Autographs = more $$$ ???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Do autographs bump the pryce of records?Just wondering..............probably depends on the artist.

Comments

• Do autographs bump the pryce of records?
    Just wondering..............probably depends on the artist.
    ...and the buyer. if it's like a mono coltrane on impulse that's signed, i'd imagine it'd go for some loot. i've found other records in dollar bins that have been signed. like harvey mason's "marchin in the street" signed by mason, or cal tjader's "agua dulce" signed by coke escovedo.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I would actually say the opposite, that a weak or normally cheap record will be greater influenced by an autograph, price-wise. At any rate I'm usually pretty skeptical about buying autographed stuff, unless I have something signed I can compare it to.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Do autographs bump the pryce of records?

...and the buyer.

Yeah, I don't think there's really a rule... depends on whether the person in question sweats autographs in addition to records.

Personally, I view the schitt as a defacement and it can seriously impact what I'm willing to pay for a record.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Personally, I view the schitt as a defacement and it can seriously impact what I'm willing to pay for a record.
    Yup.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Yup.
    cosign

• I like autographed/inscribed records...adds a personal touch...less likely to affect the value of a private but bigger name artists signed usually sells for way more. Just check for signed Jackson Browne or Ramones or whatever on Ebay. They sell for $ but the funny thing is that most of that shit is fake as fuck! People make a lot of money adding sigs to dollar bin commons...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I like autographed/inscribed records...adds a personal touch...less likely to affect the value of a private but bigger name artists signed usually sells for way more. Just check for signed Jackson Browne or Ramones or whatever on Ebay. They sell for $ but the funny thing is that most of that shit is fake as fuck! People make a lot of money adding sigs to dollar bin commons...

A lot of that schitt sells to people who are really into Ramones memorabilia or Stones memorabilia, but don't particularly care about records, though.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I like autographed/inscribed records...adds a personal touch...less likely to affect the value of a private but bigger name artists signed usually sells for way more. Just check for signed Jackson Browne or Ramones or whatever on Ebay. They sell for $ but the funny thing is that most of that shit is fake as fuck! People make a lot of money adding sigs to dollar bin commons...

A lot of that schitt sells to people who are really into Ramones memorabilia or Stones memorabilia, but don't particularly care about records, though.

A record collector friend of mine told me a story about a friend of his who was a Bo Diddley collector. He brought ALL his OG 50s/60s classic Bo Diddley LPs for Bo to sign after a show in Minneapolis. The guy was crushed when Bo signed 'em all "Bo Diddley 1984"!

The idea(that I bet most people here would understand/comiserate with) being that aesthetically and value-wise a signature w/o a date is much superior than the signature of someone in the neutral years of their career.

I have Radio Birdman LPs that are signed in the 90s that I wouldn't sell(for personal, sentimental reasons) but I don't think it improves their value, just solidifies their salability.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

A record collector friend of mine told me a story about a friend of his who was a Bo Diddley collector. He brought ALL his OG 50s/60s classic Bo Diddley LPs for Bo to sign after a show in Minneapolis. The guy was crushed when Bo signed 'em all "Bo Diddley 1984"!

The idea(that I bet most people here would understand/comiserate with) being that aesthetically and value-wise a signature w/o a date is much superior than the signature of someone in the neutral years of their career.

I have Radio Birdman LPs that are signed in the 90s that I wouldn't sell(for personal, sentimental reasons) but I don't think it improves their value, just solidifies their salability.

I bet bo diddley knew this, and thats why he did it! Thats what i would do if I was him. WHy else would you need all of them signed except for some making money off my signiture type bullshit.

Yeah I've gotten a lot of things signed by jazz dudes and I've noticed most of them either date it or personalize it with my name, which may or may not be a purposeful attempt to prevent it from being resold, but if it is I don't blame them one bit. I think fakes are so prevalent on ebay that it doesn't really pay to sell autographed shit on there.

• I like autographed/inscribed records...adds a personal touch...less likely to affect the value of a private but bigger name artists signed usually sells for way more. Just check for signed Jackson Browne or Ramones or whatever on Ebay. They sell for $ but the funny thing is that most of that shit is fake as fuck! People make a lot of money adding sigs to dollar bin commons...

Very true, but my point was that a ton of signitures on Ebay are fakes. Random dudes digging up dollar records and "signing" them themselves...

• Yeah I've gotten a lot of things signed by jazz dudes and I've noticed most of them either date it or personalize it with my name, which may or may not be a purposeful attempt to prevent it from being resold, but if it is I don't blame them one bit. I think fakes are so prevalent on ebay that it doesn't really pay to sell autographed shit on there.

I never got why artists/sports figures/etc would care if someone made money on their sigs. Don't these guys already make good money? Why care if some little dude makes a few bucks.I'm not an autograph hound, but is it really exploiting these artists by going to a signing and then selling the auto? We sell their out of print records all the time...

A lot of old jazz dudes (at least the ones I usually go see) don't really make good money. Like I said, it may not be intentional...I dunno.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think it's more along the lines of it devaluing their opportunity to make money off their own autographs and I think it's only fair that they be able to make money off their own work.

