dancehall/reggae

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
what's new and good? where can I go on-line to check out whats new and good? thanks!I got that "jamrock, the Lil' Kim "Lighters" the Sean Paul "We Burnin'" but I want to know more about what's out now! Also lets get a run down of the best riddims ever going, that would be cool.

Comments

• the Sean Paul "We Burnin'"

I'm also interested in the answers to Karlito's question, but i must say that while i'm not one to shy away from the more commercial dancehall tracks, this is straight CRAP.

shame on you, seandepaul....

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    yeah it's not that hot, see why I need more.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I dig it Ok, but it does pale in comparison to 'Get Busy' or 'Like Glue'. My wife is my measure for how well it will work with club chicks, and she was disapointed. She liked that new Shaggy track w/Olivia better. I forgot the name of that track.

Karlito, the Reggae Gold 2005 2LP set is pretty good, w/ that Sasha track 'Coca Cola Shape' w/Fatman Scoop(which is a few months old now) being my fave. Always good for a few hot tracks.

• yeah it's not that hot, see why I need more.

I dig it Ok, but it does pale in comparison to 'Get Busy' or 'Like Glue'. My wife is my measure for how well it will work with club chicks, and she was disapointed. She liked that new Shaggy track w/Olivia better. I forgot the name of that track.

Come on, now. Y'all are hattin' on the STEPZ riddim? That was one of the biggest jams of 2004. Too bad they didn't let Sean P get on it until recently. The biggest song on that riddim is Assassin "Idiot Thing Dat." Everything that dude touches is great.

But the real shame is that Sean had recorded all those same lyrics on the much newer/hotter BUBBLE UP riddim produced by Steven "Lenky" Marsden (of diwali fame). Check that one out.

And the Shaggy and Olivia track is called "Wild Tonite." I've heard several tracks from his new record and it's surprisingly good. He worked with Steely and Cleavie on lots of it.

I'm not hattin' on it, I like it ok it's just not super duper. I was hoping you would get in on this descusion. Where can I go out in the interwebs to keep my finger on this stuff? ebreggae is the shit but there are no sound clips and I can't really just buy a bunch of shit blind. So it's like if TTL doesn't have it up w/ a clip I don't know where to go. and TTL is kinda late on their reggae shit I think.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Come on, now. Y'all are hattin' on the STEPZ riddim? That was one of the biggest jams of 2004. Too bad they didn't let Sean P get on it until recently. The biggest song on that riddim is Assassin "Idiot Thing Dat." Everything that dude touches is great.

But the real shame is that Sean had recorded all those same lyrics on the much newer/hotter BUBBLE UP riddim produced by Steven "Lenky" Marsden (of diwali fame). Check that one out.

And the Shaggy and Olivia track is called "Wild Tonite." I've heard several tracks from his new record and it's surprisingly good. He worked with Steely and Cleavie on lots of it.

Speaking of Shaggy, can I drop "It wasn't Me" in the club yet? Has it come full circle? I love that song, but it was certainly in the 'played out' bin for quite a while once he went supernova mainstream success with that back at the turn of the century. I will try it and report back.

• I'm not hattin' on it, I like it ok it's just not super duper. I was hoping you would get in on this descusion. Where can I go out in the interwebs to keep my finger on this stuff? ebreggae is the shit but there are no sound clips and I can't really just buy a bunch of shit blind.

You can listen to clips at soundquake.com and reggaestore.de (both excellent German sites).

But you should order from Ernie 'cause schipping von Deutschland ist eine Schickse.

So it's like if TTL doesn't have it up w/ a clip I don't know where to go. and TTL is kinda late on their reggae shit I think.

They get their reggae stuff in plenty of time for the US market and DEFINITELY in plenty of time for their target demographic. Just ask Robert Nesta Bannister! [pleeeeze start reviewing reggae, S***n!]

• TTL is kinda late on their reggae shit I think.

i disagree - they've had every crossover 12" early, most of if not all the big rhythms on 7" long before the compilation LPs came out, plus stuff like "ganja planter" that is huge in JA and local carribean parties but still far from cracking mainstream radar.

its not a secret that the best place for dancehall and reggae online is still www.ebreggae.com - but they don't have soundclips, so you have to get a little creative with it and google some dancehall charts/playlists and listen to shows on BBC or whatever to get a grasp of what sounds good and what songs are popular.

