Do you Support the DNC? (NRR)

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I recently took a job doing some fundraising for the Democratic National Commitee. Its pretty good pay, and the job is totally easy, but it has given me some peculiar insight into the political landscape of this country. Now, Im no fan of the bush administration, but talking to these pledge's, i really get this kind of hatred directed at republicans a whole lot. Im not a fan of the current agenda being pushed in washington, but we basicly use official releases from the DNC as our ammunition for soliciting donations. And i gotta say, most of their agenda right now seems to be focussed directly at attacking consevatives. Now, alot of these motherfuckers are corrupt as hell and deserve to be exposed, but im not really sure I believe that continuing this fight is especially healthy for the country. I dont really buy the notion that the democrats in power are all necesarily clean as a whistle and that they are only interested in fighting the good fight either. We were given this handout about the culture of corruption in the republican party, and democrats were dancing in the streets at the recent Tom Delay scandal. But I mean really, what did he do? He organized corporate interests to feed contributions to the RNC. Illegal? Yes. But I sorta feel like alot of these politicians issuing such condemnations are only doing so because its convienient. I take donations all day, but im not naive enough to believe that the DNC is an organization completely funded by the people. Basicly this job is making me think about my personal politics alot, and I do believe that we need to restore some kind of order to the government. It does seem like our system of checks and balances is completely out the window right now. But the way things are going, it just seems like such a personal war. Not even neccesarily one thats based on ideas, more like loyalty and affiliations. Is this just politics as usual? Or is this kind of phenomenon a new thing for america? Were we really at eachothers throats so much before? What do you think can be done to heal this idealogical devide? I generally learn alot from the political threads on here, so im interested to see what you guys think?

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    One thing is that the Democrants have become very re-active and not pro-active. The Rep are getting their way left and right and making their things happen and the Dems aren't. They sit around and wait for soemthing like DeLay and say "look how bad the Rep are and how great we are". They never go after issues so they just end up shoveling the Rep shit and saying "look at the nice pile we made".

The war in Iraq is the classic example. Even now plenty about the war is comming out but the Democrats don't fight it. Same with Katrina, why the hell aren't people going after Bush for dismantleing FEMA putting his horsey buddy in charge. That's a major MAJOR issue that's just been swept under the rug.

How about the Schivo case, the Pres and his borther used their government powers to push their personal agenda into someone personal life.

How about all the 911 money that's still floating around.

How about all the Katrina contracts going to Bush and Cheany's buddies.

When are the Dems going to do anything but roll over and play dead.

One really bad thing is that they play by Bush's rules and wonder why they lose. "can't critize durring a time of war, can't critisize durring a national crisis" Fuck people are dying when exactly is it going to be time to critisize policies that get people killed while the rich feed off their corpses!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Is this just politics as usual? Or is this kind of phenomenon a new thing for america?

It's definitely not a new thing. I hear what you're saying and I think you have a healthy amount of skepticism. A friend of mine canvassed for the DNC last summer and at some point he threw a barbecue for friends and co-workers. While many of the DNC employees who showed up were very pleasant to talk to, there were a few who sounded exactly like their Republican counterparts. The hateful rhetoric spewing from their mouths was downright embarrassing.

One thing is that the Democrants have become very re-active and not pro-active. The Rep are getting their way left and right and making their things happen and the Dems aren't. They sit around and wait for soemthing like DeLay and say "look how bad the Rep are and how great we are". They never go after issues so they just end up shoveling the Rep shit and saying "look at the nice pile we made".

I'm sorry dude, but that's a terrible analysis of the current political climate in Washington.

I'm sorry dude, but that's a terrible analysis of the current political climate in Washington.

Then spell it out man............

the Rep are steamrolling over the coutry and the Dems aren't doing much about it. Sure they may be holding a press conference and raiseing a stink now and then, but they aren't following through and getting anything done.

Tell me your analysis if you know so much.

I wouldn't pretend to know how to sum it up in one post, but I can tell an undeducated generalization when I see one.

The idea that Democrats are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs while Bush does whatever he wants is not only wrong, it's ridiculous.

I wouldn't pretend to know how to sum it up in one post, but I can tell an undeducated generalization when I see one.

The idea that Democrats are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs while Bush does whatever he wants is not only wrong, it's ridiculous.

Then seriously tell me what's up. Do you even live in the USA. Bush is up everyone's ass and I don't see the Dems doing much about it. Tell me otherwise. Shure the Dems are going through the motions but what are they actually getting done????? Just one example......

Then seriously tell me what's up.

Shouldn't it be your job to find out what's up? Do you get all your news from message boards?

They sit around and wait for soemthing like DeLay and say "look how bad the Rep are and how great we are".

Here's a freebie, though. Please look up Ronnie Earle, the Democrat[/b] who was the prosecutor in the Delay case.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Here's a freebie, though. Please look up Ronnie Earle, the Democrat[/b] who was the prosecutor in the Delay case.

maybe i'm going out on a limb here, but when someone says "democrat" I usually think "someone who ran for an office as a democrat and won." not some dude who votes democrat.

the analysis of dems being very reactive and not pro-active is pretty much on point; I'd like to see some evidence to the contrary.

shit harry reid even said "we're the minority, we're not supposed to accomplish anything."

maybe i'm going out on a limb here, but when someone says "democrat" I usually think "someone who ran for an office as a democrat and won." not some dude who votes democrat

I'm sure an elected official or two had something to do with it.

