2.

• I unfortunately encounter some LA dealers/sellers who know you know your records (and most likely feel you them better then they do) so anything you pull they feel must be the super raer valuable. What the hell is that all about? Can't a man buy a dollar joint every once in a while?

• Personally, I hate when stores seem to figure out what most people would be willing to pay for a record, and then raise it $5-10

Like they add virtual shipping costs.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I unfortunately encounter some LA dealers/sellers who know you know your records (and most likely feel you them better then they do) so anything you pull they feel must be the super raer valuable. What the hell is that all about? Can't a man buy a dollar joint every once in a while?

I get this constantly, not that I really blame 'em.

still, it'd be nice to able to buy a shitty private press or gospel lp for a couple bucks without having it run though ebay, popsike, etc first...

---

Personally, I hate when stores seem to figure out what most people would be willing to pay for a record, and then raise it $5-10, as in, we got something people want so let's milk it for every penny and try to get more than it is "worth."

It's not quite this simple, from a store's perspective. I mean, worth itself is totally subjective, but...

I think Soulman pointed out, even if you could find a shop that charged $40 for Stark Reality it'd go so quick nobody would have a shot at it. Perfect example is, when we first opened, we had a bunch of records priced pretty cheap - they ended up going mostly to overseas dealers who could buy and make a mark-up. While we appreciate the business, I would rather that records go to folks who will listen to them not folks who are going to double the price in the UK or Japan or wherever. There's some things I won't do, like price common breaks for more than $6-8. But when a nice $100-ish piece pops up, sure I could move it more quickly at $50. But at $100, it'll go to someone who really wants it rather than someone who's gonna just flip it to ebay or another store.

I had a very rare record when we opened - I bought it for $15, so I could've charged $100 and made great money. It was more of a $200ish record though. I put $225 on it and the dude who bought it was really excited to get it. Sure I could've charged less, but it would've ended up with a dealer or a small time hustler not someone who loves the record.

Last, I usually price with the idea in mind of, "what if someone wants to haggle on this". If everything is priced as low as possible you really have no room to cut deals. If something's a $50 record, you have it for $60, and someone shows hesitation you can cut them a break and make their day.

Just my 2.

pricing properly really depends on knowing your buyers, your location etc.

in NYC you can easily put top prices on raers, knowing that they'll sell eventually - even prices higher 25% or more higher than ebay( rocket scientist & tsl, anyone?)

I price alot of shit at a local place in Detroit & if I didn't mark it half or less than the going ebay/international rate it just would sell, there's hardly any foot traffic in Detroit you see & thus the best clients tend to be dealers...

---

• True indeed, well, I think there's a common ground between being a dealer depot and a retail boutique. I try to stay south of the highest priced shops here but unlike other parts of the country dealers in NYC are very savvy and you are not going to get a $200 record for cheap unless you are very lucky. If I offered the dealers that come in here basement prices so that I could sell shit for cheaper they'd just bring it up the street where someone will pay them more.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Over in the thread about Chicago record stores, somebody referenced a high-priced shop in the suburb of Evanston.

I am happy to say that there are $50 raers that have sat unbought in the bins since 1988.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    hey if a record goes in 5 minutes then clearly it wasn't overpriced. I hate having to sift through old jazz LPs that are priced according to price guides, like old Art Tatum and Louis Armstrong LPs that are like $100 that just sit for years and years.

I also really don't like paying ebay prices for records in stores, that doesn't mean everything has to be $5 or less but if you want ebay prices put it on ebay, and if I want to pay those prices I'll shop on ebay. I dunno, it bothers me.

Soulhawk- where do you work in Detroit?

hey if a record goes in 5 minutes then clearly it wasn't overpriced. I hate having to sift through old jazz LPs that are priced according to price guides, like old Art Tatum and Louis Armstrong LPs that are like $100 that just sit for years and years.

I also really don't like paying ebay prices for records in stores, that doesn't mean everything has to be $5 or less but if you want ebay prices put it on ebay, and if I want to pay those prices I'll shop on ebay. I dunno, it bothers me.

Soulhawk- where do you work in Detroit?

I've been seen pricing records from time-to-time at a well-known shop on 8 Mile at John R.

Don't blame me for any overpriced records though... in my opinion anything with real scratches or dog-eared covers is strictly dollar-bin material, but not everyone agrees with me.

