RED SOX. YANKEES. IT'S ON, BATCHES!!!

2»

Comments

• hcrunkhcrunk 116 Posts

Go Boston!

• i'm just kind of confused...why were the yankees celebrating with champagne, there is still one game left and if the sox win tommorow there will be a one game playoff right ? or am i wrong ?

• the gist: by winning today,t he yankees guaranteed themselves a share of the AL East; they also won the season series today, thereby taking the AL East tie-breaker (which would only be necessary if the red sox tie them atop the East tomorrow by winning the last game of the season and series). the only time teams need to play an actual game to break a tie is if doing so will determine a playoff spot. as it is, the indians have dropped (at least) 2/3 to the white sox, meaning the best they can hope for is a tie with the red sox (if the red sox lose 2/3 to the yankees). so if the indians win and the red sox lose, since there is no 'tie-breaker' between the indians and red sox (diff divisions), the two teams will play a tie-breaker one-game playoff monday at fenway for the tie-breaker.

IMG SRC=http://www.kingphilip.org/kpnorth/gr8tech/2003/student38/sitdown2.jpeg>
    "Is that a syringe in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
    "Yeah, it's a syringe."

• debardebar 215 Posts
    i'm just kind of confused...why were the yankees celebrating with champagne, there is still one game left and if the sox win tommorow there will be a one game playoff right ? or am i wrong ?

no, Yanks are Division Champions, baseball is weird like that. A one-game playoff to determine the Division Champion is only played if the 2 teams tied for the Division lead have a lower record than the Wild Card team from the league. But if the record of the 2 teams tied for the Division lead is higher than the best 2nd place team, then it's based on head-to-head meetings, and if it's still tied, division records, etc.

It's confusing, so let me use real teams and records:

After today, the Yankees are 95-66, Red Sox are 94-67, and Indians are 93-68.
    Even if the Indians and Red Sox win tomorrow, the best 2nd place team's (CLE) record will still be lower than the AL EAST DIVISION LEADER (NY & BOS would be 95-67, CLE 94-68) Therefore the Wild Card team will be the 2nd place team from the AL EAST (NY or BOS). In that situation a one-game playoff would be unnecessary since both teams (NY & BOS) will make the playoffs anyhow. So the AL EAST DIVISION CHAMPION is decided by head-to-head record, (which after today was 10-8 for NY, so even if Boston won tomorrow, the Yankees would still win the season series 10-9). Does that make sense?

Now let's say NY & CLE win tomorrow. Standings would be, NY 97-66, BOS 94-68, CLE 94-68. So NY is AL EAST CHAMPIONS, and then CLE and BOS would have a 1-game playoff @BOS (thanks to coin flip) for the Wild Card. That scenario was easy.

But for shits and giggles let's go through what ifs:

Let's say CLE won today instead of losing, so the records would have been; NY 95-66, BOS 94-67, CLE 94-67. Then, NY wouldn't have been popping champagne bottles yet because there's still a possibility that all 3 teams end up being tied at the end of the season. If that were the case and both BOS & CLE theoretically won the last game, all three teams would have been at 95-67. In a case like that BOS & NYY don't have a better record than the potential Wild Card Team (CLE)so it's not guaranteed that both NY & BOS will make the playoffs so then a 2-game playoff is played. First BOS visits NY to decide the AL EAST CHAMPIONS. And then the loser faces CLE for the Wild Card.

Another what if scenario: Let's just say CLE was 97-65 at the end of the season and NY & BOS were 95-67. CLE would automatically be the Wild Card. So the winner of the AL EAST would be the last playoff team, and 2nd place in the AL EAST doesn't get shit. Then NY & BOS would play a 1-game playoff to decide the winner of the AL EAST.

I guess the idea is the one-game playoff is only used as a tie breaker if it's to decide the last playoff team, otherwise, they go to head-to-head, divisional records, etc. Long and winded, but that shit is complicated.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    the gist: by winning today,t he yankees guaranteed themselves a share of the AL East; they also won the season series today, thereby taking the AL East tie-breaker (which would only be necessary if the red sox tie them atop the East tomorrow by winning the last game of the season and series). the only time teams need to play an actual game to break a tie is if doing so will determine a playoff spot. as it is, the indians have dropped (at least) 2/3 to the white sox, meaning the best they can hope for is a tie with the red sox (if the red sox lose 2/3 to the yankees). so if the indians win and the red sox lose, since there is no 'tie-breaker' between the indians and red sox (diff divisions), the two teams will play a tie-breaker one-game playoff monday at fenway for the tie-breaker.

