yet another post about MOVIES

2»

Comments

• i agree, that movie was pure cheese especially the ending

break out the champagne and let loose the flying pigs - we agree!

thats nice and all but you still have that disturbing hatred of pug puppies

"Well fuck Canada too"[/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the history of violence

5 stars

cronenberg is my dawg

Hello,
    I really want to see this film. But I thought Spider was very disappointing. How do they compare? Your thoughts please.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i agree, that movie was pure cheese especially the ending

ick. so cute and so ugly at the same time. who allowed such a thing to happen?

• i agree, that movie was pure cheese especially the ending

ick. so cute and so ugly at the same time. who allowed such a thing to happen?

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Yesterday I finally got to see:

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Who else is excited about seeing this:

Don't front. You know that shit will be fresh!

good call. going to that with my niece and nephew...

8 years in the making or something like that.

In terms of the W & G being around since then, or that's how long it took to make the movie?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

and I finally peeped the Korean joint "Old Boy." highly overrated. some cool shots but built mostly on shock value.

You reckon? That hallway scene was right off the richter.

Maybe Kim Ki-Duk's realistically depressing, yet ultra-violently agro pimping BAD GUY is more your speed.

To say I like Ki-Duk would be the understatement of the year. He's in my current top 3 along with Haneke. His films are all fire!!! HWAL blew me away, even thought it left my friend out in the cold...lol

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

ive been going to the National Film Board a lot lately. Arthur Lipsett's 21-87 and Very Nice, Very Nice are essential viewing. 21-87 almost made me cry

Can you elaborate? Do they let you screen film?

• I'm waiting for this...the 1st of the trilogy...

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/nwnd/

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    is capote out yet?

not sure. sounds amazing though, from the reviews I've read.

That voice is like nails on chalkboard though. I understand that is it's accurate and all...but still. Don't know if I can listen to that annoying tinney voice for 2 + hours.

i saw a screening of 'capote' at lacma. i'd definitely recommend seeing it. it's a unique solid film. needless to say, the acting was spectacular...

these are two of my favorite actors. phillip's voice in the film was distracting for the first minute, but you quickly grwo accustomed. caesar from 187 (clifton collins jr) played perry smith, one of the murderers and object of truman's affection and infatuation. he may have stole the show...

one of the best parts of the screening was the q&a afterwards... the writer, director, catherine, phillip, and clifton were all there. some questions were good, most were embarrassing and it was awkward to have to sit thru the casts' responses. after several of these uncomfortable moments (to phillip: "as truman, what was the motivation to have your nails dirty?")... a guy in the audience asks phil sey hoff "why do you think capote never wrote another novel after 'in cold blood?'"
    he responds: "well... um... really? that was what the whole film was about? maybe you guys need to watch it again!"

HAHAHA! what a prickish and funny response to a thoughtless question.

• To say I like Ki-Duk would be the understatement of the year. He's in my current top 3 along with Haneke. His films are all fire!!! HWAL blew me away, even thought it left my friend out in the cold...lol

Now I'm no expert on Ki-Duk, but all his films are definitely not fire. I just saw 3-Iron (which I think European critics voted as film of the year?!), and I thought it was corny. The ending? PLEASE, I left the theater laughing. (Still 3/5 though.) And another recent film of his, The Bow, isn't supposed to be the best film either. Film Comment I think said it was "the laughing-stock of Cannes" and I've read a bunch of extremely negative reviews for it.

And yes, Old Boy is dope, and Sympathy for Mr Vengance is probably even better (yeah, the left wing stuff was sorta far-fetched, but so what). Joint Security Area is the weakest (and to a westerner, the most unambitious) in the trilogy, but is still definitely worth watching.

As for movies I've seen recently and recommend:

Ilya Khrzhanovsky's Chetyre (4)-- I don't think this has distribution anywhere yet, so I guess your best bet is to catch it a film festival or something. Extremely ambitious film about modern Russia that is probably one of the most "physical", in-your-face movies I've ever seen.

Brothers-- a Danish melodrama that has a pretty banal story on paper, but the execution is top-notch all the way through. Great acting, great ending shot.