• hey if a record goes in 5 minutes then clearly it wasn't overpriced. I hate having to sift through old jazz LPs that are priced according to price guides, like old Art Tatum and Louis Armstrong LPs that are like $100 that just sit for years and years.

This is totally opposite of the customers we serve. I'm more like, "if you think you can get it for $20 instead of $35 on ebay then go bid on ebay." Then they post on soulstrut to complain when they get grandma doodoo shitstain pizza box special. Record stores aren't junk shops, they provide a service and they should be compensated for that. I kind of hate this attitude

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

damn, sonicreducer looks like he's packing 'sticky fingers' style heat in his pants!

AYO!

I'm heading there today actually.

No records in Detroit.

No records in Detroit.

2 Japanese dealers were blazing through the city yesterday, so this actually might be true...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I unfortunately encounter some LA dealers/sellers who know you know your records (and most likely feel you them better then they do) so anything you pull they feel must be the super raer valuable. What the hell is that all about? Can't a man buy a dollar joint every once in a while?

sayin, it seems like some folks just think every record your eyeing must be a $50+ LP and your trying to get over on them. Fact of the matter is if your selling your records you should know what price your going to let go of them at. does it really make a difference if its me or some old grandma from Downey putting the $20 in your hand? no. take the the money and be glad with the sale. A lot of LA dealers try to get over on the buyers instead of trying to just sell.

No records in Detroit.

2 Japanese dealers were blazing through the city yesterday, so this actually might be true...

we'll see about that!

EDIT: I bet they didn't go through the 45s on the toilet tank!

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    A lot of LA dealers try to get over on the buyers instead of trying to just sell.

LA Will Make You...

No records in Detroit.

we'll see about that!

Honestly don't get your hopes up... Given the depressed state of Detroit employement, There are a crowd of guys who's sole income is eBay and they cherry pick stores daily. That is if there is anything of interest that makes it to the floor. I got to give love to Sonic Reducer for stashing records for me otherwise Detroit would have been a complete catastrophe last time we breezed through.

NEXT BIG PLACE FOR RECORDS: WEST VIRGINIA!

No records in Detroit.

There was a Japanese dealer at my po-dunk flea market last weekend. Did they all just arrive for fall and are scouring the states? Seriously... dood sonned me on my own turf.

• Pretty much. I've seen an uptick in Japanese dealers through the shop these last few weeks.

on this side of the pond, I'm calling pre-ebay prices overpriced. Dealers kept a pretty tight monopoly on things before, it was harder to tell what things were worth in relation to their rarity/ common-ness, and you understandably had to factor the 'going to the us and dragging back 100s of vinyls' expenses factor. ebay blew that wide open, you can't charge ??50 for records which are on ebay everyday for $20. So many records which were an easy ??25-40 five years ago should be unsaleable at any more than ??10-15 now, ebay put that all to bed. But people will try it still. Most ??20 jazz LPs over here, for instance, are really $10 ebay records.

On the other hand, sometimes I don't mind paying over the odds in shops, because I consider that part of what I pay the extra for is that a) the shop has found the record for me already b). its right there so when I pay I don't have to fuck around with post etc etc and I can just walk home c) I'd rather that good record shops existed than disappeared. It would be awful ifthe only record shops were rubbish, staffed by idiots, with no interest in actually finding good records for stock, and then overpricing the good things which they chanced upon. You have to pay for the good things about good record shops. I'll pay an extra ??10 for the convenience of buying the fucking thing in the old fashioned way sometimes, rather than staring at a computer like a office worker for 3 months in order to save ??10.

yeah it depends on the person, but I don't go record shopping to drop $50-$100 on one LP. I'm not saying record stores should go out of business instead, but a lot of places should learn that it might be better to get $30 for something on ebay than have it sit on your shelves for years with a $100 price tag.

No records in Detroit.

There was a Japanese dealer at my po-dunk flea market last weekend. Did they all just arrive for fall and are scouring the states? Seriously... dood sonned me on my own turf.

Might be one of the same guys... they buy every Ahmad Jamal record - god bless 'em!

re the ebay scourers, I'd say Chicago seems to have more of these - I've heard dudes hit up Dustygroove right as they put the stock out every evening!!

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    this is kind of where we are working to fit in. Between the boutique and the thrifts... We have a huge amounto backstock we haven't even put out yet, all that we are letting go low for the most part. We are actually working on set pricing in the store when we open just to keep things simpler for the collectors/dealers/producers. If we get it cheap, you get it cheap...

Its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.