OG Check (I think I got got!! Arghhh!)

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I shouldn't be messing with this dude anyways but I went against better judgement and copped a copy of Dyson's Faces on DMC (pink cover) from this very irreputable dealer. Now, it was sealed and he wouldn't let me open it. Fine. Got it home and it isn't a teppan sleeve (uh-oh). I open it up and it has no vigible signs of aging, smells new BUT the sleeve inside is printed with the photos etc. If it is a boot it is one of abnormal care. It says "Made In Canada" which could explain it not being a teppan but I swear I can see pixelation on the cover, a very un-70's thing to have in the artwork. Does anyone have a sure original and can give me the runout matrix or any thing that might distinctly prove one way or the other so I can either feel happy in my purchase or go ring his f-ing neck. does anyone know if this got re-ished recently? This is giving me a headache. I'm hoping that

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Describe the shrink wrap. Was there a one-inch overlapping seam across the middle of the back? Then, uh-oh.

• No there wasn't actually. It was shrinked in the old style. right down the side. It's wierd; I used to take pride on my ability to spot a repop a mile away but this one has got me right in the huh? Internet didn't turn up any info other than someone in Eu having a "nice reissue" of this. The printing on the inner sleeve has got me really confused. Who would take the time to do this. The record is NOT that good.
    Has anyone seen this for sale anywhere? The label sure looks real alright...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There was also a more recent (French?) reissue of Dyson's Faces, but it was their second LP, the one with the blue cover. I don't know about any boots of their first on DMC, but it seems that it was reissued properly two years (or so) after the DMC issue on the Dy-Rich label (as DRL 76731) around the time of their second LP, which was also on Dy-Rich (as DRL 10017).

Hope this helps.

• Thanks for the info.. I was hoping someone on the Strut had an actual copy of the record they were sure was original and could verify the info for me... Anyone, Bueller?

No one has this record? Theres a break on it you know

• Doesn't nate or somebody have this?

• Traded mine years ago. I remember it being ca-ca, although these days I don't even like the records I traded it for.

• I had the pink one and the second LP, the blue one. I accidently got rid of both a long while back, not something I would do again. Both were OG, I'm from the DC area and got um from storage unit backstock. Unfortunately I don't have matrix's ;(

• Ok, now I'm going ot be mad if it isn't real. Either it's SUPER rare or it sucks ass and that's why nobody has it. I think it is but I've seen dudes floss far worse. Who would bother to re-issue it with the paper sleeve reprinted as well. I'll be damned if it looks real though. So so strange... the saga continues.

Do those of you who had it remember if it was on a cardboard printed on new style jacket (printing direct to the white cardboard sleeve) or if it was a teppan, you know paper wrap, with the printing on the paper and then wrapped around two sheets of cardboard?

I apologize now to the rest of the strut for making such a big deal about this but I got a little money at stake here and I want to go back and buss dude if he tried to cheat me by passing off a reissue as a real one.

• Ok, now I'm going ot be mad if it isn't real. Either it's SUPER rare or it sucks ass and that's why nobody has it. I think it is but I've seen dudes floss far worse. Who would bother to re-issue it with the paper sleeve reprinted as well. I'll be damned if it looks real though. So so strange... the saga continues.

Do those of you who had it remember if it was on a cardboard printed on new style jacket (printing direct to the white cardboard sleeve) or if it was a teppan, you know paper wrap, with the printing on the paper and then wrapped around two sheets of cardboard?

I apologize now to the rest of the strut for making such a big deal about this but I got a little money at stake here and I want to go back and buss dude if he tried to cheat me by passing off a reissue as a real one.

i don't even know that record. who was the seller ? recism ? archandd ?

• I got it at the swap on Sunday.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I got it at the swap on Sunday.

"Thes, i swear to you its an original... Im doing a movie/book deal with the artist, i got it out of the personal collection"

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    the program???

• Now you know why I am so gawd damn frustrated. I am going to send this one back to the program.

• Have you tried www.popsike.com So what's up with that EP.

• First place I tried. he's getting it for you. I'll pm you when I get ready to mail it..

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    If it makes you feel any better, the OG came out in 1975 (I believe). It was also in limited release. Both are excellent candidates for the cheaper, simpler, lighter cardboard sleeve.

I won't add more info to this thread, though, because I don't have the OG.
    Good luck with all this.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Somebody turned up a gang of them from a warehouse, I remember seeing them at FMU last year with a ton of "African Rhythms", that blue cover latin-funk joint by Azucar (I think?), and a bunch of other equally rare/odd sealed joints. Mustapha was that day, but I was scratching my head at some of the pressings myself.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    Who would bother to re-issue it with the paper sleeve reprinted as well. I'll be damned if it looks real though. So so strange... the saga continues.

it was a big one in japan some years back and that's where it was reissued too.

as quo said, last fall dude at fmu was selling multiple copies of both the og as well as the japanese reissue.

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts

The copy I have:

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Somebody turned up a gang of them from a warehouse, I remember seeing them at FMU last year with a ton of "African Rhythms", that blue cover latin-funk joint by Azucar (I think?), and a bunch of other equally rare/odd sealed joints. Mustapha was that day, but I was scratching my head at some of the pressings myself.

Quo (and Thes)

these are not real.

they are not a "warehouse" find they are bootlegs.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Mustapha

seeing him at your spot is like...