IMG SRC=http://www.kingphilip.org/kpnorth/gr8tech/2003/student38/sitdown2.jpeg>
    "Is that a syringe in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
    "Yeah, it's a syringe."

well fine, make it concise and easy to understand

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• i'm just kind of confused...why were the yankees celebrating with champagne, there is still one game left and if the sox win tommorow there will be a one game playoff right ? or am i wrong ?

no, Yanks are Division Champions, baseball is weird like that. A one-game playoff to determine the Division Champion is only played if the 2 teams tied for the Division lead have a lower record than the Wild Card team from the league. But if the record of the 2 teams tied for the Division lead is higher than the best 2nd place team, then it's based on head-to-head meetings, and if it's still tied, division records, etc.

It's confusing, so let me use real teams and records:

After today, the Yankees are 95-66, Red Sox are 94-67, and Indians are 93-68.
    Even if the Indians and Red Sox win tomorrow, the best 2nd place team's (CLE) record will still be lower than the AL EAST DIVISION LEADER (NY & BOS would be 95-67, CLE 94-68) Therefore the Wild Card team will be the 2nd place team from the AL EAST (NY or BOS). In that situation a one-game playoff would be unnecessary since both teams (NY & BOS) will make the playoffs anyhow. So the AL EAST DIVISION CHAMPION is decided by head-to-head record, (which after today was 10-8 for NY, so even if Boston won tomorrow, the Yankees would still win the season series 10-9). Does that make sense?

Now let's say NY & CLE win tomorrow. Standings would be, NY 97-66, BOS 94-68, CLE 94-68. So NY is AL EAST CHAMPIONS, and then CLE and BOS would have a 1-game playoff @BOS (thanks to coin flip) for the Wild Card. That scenario was easy.

But for shits and giggles let's go through what ifs:

Let's say CLE won today instead of losing, so the records would have been; NY 95-66, BOS 94-67, CLE 94-67. Then, NY wouldn't have been popping champagne bottles yet because there's still a possibility that all 3 teams end up being tied at the end of the season. If that were the case and both BOS & CLE theoretically won the last game, all three teams would have been at 95-67. In a case like that BOS & NYY don't have a better record than the potential Wild Card Team (CLE)so it's not guaranteed that both NY & BOS will make the playoffs so then a 2-game playoff is played. First BOS visits NY to decide the AL EAST CHAMPIONS. And then the loser faces CLE for the Wild Card.

Another what if scenario: Let's just say CLE was 97-65 at the end of the season and NY & BOS were 95-67. CLE would automatically be the Wild Card. So the winner of the AL EAST would be the last playoff team, and 2nd place in the AL EAST doesn't get shit. Then NY & BOS would play a 1-game playoff to decide the winner of the AL EAST.

I guess the idea is the one-game playoff is only used as a tie breaker if it's to decide the last playoff team, otherwise, they go to head-to-head, divisional records, etc. Long and winded, but that shit is complicated.

if that's not the most confusing shit i've ever read.

NO one has brought up Boston's elimination.

Will the Yanks lose today?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

yes.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

NO one has brought up Boston's elimination.

I gotta admit, it's not looking good for my squad right now. But whatever happens this season, I'm smiling after watching my man El Duque shut down the Red Sox.

Getting out a bases loaded-no one out jam without allowing a run?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Or from the other side:

Blowing a bases loaded-no one out jam without scoring a run?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i hope the yankees get destroyed today...go angels!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i'm smiling after watching my man and ex-redsox short stop, orlando cabrera, stick it to the yankees.
    2-0 angels...yeah baby!

3- 2

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i should have known better...never open your mouth until its in the books. the angels still have 2 more innings.

i should have known better...never open your mouth until its in the books. the angels still have 2 more innings.

Yeah it aint over............

yes.

ITS ON BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• pknypkny 549 Posts

ITS ON BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    hey batmon and pkny...oh well, there is always next year. right?

hey batmon and pkny...oh well, there is always next year. right?

Hey Spiv........... YOUR NEXT!!!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    hey batmon...i was already the first to go (i'm a redsox fan). i just wanted the angels to beat you yanks out of spite and because i love seeing the yankees choke.

i just wanted the angels to beat you yanks out of spite and because i love seeing the yankees choke.