• (or what ross said)

• i got some snow

• i got some snow

haven't you heard? Gentleman is the new Snow.

But on the serious: Snow "Dance Alone" on the Massive B relick of Tempo is killer.

• stuff like "ganja planter" that is huge in JA and local carribean parties but still far from cracking

that's on my new mix:

SNEAK PREVIEW (thanks Tsega!):

And yes, TTLab will have a few copies.

that design is sweet!

• that design is sweet!

Thanks Asprin!

• ElexElex 22 Posts
    Here is an 'intro to reggae in 2005' list for any and all interested parties. The following is a list of artists who warrant attention and praise and aren't just hype machines chomping at the cash teet that is pop music stardom.

I-Wayne
    Damien "Jr. Gong" Marley
    Richie Spice
    Jah Cure
    Turbulence
    Jah Mason
    Fanton Mojah
    Buju Banton
    Sizzla
    Anthony B
    Capelton
    Chezidek
    Bascom X
    Chuck Fender
    Tanya Stephens
    Natty King
    Perfect
    Lutan Fiyah
    George Nooks
    Luciano
    Junior Kelly...

and let's just call that a primer. I'm hoping others will chime in with other notable acts whom I neglected to include. I will admit, and in fact, note, that almost all of these artists are 'new roots' artists, but they are in fact the people responsible for carrying the reggae torch on into the future at the moment. While the ten zillion and fifty current dancehall/ragga deejays who turn out new material at an alarming rate are by no means relegated to unimportant status in my book, they might not be appreciated by the "SeanPaulisLameasUfck" crowd which seems to be the prevailing element on the board here (on that note, please go to a wall to wall true to the teeth dancehall one night, and try to maintain your composure as every fine woman in the spot floods the dancefloor to wine' somethin' serious everytime SeanDePaul pumps through the speakers) At any rate....

It's nice to see dancehall catching some burn here on The 'strut.

• ElexElex 22 Posts

p.s. I haven't heard this mix, but based on the tracklisting, the big homie's got most of the bases covered here. I'd be interested to hear this jernt. Big up for being up on game. Design is sharp too, meng.

• TTL is kinda late on their reggae shit I think.

i disagree - they've had every crossover 12" early, most of if not all the big rhythms on 7" long before the compilation LPs came out, plus stuff like "ganja planter" that is huge in JA and local carribean parties but still far from cracking mainstream radar.

its not a secret that the best place for dancehall and reggae online is still www.ebreggae.com - but they don't have soundclips, so you have to get a little creative with it and google some dancehall charts/playlists and listen to shows on BBC or whatever to get a grasp of what sounds good and what songs are popular.

Say word..... Ernie's is teh rael!! ) Free catalog and shit and his re-ish booties are unfuckwittable.

He has store on eBay as well.

~Crates

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Bit off topic, but any Chicago cats know if the Deadly Dragon Sound System still put on shows? Guys spinning those shows had people soaking up their shits and ladies shaking it like they gots to. Miss it much!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yada yada yada, can we talk about something that really matters, like the Sirene Riddim?!!!

• And yes, TTLab will have a few copies.

Street date plaese Ross.

• And yes, TTLab will have a few copies.

Street date plaese Ross.

'bout two weeks? A little less, maybe.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    paypal orders?

• paypal pre[/b]-orders?

Indeed. I have PMs?

yada yada yada, can we talk about something that really matters, like the Sirene Riddim?!!!
    see this is the kind of firey suggestion I'm talkin about! Is said riddim new roots or faster dancehall? or neither?

• yada yada yada, can we talk about something that really matters, like the Sirene Riddim?!!!
    see this is the kind of firey suggestion I'm talkin about! Is said riddim new roots or faster dancehall? or neither?

117 bpm of pure bashment with a Quincy Jones "Ironsides" sample!

it's officialy on the list then

after having done some research today I can recomend the following "new" riddims (they all have 2005 dates at ernie b's.)

