Karlito's Avatar Appreciation Thread

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I have a feeling that most people who "dont beleive in God" would drop to there knees and pray with the quickness in trying/dangerous situations...

whos the sucker?

Then you're mistaken. There are people who genuinely don't believe in any god. There are also people who believe that if a god does exist, that it's ridiculous to presume that it would take an interest in the affairs of humanity or accept personal appeals. Why would such a person be praying when he or she could be focussing on a way to get out of the trying/dangerous situation?

Maybe people who had a religious upbringing and at some point rejected the church would revert back to appealing to god in a situation like that, but then there are plenty of people like me who have never had a god and who were raised by two people that don't have a god either--the concept of god is just not a part of my personal psyche.

These scare tactics of yours are really some sucker schitt.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I have a feeling that most people who "dont beleive in God" would drop to there knees and pray with the quickness in trying/dangerous situations...

whos the sucker?

Then you're mistaken. There are people who genuinely don't believe in any god. There are also people who believe that if a god does exist, that it's ridiculous to presume that it would take an interest in the affairs of humanity or accept personal appeals. Why would such a person be praying when he or she could be focussing on a way to get out of the trying/dangerous situation?

Maybe people who had a religious upbringing and at some point rejected the church would revert back to appealing to god in a situation like that, but then there are plenty of people like me who have never had a god and who were raised by two people that don't have a god either--the concept of god is just not a part of my personal psyche.

These scare tactics of yours are really some sucker schitt.

Scare Tactics?

First off, let me say that I believe in God without subscribing to any particular faith. Secondly, i dont beleive in praying for your own benefit/Asking for favors from god, etc. The concept seems arrogant to me.

Of course I know there are people who geniuenly dont believe a god exists. My personal life experience has shown me otherwise, but as long as people are thankful for life and all the incredible shit we recieve everyday (whether or not they believe in god), then to each his own.

If you'll go back and re-read my post, I wrote that I think that most aethiests would conviently and instantly "find faith" in a life or death situation. Im not trying to judge them for that, i guess i shouldnt have written "whos the sucker?". I also know that some folks wouldnt. Im not passing judgment on them either.

If you think my post was meant to be inflammatory (or perhaps on some scare tactic sucker schitt), you're mistaken.

Gamble

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    So let me get this straight - God = Christianity?

You don't think a belief in God can be completely independent of a religion?

.....fair point, accounting for some bleed through, there must be some who feel they have a self propelled abstract idea of "god", but I don't really have issues with that.

That said, the notion that we monkey's could define "god" is laughable, and the wacky trickster style gods that feature in the current tomes is hilarious. I'll allow for the possibilty of "something", but until I'm personally contacted, I reserve the right to laugh my ass off at the masses suckling at mary's tit. Blind faith......give me a break.

Paper or plastic?.......just bag it, seems to be the general theme.

flunk

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Your words and the fact that you are always on "Posts: 33" got me all scared.
    Do you have a Dorian Gray thing going on or what? Or maybe you are...