Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Damn, Respect...

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Damn, yeah. Word. Do the hustle.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    "Drink champagne when I hustle, Drink champagne with Nipsey Russell."

• You know the epitaph on his tombstone is going to be off the chain.

• He held it down like no other on Hollywood Squares...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    He held it down like no other on Hollywood Squares...

RIP

• He held it down like no other on Match Game...

Adios funny man....

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    He held it down like no other in...

Rest in Peace.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    He held it down like no other on Match Game...

Adios funny man....

Lar, on one of the excursions to NYC area the old band made, we were outside in Manhattan somewhere uptown at a phonebooth, when Nipsy Russel walks by. Dan screams "Nipsy Russel!! We love you man!! How about a poem?!"

Nipsy doesn't break stride, but turns with a huge smile and yells "Thank You! Thank you very much!" and keeps walkin!

Nipsy, we love you, man!
    Keep rhyming into the light!

• He held it down like no other on Match Game...

Adios funny man....

Lar, on one of the excursions to NYC area the old band made, we were outside in Manhattan somewhere uptown at a phonebooth, when Nipsy Russel walks by. Dan screams "Nipsy Russel!! We love you man!! How about a poem?!"

Nipsy doesn't break stride, but turns with a huge smile and yells "Thank You! Thank you very much!" and keeps walkin!

Nipsy, we love you, man!
    Keep rhyming into the light!

I wish I had a Nipsey Russell anecdote.....

I may be the only person here old enough to remember, but in the early to mid 70's he was a regular on this wierd game show calle "Masquerade Party', where celebrities came out in disguise and you had to guess from clues on their costume who they were. The host always had Nipsey lead off with a poem...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Nipsey Russell. Now that's a piece of black showbiz now gone, along with Slappy White, Pigmeat Markham, Moms Mabley, Redd Foxx and countless others. Damn. I believe Rudy Ray Moore and Jimmy Lynch the Funky Tramp are all that's left, unless anyone knows the whereabouts of others (Skillet & Leroy?).

• Nipsey Russell. Now that's a piece of black showbiz now gone, along with Slappy White, Pigmeat Markham, Moms Mabley, Redd Foxx and countless others. Damn. I believe Rudy Ray Moore and Jimmy Lynch the Funky Tramp are all that's left, unless anyone knows the whereabouts of others (Skillet & Leroy?).

What? No love for the Wayans brothers?????

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Nipsey Russell. Now that's a piece of black showbiz now gone, along with Slappy White, Pigmeat Markham, Moms Mabley, Redd Foxx and countless others. Damn. I believe Rudy Ray Moore and Jimmy Lynch the Funky Tramp are all that's left, unless anyone knows the whereabouts of others (Skillet & Leroy?).

To quote Darrow Igus (the Black Guy on Fridays) - "NO, NO, NOOOOO NO!"

• Nipsey Russell. Now that's a piece of black showbiz now gone, along with Slappy White, Pigmeat Markham, Moms Mabley, Redd Foxx and countless others. Damn. I believe Rudy Ray Moore and Jimmy Lynch the Funky Tramp are all that's left, unless anyone knows the whereabouts of others (Skillet & Leroy?).

To quote Darrow Igus (the Black Guy on Fridays) - "NO, NO, NOOOOO NO!"

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    Awwww no... R.I.P.

Used to watch him on "What's My Line?" The Poet Laureate of Television.

• nytimes obit had interesting data about his reading habits...dude started reading things like homer and shelley and keats at 10, and was known to walk around quoting chaucer...

• Nipsey Russell. Now that's a piece of black showbiz now gone, along with Slappy White, Pigmeat Markham, Moms Mabley, Redd Foxx and countless others.

don't forget Flip! talk about

maybe the vanity plate means it's more like ....