My point is, I highly doubt that every single Democrat is just sitting around in their office, waiting for something to happen. Hillary Clinton, Howard Dean, John Edwards and many others are still trying to bring about positive changes.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

maybe i'm going out on a limb here, but when someone says "democrat" I usually think "someone who ran for an office as a democrat and won." not some dude who votes democrat

I'm sure an elected official or two had something to do with it.

My point is, I highly doubt that every single Democrat is just sitting around in their office, waiting for something to happen. Hillary Clinton, Howard Dean, John Edwards and many others are still trying to bring about positive changes.

Well this is kind of what i was saying. All they seem to be doing is bashing republicans. If you have a better answer it seems like everyone is ready to hear it. I dont think any of us wants to play for the other team, but come on!

One example? How about the fight to prevent John Roberts from being appointed to the Supreme Court? Kennedy, Feinstein, Dean and many others worked, albeit unsuccessfully, to sway the vote.

From CNN.com:

DNC Chairman Howard Dean, though he doesn't have a vote, is out there today in the Washington Post almost begging those who do vote to stay the course, "If we lose, better to go down fighting and standing for what we believe in, because we will not win an election if the public doesn't think we'll stand up for what we believe in."

Dude is not just standing by idily, hoping things go well.

Democrats who voted against the Roberts nomination:

Daniel Akaka
    Hawaii

Evan Bayh
    Indiana

Joseph Biden
    Delaware

Barbara Boxer
    California

Maria Cantwell
    Washington

Hillary Clinton
    New York

Jon Corzine
    New Jersey

Mark Dayton
    Minnesota

Richard Durbin
    Illinois

Dianne Feinstein
    California

Tom Harkin
    Iowa

Daniel Inouye
    Hawaii

Edward Kennedy
    Massachusetts

John Kerry
    Massachusetts

Frank Lautenberg
    New Jersey

Barbara Mikulski
    Maryland

Barack Obama
    Illinois

Jack Reed
    Rhode Island

Harry Reid
    Nevada

Paul Sarbanes
    Maryland

Charles Schumer
    New York

Debbie Stabenow
    Michigan

These people are voting. That's not idily standing by either.

Not everyone is passively hoping this goes away (something many of you are likely doing, may I remind you). Yes, there has not been much headway made. That's because Democrats are the minority[/b]! That means they will lose almost every vote. In many ways their hands are tied. What exactly are you guys expecting them to do? Stop the war? Dismantle or rebuild FEMA? Institute real campaign finance reform? They can't just wake up one morning and decide to do that. In cases such as those, all they can do is call people out and raise public awareness. If you call that complaining or "holier than thou" posturing, then you're a bit of a hypocrite, aren't you?

One example? How about the fight to prevent John Roberts from being appointed to the Supreme Court? Kennedy, Feinstein, Dean and many others worked, albeit unsuccessfully, to sway the vote.

From CNN.com:

DNC Chairman Howard Dean, though he doesn't have a vote, is out there today in the Washington Post almost begging those who do vote to stay the course, "If we lose, better to go down fighting and standing for what we believe in, because we will not win an election if the public doesn't think we'll stand up for what we believe in."

Dude is not just standing by idily, hoping things go well.

Democrats who voted against the Roberts nomination:

Daniel Akaka
    Hawaii

Evan Bayh
    Indiana

Joseph Biden
    Delaware

Barbara Boxer
    California

Maria Cantwell
    Washington

Hillary Clinton
    New York

Jon Corzine
    New Jersey

Mark Dayton
    Minnesota

Richard Durbin
    Illinois

Dianne Feinstein
    California

Tom Harkin
    Iowa

Daniel Inouye
    Hawaii

Edward Kennedy
    Massachusetts

John Kerry
    Massachusetts

Frank Lautenberg
    New Jersey

Barbara Mikulski
    Maryland

Barack Obama
    Illinois

Jack Reed
    Rhode Island

Harry Reid
    Nevada

Paul Sarbanes
    Maryland

Charles Schumer
    New York

Debbie Stabenow
    Michigan

These people are voting. That's not idily standing by either.

Not everyone is passively hoping this goes away (something many of you are likely doing, may I remind you). Yes, there has not been much headway made. That's because Democrats are the minority[/b]! That means they will lose almost every vote. In many ways their hands are tied. What exactly are you guys expecting them to do? Stop the war? Dismantle or rebuild FEMA? Institute real campaign finance reform? They can't just wake up one morning and decide to do that. In cases such as those, all they can do is call people out and raise public awareness of the Bush administration's anti-American behavior. If you call that complaining or "holier than thou" posturing, then you're a bit of a hypocrite, aren't you?

P.S. Bsides that wasn't directed at you. I think it's great that you're working with the DNC and I wish you success. I also think there's a difference between the people I was talking about who just stand around throwing random character attacks left and right, e.g. using a dude's gambling problem to question his ability to educate, and those who attack Republicans for their actions, such as citing a dude's racist hate-speech to question his ability to lead.