Pusher 1 & 2-- films by Nicolas Winding Refn, again Danish, parts of a trilogy; the first one (about ten years old?) is a brutal depiction of a mid-level drug dealing, the second one is a bit more subtle, yet equally gripping and tough. Superb characters. Definitely worth seeking out.

Crash, like others here, I wasn't feeling. Ehh all around. Another film with the always expressive Matt Dillon, Factotum, is better, but I don't think fans of Bukowski can be totally satisified with it.

Broken Flowers, which has been discussed here previously, was dope, yet I felt something was missing. Bill Murray does a fantastic job, but maybe I expect too much from Jarmusch to be 100% content with something that isn't for him. And that teen actor at the end was just bad to me.

Mysterious Skin-- not a perfect film, but the approach is commendable and I don't think many directors would have made a better film with the script (i.e. novel).

I guess that's enough for now.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I'm waiting for this...the 1st of the trilogy...

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/nwnd/

I was expecting something a little darker but it was still a decent film. The first movie is more of a setup so I'm hoping the second will be a bit better. I think it comes out later this year. I'm pretty sure the filming is done already. As long as they don't make the third an English film, I'll be ok. If they do, it'll be a joke. I can't have a trilogy with all new actors in the last chapter...lol

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

Now I'm no expert on Ki-Duk, but all his films are definitely not fire. I just saw 3-Iron (which I think European critics voted as film of the year?!), and I thought it was corny. The ending? PLEASE, I left the theater laughing. (Still 3/5 though.) And another recent film of his, The Bow, isn't supposed to be the best film either. Film Comment I think said it was "the laughing-stock of Cannes" and I've read a bunch of extremely negative reviews for it.

I can't disagree with this, although the reason many people haven't given HWAL the praise it deserves is because most people don't seem to have understood the ending. Honestly. It seems like Ki-Duk is 100% hit or miss. You love him, or you hate him with a passion. lol. I'm not the smartest guy on the block, but my take on HWAL is people didn't understand it. I liked 3-iron. I know most Ki-Duk films are a bit much at times, but for some reason I've taken to them......

And yes, Old Boy is dope, and Sympathy for Mr Vengance is probably even better (yeah, the left wing stuff was sorta far-fetched, but so what). Joint Security Area is the weakest (and to a westerner, the most unambitious) in the trilogy, but is still definitely worth watching.

JSA isn't part of the trilogy? It's not even the same theme? But on a side note it's also being remade for America BTW:

As for the other movies, I'm with you on Pusher and Mysterious Skin. I've seen the trilogy for Pusher and liked it. If you liked Pusher, you might want to check this out. One of the better drug abuse movie's in a while;

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

mediocre at best. luda was good though. sorta.

i agree, that movie was pure cheese especially the ending

Am I the only one who liked this movie? I mean, it wasn't five stars or anything but def worth seeing.

Lately I can't get enough of

and

Ben Kingley and Serge Lopez' performances are both

• I can't disagree with this, although the reason many people haven't given HWAL the praise it deserves is because most people don't seem to have understood the ending. Honestly. It seems like Ki-Duk is 100% hit or miss. You love him, or you hate him with a passion. lol. I'm not the smartest guy on the block, but my take on HWAL is people didn't understand it. I liked 3-iron. I know most Ki-Duk films are a bit much at times, but for some reason I've taken to them......

JSA isn't part of the trilogy? It's not even the same theme? But on a side note it's also being remade for America BTW:

As for the other movies, I'm with you on Pusher and Mysterious Skin. I've seen the trilogy for Pusher and liked it. If you liked Pusher, you might want to check this out. One of the better drug abuse movie's in a while;

Oh Hwal=The Bow? My bad, I didn't know that. Anyway, to Ki-Duk's credit, he does make a lot of films, so being hit or miss is at least somehow understandable, but making suspect movies kinda makes me doubt his artistic abilities. I might like a film of his here and there, but for me to consider him a "great" director, he needs to get more consistent real quick.

And what was I thinking, JSA is not a part of the trilogy. American remake though? Where will it be set? The Canadian border?

And thanks, I'll keep an eye out for Nordkraft.

• Voms72Voms72 18 Posts
    Cut me and i'll cut you back....

And I can't wait to see this asap

"The Proposition" Nick Cave's pen to paper effort.