homemade record cleaning devices...

spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
does anybody have any good methods for cleaning records.soulrez was telling me about a dude he knows who has some attachment for his powerdrill. i couldn't understand exactly how it worked, but it sounded like you hook the record up to some cleaning pads and turn on the drill. said even beat records came out playable.anyone want to share their techniques? ?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    A brush, a solution, and a rag. Works for me.

Solution = 3 parts distilled water, 1 part rubbing alcohol, 1 small drop dishwashing detergent.

People will disagree with this, but it has worked wonders for me.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    A brush, a solution, and a rag. Works for me.

Solution = 3 parts distilled water, 1 part rubbing alcohol, 1 small drop dishwashing detergent.

Cosign. And my brush is a soft-bristled toothbrush, for use only on those rilly moldy/muddy records that would be goners anyway.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i use about 80% distilled water and 20% denatured alcohol (get it from the hardware store)... leaves a nice shiny luster and does a good job cleaning.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    lately, when I have a real dirty record, I let water from the sink faucet run on it. Seems to get 'em cleaner than a rag. But, again, I only do this with filthy ones...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

Take a look at this. I think it's been posted before:

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

Peace

H

• This is invaluable info. Thanks, was wondering about trying to build a record cleaner for awhile...

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Where's Frank?

He had some recommendations on the funk45 board a while back.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    denatured alcohol
    this shit's kinda rugged, I'd stick to isuprophyl

• BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts
    denatured alcohol
    this shit's kinda rugged, I'd stick to isuprophyl

isopropyl is good, but there shouldn't be too much of it. the alcohol's only there to facilitate evaporation of the solution.

• I crank the weight on tonearm as heavy as it will go, switch the speed to 78 (45 at +10 if ya got one of those), and let that mother fly for a whole side. Knock's the dirt right outta those grooves. If it's really dirty I might spit on the grungier spots.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Air Conpressor with sand does the trick! Well maybe not the sand but good old air works wonders....

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    does anybody have any good methods for cleaning records.

soulrez was telling me about a dude he knows who has some attachment for his powerdrill. i couldn't understand exactly how it worked, but it sounded like you hook the record up to some cleaning pads and turn on the drill. said even beat records came out playable.

it's complicated to esplain' but it works better than anything i've ever seen used...