SCORE (neighbors with records related)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
So my upstairs neighbor, an older dude named G*** has been asking me about recording his vinyl and whatnot. Eveybody in my building knows I DJ and that I have vinyl and I try to hit the older "grown & sexy" tenants of my apt building off with all my latest releases and shit. Anyway, so I told G*** that I would help him with the process of the transfer. So I just rolled up ther and dude's got a WALL of vinyl. He's getting rid of it all and out of curiosity I just pulled a random record out of the stack and it was some Barbara Acklin record that I never saw before. I know my man has got the goods. Anyway, I'm not even a vulture like that but it is a thing, dig? Would be cool to check some of his stacks. Anyway, I want to help hime make the transfers. He has a PC and I want to know the easiest way of transferring Vinyl to CD or to computer. What kind of interace/soundcard should he get? Probably the cheapest, dude isn't an audiophile, he just wants to listen to his stuff. Also, I guess he can get one of those cheap free recording programs like the Soundforge or something, right?Any good suggestions?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Audacity should work fine for recording and it is a free download. As far as soundcards go, not too sure about something on the cheap. This M-Audio Revolution 5.1 shouldn't be that bad.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    i dunno if the m audio has one but if its just a deck to a pc you need a phono preamp in the mix somewhere..soundforge is free if you dont mind doing something illegal. with a preamp you can get the shittest soundcard ever..

• The Maudio 2496 soundcard is going cheap at the moment and I have been using one for 3 years and it records really well.I run my decks thru my mixer to an amp then my sound card.
    Cool Edit Pro (adobe audition) is good for recording vinyl as it includes filters to remove Hiss/Pops/Clicks. i am sure it's kicking around for free on P2P.
    There are a lot of older folks out there who want to get rid of their vinyl but want some of them on cd. I put an ad in the local paper every week and when i buy from people I ask them if they want to do a deal i will record some of their records to cd for some free lps.I have picked up some good free lps and the customers appreciate me taking time to record their treasured lps

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dude is not "one of us." Dude doesn't need a real soundcard. He's not too concerned with dynamics, he just wants to record stuff. I'm thinking of soundcards/interfaces in the $50 range, like the Mac iMic that I used to use.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I completely forgot about that iMic shit. Dude should be set with that and Audacity or whatever recording software the iMic comes with if it works on a PC that is.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dude is not "one of us." Dude doesn't need a real soundcard. He's not too concerned with dynamics, he just wants to record stuff. I'm thinking of soundcards/interfaces in the $50 range, like the Mac iMic that I used to use.

does the iMic record decently? I was thinking of picking that up...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    everytime i used my imic, it had too much hiss/feedback noise, so i gave it away. is there something comparable for mac users these days? there's too much shit i'd like to transfer that just sits on the shelf, due to the fact that i don't know how.

• I thought this thread was going to be about the lady next door??

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    everytime i used my imic, it had too much hiss/feedback noise, so i gave it away. is there something comparable for mac users these days? there's too much shit i'd like to transfer that just sits on the shelf, due to the fact that i don't know how.

i've been in the same situation for about 3 years. anyone have a relatively cheap and simple solution for someone without technical proficiency in computerdom?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

This m-audio thing is $79, but I've never tested it out. I doubt the audio quality will be that much superior to the imic. The price difference between an imic ($40) vs the soundcard ($99) is not that big. If you're looking for an external usb or firewire soundcard option that is beyond the imic, it'll cost you double the soundcard at least. Don't be shook, the soundcard is very easy to work, as long as you have pci slots in your desktop you can just stick it in. Plus the audio quality is far superior to the usb external devices.

Lots of software for free to record for both pc's and macs that are very easy to use. No problems either way...

• snosno 332 Posts

$12 from Turntablelab:

"Griffin Turntable Connection Adaptor with Grounding

This useful adaptor lets you bypass the need for a mixer; and plug your turntable directly into a 3.5mm input which is found on most computers. The key feature here is the inclusion of grounding connection, which will eliminate electronic hum and feedback.

Its recommended usage is in conjunction with the Griffin Powerwave or iMic, but it will work with anything with a 3.5mm input. For higher quality recording, we recommend using this in conjunction with an interface (like the Griffin Powerwave, iMic, or M-Audio audio interface)"

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Alien,

Don't you have the M-audio Ozone? There is a line in on that which records beautifully.

-M

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Low-level Soundblasters are like $30 and sound great.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

$12 from Turntablelab:

This useful adaptor lets you bypass the need for a mixer; and plug your turntable directly into a 3.5mm input which is found on most computers. The key feature here is the inclusion of grounding connection, which will eliminate electronic hum and feedback.

Its recommended usage is in conjunction with the Griffin Powerwave or iMic, but it will work with anything with a 3.5mm input. For higher quality recording, we recommend using this in conjunction with an interface (like the Griffin Powerwave, iMic, or M-Audio audio interface)"

that's pretty decent looking. anyone use this?

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    You can get MAGIX AUDIO CLEANING LAB 2005.Its a recording program that can help you clean up records and tape and fix your D.J. MIXES.I picked it up on ebay.

• $12 from Turntablelab:

that's pretty decent looking. anyone use this?

I was looking at this yesterday. I think I am going to order it. Shit for 12 dollars if it sounds like ass I can just throw it away.

• i just got one of these,
    it's running usb, doesn't even go through a soundcard.
    i got it for 21 (30ish wih the shipping) so i was sceptical, but i made a mix with it last weekend, and it's sounding good to me...

here's where to cop...

http://www.vpi.us/usb-audio.html

gabo