All my anal strutters put your hands in the air

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
OK, you do know that a poorly setup cartridge/needle destroys records, right? So, with all the talk about raers, $$$$$$$ records, etc, how come nobody's talking about aligment protractor, turntable level, azymuth, tracking force and blah? Am I the only anal strutter?

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

dont buy a vestax

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    aligment protractor, turntable level, azymuth

What are these things, and are they raer?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You play your records?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Don't laugh, you are all killing raers. Don't you hear their silence screams?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    You play your records?

Only the common stuff, my raers are ziplocked and in the freezer.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Don't laugh, you are all killing raers. Don't you hear their silence screams?

I know, Anthony Pearson tried to scare us about this before. I do brush the gunk off my needle now. Hey, it's a start!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I know, Anthony Pearson tried to scare us about this before. I do brush the gunk off my needle now. Hey, it's a start!

There wouldn't be gunk on your needle if you clean your records first.

"Why, oh, why do you let these people kill the ones they love?"

• I still keep the dustcover on my record player.

I still keep the dustcover on my record player.

That's dedication.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I still keep the dustcover on my record player.

That's dedication.

A labour of love.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I hope the 83 views in 5 minutes are not related to the word "anal" in the title

dont buy a vestax

i am serious

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I hope the 83 views in 5 minutes are not related to the word "anal" in the title

I'm cold busted.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I clean my slipmats from time to time.

• I clean my slipmats from time to time.

You should see a doctor about this behavior.

I always handle my wax by the sides. Always.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I would handle your avatar by the sides

I would handle your avatar by the sides

• I calibrate my table's tracking force with only 2 grams pressure.
    Keep all the wax clean.
    Other than that anal audiophiles can get lost leave the protractors to these guys

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

dont buy a vestax

i am serious

I'm sorry I bought a vestax. The balance has shifted really hard to the left on mine. I now have to adjust the master balance to correct for it because everything plays MUCH louder over the left channel. POS. Time to upgrade to a Rane.

• So, with all the talk about raers, how come nobody's talking about azymuth?

Word, these guys made some decent records that I had been snoozing on for too long. Dollarbinraer but I've recently come around to their early 80's Brazilian/Funk/Electro fusion.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    While everyone is making jokes where can I get some knowledge about setting up my tables proper like.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    A little off topic but..

I just read some ish where Evil Dee said it is best to clean records with Rubbing alcohol and toilet paper. I've used the rubbing alc. but Anyone clean their records with toilet paper? I would think it would leave fuzzies all over the vinyl and in effect on your needles..Anyone got any feedback..I mean Dude should know

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    A little off topic but..

I just read some ish where Evil Dee said it is best to clean records with Rubbing alcohol and toilet paper. I've used the rubbing alc. but Anyone clean their records with toilet paper? I would think it would leave fuzzies all over the vinyl and in effect on your needles..Anyone got any feedback..I mean Dude should know

That would be like treating your records like shit

Buy a record cleaning brush. Also avoid rubbing alcohol, use isoprophyl alcohol + distilled water ( 1/4 ALCOHOL + 3/4 ALCOHOL)

• A little off topic but..

Buy a record cleaning brush. Also avoid rubbing alcohol, use isoprophyl alcohol + distilled water ( 1/4 ALCOHOL + 3/4 ALCOHOL)

Aren't "rubbing alcohol" and isopropyl alcohol the same thing????

A little off topic but..

I thought so too. Yeah, avoid using straight alcohol, unless you wanna trash your wax.

• Fuck. My Come Clean 12" got this kinda treatment 2 days ago. Played it on my friends bent needle and when I got it off the turntable I seen that thewax grooves got darker

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I think "Rubbing Alcohol" is generally isopropyl alcohol in a 40 to 70% concentration with distilled water AND a rubifacent such as glycerine or camphor.

You don't want glycerine or camphor on your records, though they may smell nice.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    [( 1/4 ALCOHOL + 3/4 ALCOHOL)

Is one of those parts supposed to be water?