Advice on becoming an Ethnomusicologist?

2»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Rad!

Yeah, I know I didn't make myself clear on this, but I'm very interested in underexposed non-commercial American music. This might be getting off topic, but I see strange music kinda fading out. I know some of you might say that the whole MP3 interenet based music thing is helping it/will help it thrive, but I really don't care to see music become completely digital & invisible...

but, really, that is neither here nor there. anyhow, I'm not giving up the dream of fucking around with Indian Peyote mud rituals. I will do this shit & document it even if it's on my own time & at my own expense, god damnit! Which brings me to my concern with 3rd world parasites. What's up with this? I've known people who traveled in India & shit & and now they can't digest properly. that's not cool! What about hostile natives? Do they still shrink headz & stuff? Do I need to get a pith helmet, or do you "go native"?

Drop knowledge!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    might i suggest an american flag bandana for your head piece on your travels. it let's the REAL NATIVZ KNOW THE DEAL, so to speak.

might i suggest an american flag bandana for your head piece on your travels. it let's the REAL NATIVZ KNOW THE DEAL, so to speak.

This is invaluable info, shig. I thank you!

what about some of these...

??????

• puppup 133 Posts
    UCLA is the place for this kind of thing. In fact UCLAradio.com the online radio station has a show called "Sounds from the Vaults of the Ethnomusicology Archive" every Thursday 12 - 2 pm Pacific. John Vallier, the host of the show is an archivist from the UCLA ethnomusicology library. The real deal. You can check out some of his old shows at http://www.bruinwalk.com/groups/uclaradio/archive.asp

??????

ah yes, the stars and stripes undies aka the white man's doo rag. touche!

sweet!

??????

could not find a g-string

??????

could not find a g-string

haha!!!

• PS World music is dying, people have access around the world to other people's music, thereby making world music a dying concept. Pacific Island music and New Guinea, as well as some parts of Africa, Asia and South America are seemingly the last vestiges. Kava kava allegedly tastes like crap btw, so hold your nose....

I think you miss the premise of the term world music, as meaning any music that is outside the Western sphere. Just because I have access to equatorial guinea folk dance on my computer does not mean it is not "world music" according to its original meaning... and since Western imbalance/dominance over world culture continues to hold, I would say the "world music" tag is as strong as ever - check out your local Tower, I'm sure they'll have it labelled.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Aleit,

I PHinisheD back in December, with a doctorate in Ethnic Studies. I felt better about that before the Ward Churchill now makes us look like a bunch of loonies.

Hcrink: Keep in mind - people who hold PhDs but are not actually medical doctors look like straight up poptarts (Faux???) when they call themselves "doctors".

Aleti: As for "grad school" vs. "work", it comes down to:
    Grad School = intellectual environment, no 9-5 desk job steez, debt-incurring tuition, spending time with either neurotic colleagues or whiny undergrads

Work = potential for rote, mindless routines, 9-5 grind, actually supporting oneself, kicking it with grown-ups

We can build more on this via email if you want.

• I felt better about that before the Ward Churchill now makes us look like a bunch of loonies.

Damn, you make me sound so radically left that Ralph Nader would be a lefties nightmare. I wasn't taking a stance, merely stating a fact. But don't let that undercut your prized intellectual accomplishment - you should be gushing.
    Ward Churchill? I gave up militancy a while ago along with shoddy vegan cafeteria food.

people who hold PhDs but are not actually medical doctors look like straight up poptarts (Faux???) when they call themselves "doctors".

I get "mad" chicks that way, yo!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

I'm not against academia, and realize that like you say it is the default career for liberal arts type things. I'll be moving to NorCal in the next month & the musci program at Mills[/b] has been spoken highly of to me...

And as a grad student at Mills, you're surrounded by an all girl undergrad student body(ies)!!! You can find yourself a nice "makin moves in the real world" girlfriend! I used to date a Mills undergrad, and minus all the militant radical feminist lesbians that used to my every move on campus, it's a cool lil' spot, rill nice in the spring time.

I'm not against academia, and realize that like you say it is the "default" career for liberal arts type things. I'll be moving to NorCal in the next month & the musci program at Mills[/b] has been spoken highly of to me...

And as a grad student at Mills, you're surrounded by an all girl undergrad student body(ies)!!! You can find yourself a nice "makin moves in the real world" girlfriend! I used to date a Mills undergrad, and minus all the militant radical feminist lesbians that used to my every move on campus, it's a cool lil' spot, rill nice in the spring time.

yeah, I know Mills graduates through my Girlfriend. What did you study there? Were you the creepy guy who wore little shorts around the swimming pool that I heard about? If so, shame on you!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    whoa whoa whoa buddy, I never went to Mills, I dated a girl that went there. Just sayin, males make up about 5% of the population there.

whoa whoa whoa buddy, I never went to Mills, I dated a girl that went there. Just sayin, males make up about 5% of the population there.

oh, sorry!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Hcrink: Keep in mind - people who hold PhDs but are not actually medical doctors look like straight up poptarts (Faux???) when they call themselves "doctors".

Yeah, seriously; a person's insistence on being addressed as "doctor" is generally inversely proportionate to the respectability of the institution that awarded them the degree.

And when you get somebody calling themselves "Dr. so-and-so, Ph.D." you know their "degree" is some straight-up mail order sh!t.

Yeah, seriously; a person's insistence on being addressed as "doctor" is generally inversely proportionate to the respectability of the institution that awarded them the degree.

And when you get somebody calling themselves "Dr. so-and-so, Ph.D." you know their "degree" is some straight-up mail order sh!t.

It's funny that you guys took this seriously.