Charles Kynard REKKIDS

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
is it me, or are most his albums snoozers, save for a couple tracks? i own a few of them, which i notice are the most sought after of his, but never really dug them any more than any random late 60's early 70's prestige funk albums. why is there such a demand for them? i mean i know they aren't THAT rare, but i always see them on e-bay for like 60-70+ bucks.

like "wa-tu-wa-zui" for example. i notice cats are always after that one, but aside from "winters child" ("zebra walk" is cool too), the rest is a snoozer to me. anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• IMO, 4 out of the 5 tracks on Wa-Tu-Wa-Zui are HOT. With "Something" and the title track being the hottest. At around the 4:30 mark on "Something" it's impossible to snooze. And the title track blazes from start to finish.

• IMO, 4 out of the 5 tracks on Wa-Tu-Wa-Zui are HOT. With "Something" and the title track being the hottest. At around the 4:30 mark on "Something" it's impossible to snooze. And the title track blazes from start to finish.
    it's okay, and that's probably even my favorite lp of his, out of his late 60's prestige, and 70's mainstream stuff. there are better records on both of those labels during those years, that go for under 10 bucks on e-bay all the time. it's weird, cause you rarely see his records (the originals, anyway) in stores, on top of them being sought after consistently on e-bay. i don't get it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Reelin' With the Feelin' is "HOT", IMO.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i hear you, money. i been over that prestige sound. their engineers made every record sound the same...cheesy.

• Options
    i hear you, money. i been over that prestige sound. their engineers made every record sound the same...cheesy.

Afro Disiac still sounds good to me. I'm with Rey on the other LP, too.

K in Canada.

• This is the only Kynard I own and I like it better than what I've heard of Watuwazui. How is WOGA?

Taken from Motown67's review:
    One of the best artists Mainstream ever signed, and one of the best albums they ever put out. The opening track is entitled El Toro Poo Poo. With a title like that how could you go wrong? Kynard lets loose with a series of funky rhythms like the first song, and some slow jams like She, which was sampled by Blackalicious, to provide a record that ends as well as it starts. Other noteworthy tunes to listen to are Greeze, Greens and a rousing cover of It???s Too Late that also sports a drum and conga break. Supporting Kynard on organ are Carol Kaye, of Axelrod fame, King Errison, Ernie Watts, Billy Fender and James Gadson.

• is it me, or are most PRESTIGE[/b] albums snoozers, save for a couple tracks?

I love the greasy Prestige sound, and when the heat is there on a track, it's THERE! But most of the albums are real short and have a couple of uptempo joints, a couple of ballads, and a standard. Usually the first track on each side is the burner. Prestige was the kind of label where you would go in, cut three or four albums worth of material with maybe one practice under your belt, and get all the cash right there for the three albums. That's why albums released over a period of like six years all have the same line-ups. Prestige would just dig out an old recording they already paid for and release it every year or so. And that's why the records have a more formulaic look to the track selection, because Prestige didn't let all the heat out at once. There are some exceptions but for the most part I've found this true.

As for "Wa-Tu-Wa-Zui", it's a monster jazz track. Long, funky, and unrelenting. Much like "Fire Eater" but without the break.

SONIC