RAYBEEZ
    ROSE GOLD
    SHAMROCK
    SQUAREDANCE (this one sounds just like you think it would )

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    i've been playing these a lot in the club:

Richie Spice - Youths so Cold (Truth and Rights)
    Sizzla - Give Me a Try (Give Me a Try)
    TOK - Foot Prints (Drop Leaf)
    Sean Paul - We Be Burning (Stepz)
    Assasin - Idiot Thing Dat (Stepz)
    Assasin - As a Man (Sleepy Dog)
    Elephant Man - Father Elephant (Kopa)
    Jamesy P & Elephant Man - Nookie Remix (Nookie)
    Turbulence - Notorious (Scallawah)
    PLUG ONE:
    I Wayne - Can't Satisfy Her (Cosmo Baker Soundbwoy Buriel Remix from the new Rub CD)

i know, this is all crossover stuff but i tend to play it safe with reggae. i'm definitely gonna get up on the tunes in this thread

PLUG TWO

10.Deep Vol 7: Sun Lovers
    Mixed by DJ Ayres

1. Intro
    2. Jah Mason - Princess Gawn
    3. Warrior King ??? Never Go Where Pagans Go
    4. Sizzla ??? Kings of the Earth
    Hard Times Riddim
    5. Bas Com X ??? Lonely Heart
    6. Capleton ??? That Day Will Come
    7. Chuck Fenda ??? Jah is Worthy
    Fifth Element Riddim
    8. Chuck Fenda ??? I Swear
    9. Richie Spice - Marijuana
    10. Sizzla ??? For You
    Doctor???s Darling Riddim
    11. Sizzla ??? Pure Love
    12. Tanya Stephens ??? It???s A Pity
    13. VC ??? By His Deeds
    14. Bushman ??? Fire Bun A Weak Heart
    15. Dennis Brown ??? Problem
    16. I Wayne ??? Can???t Satisfy Her
    Hard Drugs Riddim
    17. Richie Spice - Operation Kingfish
    18. Buju Banton & Anthony Cruz - Too Blood
    Cure Riddim
    19. Sizzla ??? Show the Interest
    20. Seeed ??? Release
    21. Tanya Stephens ??? Need You Tonight
    22. Cecile ??? Rude Bwoy Thug Life
    Military Riddim
    23. Assasin - Step Pon Dem
    24. Bounty Killer - Warlord Walk
    25. Kiprich - Baby Song
    26. Beenie Man - Bun Judas
    Stepz Riddim
    27. Assassin - Idiot Ting Dat
    28. Wayne Marshall ??? King Pin
    29. Elephant Man ??? Pakistan (Stepz)
    Blackout Riddim
    30. Sean Paul ??? Bounce It Right There
    31. Vybez Cartel ??? Real Deal
    32. Tami ??? I
    Kopa Riddim
    33. Akon & Kardinal ??? We Kill the Dance
    34. Elephant Man ??? Ele Medley
    35. Capleton ??? Who You Callin Nigger
    Applause Riddim
    36. Sean Paul - Temperature
    37. TOK - Imposter
    38. Capleton - Stray Bullet
    39. Elephant Man - Hurr
    Bionic Ras Riddim
    40. Beenie Man - It Tight
    41. Sizzla - Spring Break
    42. Vybz Kartel - Goodas
    43. Capleton - Long Time
    44. Vybez Kartel ??? Picture (Meez Remix)
    45. Turbulence ??? Notorious
    46. Damien "Jr Gong" Marley - Welcome to Jamrock
    47. Ini Kamoze - World a Music
    48. Richie Spice Earth a Run Red
    49. Jah Cure - Jah Bless Me
    Sun is Shining Riddim
    50. Richie Spice & Chuck Fender - Freedom
    51. Sizzla - I Got To
    52. Abijah - Sun is Shining
    53. Bob Marley ??? Sun Is Shining

MP3 of tracks 2-6: http://www.djayres.com/MP3/TenDeep7Snippet1.mp3
    MP3 of tracks 40-43 (Bionic Ras riddim): http://itstherub.com/music/Bionic%20Ras%20DJ%20Ayres%20Juggle%20192.mp3

you can get it at turntablelab or at http://www.djayres.com/mixtapes/mixtapes.htm