• Personally, I view the schitt as a defacement and it can seriously impact what I'm willing to pay for a record.
    even with proper authentication, i'd prefer the labels to be as close to mint as possible. unless the record was rare i'd pass on it if it had some gawdy autograph on it. autographed covers are even worse.

• I think it's more along the lines of it devaluing their opportunity to make money off their own autographs and I think it's only fair that they be able to make money off their own work.

They do make money off their own work. Some make millions. Any of the old jazz/rock/soul guys who are still struggling probably don't have auto's that the general public are paying for anyway. My question is WHY devalue the opportunity to make money off Bo Diddly's autograph? Sounds like something only Metallica would make a big issue out of...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    It's a money thing and also and authenticity thing. Some artists make millions off their work but they're also making millions because they take opportunities like autographs to increase their income. Some artists DON'T make millions off their work and need to take opportunities like that. Also, when you get stuff like that directly from the artist, not only are you helping them out but you are made sure that the autograph is authentic which is not always so easy to prove when purchasing from a third party.

• Do autographs bump the pryce of records?

...and the buyer. if it's like a mono coltrane on impulse that's signed, i'd imagine it'd go for some loot

I've sold some heavy autographed jazz pieces this year, all without COAs, on ebay and through private sales.

The funny thing is the one that went for the most loot was a private sale. A "Coltrane's Sound" on Prestige (original deep groove NYC pressing) in VG+ condition autographed by John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Philly Joe Jones fetched me a $1000 in a private sale.

The others were 2 autographed Miles Davis LPs on Prestige in G condition (original deep groove NYC pressings) caught over $200 and another Miles on Prestige in VG+ condition caught $250+. Some Yusef Lateefs went for a few bucks which was good loot seing they were also in G condition. All had very warm, personalized messages to a friend of mine who passed so I knew they were real but had no COA.

They did alot better than I expected seing all they had going for them was my word and the fact that I knew the original owner.

Personally, I have a copy of Blue Train autographed by Coltrane, Philly Joe, and Miles from the same collection that I would never sell. Other autographed LPs I value include Sun Ra's "Heliocentric Worlds Vol. 1" and Ultramagnetic MCs "Critical Beatdown" among others.

My favorite autograph I ever got in person involved Bob James. I was working the smooth jazz festival here in Detroit for the record store and we did a meet and greet with Fourplay (Bob James, Harvey Mason, Larry Carlton, and Nathan East). I had Bob James autograph a minty copy of Bob James II for my friend Jay Bons. The Inscription - "Yo Jay, I took your momma to the mardi gras! Love, Bob James". He was a good sport and thought it was very funny. Priceless.

SONIC

• I would actually say the opposite, that a weak or normally cheap record will be greater influenced by an autograph, price-wise. At any rate I'm usually pretty skeptical about buying autographed stuff, unless I have something signed I can compare it to.

I usually pick it up, if it's reasonably priced of course. Even if it's just the UPS dude that delivered the records, maybe somebody is looking for it. *shrug*

• Here it is!! The SHEILA CHANDRA Out on My Own LP, tough to find UK pressing on the Indipop lable from 1984. AUTOGRAPHED ON THE FRONT COVER IN GOLD MARKER BY SHEILA CHANDRA, BEAUFITUL AUTOGRAPH obtained from a collector in Winnipeg, which has a large INDIAN Population.

Funny listing on ebay. "Autograph" is, of course, just gold-print. And what's up with Winnipeg's large Indian population? Did Christopher Columbus list this item?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    a weak or normally cheap record will be greater influenced by an autograph, price-wise.

My wife got this 12'' signed for me!

Maybe this should be in the Guilty Pleasures thread.......

speaking of autographs...from this weekend:

not a record but whatever.

When it comes to records I'd rather have an unsigned LP in good condition than a signed LP that's beat. I usually just ask dudes to sign CDs, the only LPs I can think of that I have signed are Joe McPhee- Tenor and Pharoah Sanders- Tauhid (signed by Henry Grimes).

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    a weak or normally cheap record will be greater influenced by an autograph, price-wise.

No way! That's awesome.
    Isn't that pic sleeve all the house mixes though? I couldn't find a pic sleeve with the LP/single mix

No way! That's awesome.
    Isn't that pic sleeve all the house mixes though? I couldn't find a pic sleeve with the LP/single mix

I think its a Radio version/Instramental/Garbage House mixes.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    seems to me its a better idea to have the artist sign a peace of paper / photo and then include that with the LP no?

i've got the BYRDS Sweetheart of the rodeo signed by Mcguin and Hillman... not a fan of the lp (wish it was my copy of notorious byrds bros) but it has made me hold onto the lp.

seems to me its a better idea to have the artist sign a peace of paper / photo and then include that with the LP no?

My friend let me have this..........

It came w/ an autographed head shot of Stevie D.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

i don't care who wrote on it. it's ruined.

i did have steinski sign my motorcade record though.

• a weak or normally cheap record will be greater influenced by an autograph, price-wise.

No way! That's awesome.

I think its a Radio version/Instramental/Garbage House mixes.

Yeah, there was never an album version official 12" of this song.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Who was it that had there MPC signed by RJD2? Funny ish.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    A couple of weeks ago, I found an autographed copy of this of all records:

D-Nice *and* McBoo signed.