continuing the big band explorations.Woody Herman

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
...........a bandleader from the 30's doing eddie harris covers ? what's your favourite set from the fantasy years ?

Comments

• ...........a bandleader from the 30's doing eddie harris covers ?

what's your favourite set from the CADET[/b] years ?

• Post deleted by Strider79it

• whatever

• Woody Herman kicks ass. I like that funky big band sound, although I know there are those that can do without. I remember Motown saying that he has grown out of that sound. But yeah, dude was killing it there for a while.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

...........a bandleader from the 30's doing eddie harris covers ?

Heavy Exposure

• ...........a bandleader from the 30's doing eddie harris covers ?

Heavy Exposure

cmon avoid the OBVIOUS choices....
    ...please some more "fantasy" in your choices.....

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

...please some more "fantasy" in your choices.....

this is the only one I know but it's got some good covers on it

Anyone have a spare sleeve?!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

what's your favourite set from the fantasy years ?

'light my fire'. nice covers for sure.. but 'raven speaks' is the heater of the heat. easy to find too!

• Now we're talkin...........so if you should pick one........

or[/b]

?????????????

I already have this....
    and I recommend to not sleep on the title track

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    check out les hooper for some heat as well.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    big band is but Woody Herman has some l00ps

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Woody Herman has some OK releases, most of which have already been mentioned.

As far as big band playing Soul-Jazz or Funk goes, it's mostly kinda eh. There are some good tracks, but overall, you lose the bottom end in the recordings with all the brass and hence its funkiness IMO. There are plenty of exceptions, but it's not something that I'm currently looking for these days.

• Woody Herman has some OK releases, most of which have already been mentioned.

As far as big band playing Soul-Jazz or Funk goes, it's mostly kinda eh. There are some good tracks, but overall, you lose the bottom end in the recordings with all the brass and hence its funkiness IMO. There are plenty of exceptions, but it's not something that I'm currently looking for these days.

Oh I have a different point of view ......I look at the several layers of brass roaring in a big band as something that CAN give a 3rd dimension to sometimes flat bassline and rhythm patterns that often recurs in funk

but if you think these were aging band leaders that used to play VERY different music 20, 30 years earlier and when trying to update their sound .....of course they didn't have the same approach of Ohio Players.........

most of the time I suppose they asked young, emerging jazz musicians to write new charts with an eye to the contemporary "market".......

Still I think some of the results were brilliant and once for all I don't think that loops are a good "meter" to judge a record ..........

and isn' ing to listen a fascist like buddy rich playing cover versions of "fight the power" ????

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    That's funny someone would mention Woody Herman, we were just contracted to remix "Mambo Herd".. There is some mean drums on that piece, too bad they sound like they were recorded under water.. We ended up having all the horns re-done and just did our own drums for the remix.