Latin Disco

2»

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    also by charanga 76:
    good times
    ain't no stopping us now

What's the deal with Charanga 76 anyway? I just found a medley 12" of theirs (Good Times is on there, but I don't remember Ain't No Stoppin). Was Charanga 76 an actual group or were they a Disco Net type of operation?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

btw, who remembers the name of the late 70s fania album with the ill heatwave "mind blowing decisions" cover?

Think you're talking about Jimmy Sabater.
    Either `Gusto` or `Hijo de Theresa`.

The latter Sabater title is a circa 1970 release on Tico--I can't name all of the song titles off the top of my head, but it doesn't sound like the one he has in mind. Dope record, though.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Does anybody find it funny that there's lots of shit listed in this thread which is neither A)Latin nor B)disco?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Does anybody find it funny that there's lots of shit listed in this thread which is neither A)Latin nor B)disco?

I know, although I didn't initially ask for 100 percent latin, just latin rhythms.

I'll still look this stuff up, though.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    "parar" and "detener" are both words for stop. Parar is the one you would use more frequently when talking about yourself ie "Me voy a parar en este bar para una Tecate." Detener would be used beter when someone is stopping you, like the cops. "Despues de ser detenado por los traficantes, el joven contunio en su ruta." and then there's "alto" which is the comand for stop. Great thread by the way. Latin disco is the shit, I can't think of any titles of the top of my head right now...

Knowledge dropped!

I also know that The Hustle is "Atropello" and Fly Robin Fly is "Vuela Petirrojo, Vuela" both are Mexican disco tracks but don't sound very latin (in that Gloria Estefan opening piano riff kind of way)

You want latin artists making disco music or disco music that sounds latin?

Stuff like Rinder and Lewis has heavy latin influences without being salsa-disco sounding. Fania Allstars and Tierra do some latin-disco-boogie sounding stuff.
    Plus the intro to Plastico by Colon/Blades probably counts as latin disco.
    And don't forget cheesyraer with the killer break, La Pregunta - Shangri-la

Somebody already mentioned Rafael Maldonado, sorry, Ralph MacDonald and King Errison. What about a (little) bit of Kid Creole & the Coconuts?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Latin rhythms in disco songs; that's what I want.

Think Candido.

• ltg exchange: waterbed
    ltg exchange: corazon

I'd say just about anything on the Disco International label is a good bet.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts

btw, who remembers the name of the late 70s fania album with the ill heatwave "mind blowing decisions" cover?

Think you're talking about Jimmy Sabater.

Either `Gusto` or `Hijo de Theresa`.

thanks for the help, it's this

• Hola, relatively new here but I had to jump in, I love me some latin music and disco expecially. Here's some I love to play out and just listen to in general.

Chocolat's - King of clubs - on Salsoul has a great tune called El Caravanero, this version is the Tom Moulton mix which is nice and percussive with some reverbed organ and wah guitar over the rhythm. There's also a version on CBS Israel that has an older and rawer version with some vocals and a slightly cheese bassline, I still love it. I recently found a English pressing of said version. By the way, the Israeli version has the best artwork of the two, a cartoon of a off-road VW bug tearing through the jungle.

Willie Colon - Set Fire to me - A later rcord for dude (1986) but still dope, especially the dub version on the b-side

T-connection - At Midnight - the 12" version is so dope, tons of percussion in there, timbales, bells, and a cuica.

Erotic Drum Band - Jerky Rhythm - just a shitload of percussion, which I guess you could argue that lots of disco had that shit but this is some tribal jungle shit. Sick.

War - Youngblood soundtrack - still gotta mention this as comped as it gets, Flying Machine is a dope latin disco cut, even touches on some afro beat flavors.

Roller Boogie Soundtrack - There's a ton of cheese on this shit, I picked it up for a friend who does a roller disco night but kept it for one tune by Bob Esty called "Cunga", not much of a latin rhythm but lots of dope percussion and strings and a bright latin sounding trumpet, sounds like a Sal Soul record.

Check for SalSoul's Latin Disco - Salsa's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2. Pretty easy to find.

Azymuth - Jazz Carnival

Jazztronik - Live 12" on Especial with Rita. Seriously dope tune. I know these guys got trashed on the broken beat thread but this tune is a great latin jazz
    disco cut. All live instruments, still has a punchy sound. Kinda pricey but worth buying if you can still track it down.

- Jacob The Jeweler

• Yeah thats the piec... just found my copy.
    Gusto / Fania 1980

That LP cover is pimp as hell.

The other LP, "Hijo de Theresa" is still my shit though, Yroco & DrumaKuyi !!!

On the Latin Disco tip, there seems to be a very thin line here with regards to whats Disco & whats Latin Disco.
    I am not the one to say which is which, but curious as to what makes what I would consider a Salsa track, "latin Disco" to you guys?

i.e., Juan Pachanga... I don't see juan pachanga as being latin disco.
    I mean it's pretty much salsa far as I am concerned, definitely more 'club/disco' oriented, but still i would categorize it as a Salsa track.
    I do hear the Disco arrangments, strings horns & shit, but that was common amongst alot of latin/salsa during the period.
    I figured you'd choose "Plastico" which at least has a straight up disco loop in the beginning.

So where would you throw something like The Bottle (Gil Scot Heron)?
    Thats what I would consider a Disco/Club track for sure, then it breaks down into the Guaguanco chant & gets pretty latin with the timbales & shit.

Joe Bataan, SalSoul stuff?

Go ahead & drop science you disco dudes.

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    Go cop COATI MUNDI " QUE PASA/ME POPI" nice latin,disco banger.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    A big part of the Salsoul Orchestra catalogue probably qualifies as Latin Disco too.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    WHERE IS CRAZYPOPROCK!!!??????

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

What's the deal with Charanga 76 anyway? I just found a medley 12" of theirs (Good Times is on there, but I don't remember Ain't No Stoppin). Was Charanga 76 an actual group or were they a Disco Net type of operation?

They were another band doing this as a side project under a different name. I'm pretty sure it's the Salsoul Orchestra actually. Gotta double check...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

They were another band doing this as a side project under a different name. I'm pretty sure it's the Salsoul Orchestra actually. Gotta double check...

Not sure about that - Filipe Mart??nez was the driving force but both New York based around the same time though so could be some cross-over.

And 'Ain't No Stopping Us Now' was originally released as 'No Nos Pararan'. Or No Nos Pararararararararararararararararan in Johnny Paycheck's neck of the woods.

• Joe Batan is also worth to check from his Disco Period and "Seguia" on Fania and also some Candido Stuff could be worth a check...

SC

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

My question is, what are some good latin-influenced disco tracks (no Candido)?

miami disco band - go home with you 12" on salsoul is really good IMO.. i've heard newer, deep house tracks that sound VERY similar.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    What's good in "deep house"? Am I sleeping on this genre? I like "latin disco" would i like "deep house"?

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    If you want to go deep check out AARON ROSS SHOW on BBChttp://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/morestyles/ and http://undergroundnyc.com/ and if you go to NYC on vacation check out club SHELTER you will never be the same.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Fania All-Stars version of "Smoke" is latin disco madness: 4/4, uptempo, wild horns...

C***o, is that both latin and disco? Can I get a witness?