Furthest You Travel For Records...

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
...on (or off) a regular basis. go.

Comments

• Brazil. Went last year, going again in January.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Tokyo. Go once or twice a year. Go there once or twice a year anyway, not just for records. Often get some dope music while I'm there.

• Options
    205 km in one day on my bike.

K.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    4000+ miles, from Helsinki to Philly (and then some)

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

K.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

K.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

K.

So you never get more records than you can carry on your bike, K?

• Options
    Those guys were all 45's, a backpack and 2 bags did the trick. I do sometimes solicit the help of a cab but prefer to do it all myself. If the weight is too much, I'll ride to subway station/Go Train and get close enough to ride home.

K.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    new york and toronto. from the uk

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    jersey to london, glasgow, edinburgh, dublin..and then back....

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    just curious... do you mean travel somewhere JUST to buy records and not sight see or do you mean both?

for me:

just records -

dig trip: sf fly to chicago, drive to indianapolis, through columbus, toledo, detroit, and then back to chicago. two weeks of just digging.

roundtrip: chicago

fun and records -

cross country: with Paychizzle from berkeley to danbury, ct.

• cross country: with Paychizzle from berkeley to danbury, ct.

• dig trip: sf fly to chicago, drive to indianapolis, through columbus, toledo, detroit, and then back to chicago. two weeks of just digging.

oof, nice. I'd be stopping at every steak n shake I saw tho....

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Just for records - DTW (Detroit) to ATL (Atlanta) - went on a flea market binge. Came home with a crate of essentials.

Have gone on flea market binges along I-75, all the way to Petoskey, MI. Start a 5am and get in Petoskey at 1am the next day.

Also... roadtrip to Ithaca, NY to pick up lil' sis from school. Made 4 stops for records.

I wish I could do it more often. Need a new ride first.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

Have gone on flea market binges along I-75, all the way to Petoskey, MI. Start a 5am and get in Petoskey at 1am the next day.

I have family in Petoskey. Beautiful little towns around there. Never found any records though!

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

I have family in Petoskey. Beautiful little towns around there. Never found any records though!
    I haven't either.
    A good friend of mine is from there. Her family throws these big bashes with tons of food, booze and fire. I don't gather that most of the indigenous folks up there would have a lot of records that a 'Strutter would want. Musically, all I noted was country and a few pop songs that people got into...

Now Traverse City on the other hand... I've found some joints there.
    An acquaintance of mine is working with Bob James out there on a hip-hop project. I'm slightly jealous, but happy for him... hopefully it's good. Sorry, that was random, but that region up there strikes a weird chord with me.

• me and my friend travled one summer from PA to CA stoppin at almost every record store we could find on the way.Shit was fuckin crazy.
    -vinyl fiend-

• When I moved back to DC from LA in 2000 I spent six days in a U-Haul making frequent stops for records. Vegas, Flagstaff, Amarillo, OKC, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, etc. Best places were an antique mall on the Oklahoma/Arkansas border which was full of early 80's hip-hop and electro and a pawn shop in Tennessee with a bunch or raers under the counter that had about an inch of dust on them but were otherwise mint.